Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Performance boat school  trained or untrained >

Performance boat school trained or untrained

Notices

Performance boat school trained or untrained

Old 09-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

You appear to be caught up on the cost, that is not the point...

You appear to be willing to learn, that is good, you appear to be the type to feel like you are safe, that is good, you are open to learning, that is good. Now take it to the next level and become better at what you do. Fit it in when you can. Those that feel they are above learning are the ones that scare me.

Like I stated in both posts, whether it is a full fledged course or hooking up with a qualified teacher, as long as you learn the proper techniques, and the engineering behind what/way the boat responds like it does, you will be much safer.

This is a general statement, not at any specific person: Handling a bad situation can be un-nerving and coming out of it, even worse. (we have all seen the video, think that guy didn't feel comfortable ahead of time with his abilities?) My point, do what you feel is best, make the decision that feels good to you, but if something happens and you have not attempted to be a better driver, don't get upset when the internet bashes you to death...
Old 09-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
don't get upset when the internet bashes you to death...
I infer from your posts that you are a tool. I hope I am wrong!

BTW, I received an email from the man himself out of the blue last night - I had written in to the general mailbox some time ago when the class scheduled for Sandusky, Ohio cancelled to find out when it would be rescheduled. He wrote to tell me he is putting a class together for next spring and to invite me to participate. And he didn't infer that I would suck if I didn't!!! Class act!

Last edited by DucBoy; 09-19-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Registered

I've been called worse...

I guess I can be considered a tool, they are a mechanism used for fixing problems. And I hope that regardless of what people think of my brashness, they will take the time to consider what is important and better their abilities. That will help in fixing the current problem some have: lack of knowledge and safety habits.

A few weeks ago, after the "Fountain accident" we watched from our deck, people come and go from our cove (we are in a very popular cove, 50-100 boats come and go on a regular basis on a weekend day), In the 1/2 hour I watched , I would say only maybe 1 or 2 boats were wearing Jackets when they went to go on plane, and don't get me started on where many boats decelerated or took off in the cove, in comparison to the other boats, docks etc... And this IS NOT just performance boaters I am referring too. Safety is more than just getting on the throttles or turning.

Our sport is under attack from legislators to help protect us from ourselves, the more we do to help ourselves, the less it will get shoved down our throats by legislation.

Last edited by bajaholic; 09-19-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Bajaholic , You look good since you quit drinking .
Old 09-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Registered

Scary part is I have never drank, done drugs or smoked. Just worked all the time and take things too seriously apparently... I guess I don't see the issue in wanting to be safer and/or a better boater.

We have lost a number of Performance Boaters in the last few years, many of whom had experience far greater than many of us will ever achieve, yet some feel that their being able to own the boat, work the throttles and drive qualifies as vast experience. I guess until one actually takes a course, whether it be driving a car, motorcycle, aircraft or boat, they will not see or understand the value.

Mark my words: Our sport is under attack from legislators to help protect us from ourselves, the more we do to help ourselves, the less it will get shoved down our throats by legislation.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered

Just a general question and not geared towards anyone particular, but how many people or boaters on a poker run or in your general boating area do you see looking over there bow or to the side of their boat when they are getting on plane ??
Old 09-19-2012, 03:59 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
Scary part is I have never drank, done drugs or smoked. Just worked all the time and take things too seriously apparently... I guess I don't see the issue in wanting to be safer and/or a better boater.

We have lost a number of Performance Boaters in the last few years, many of whom had experience far greater than many of us will ever achieve, yet some feel that their being able to own the boat, work the throttles and drive qualifies as vast experience. I guess until one actually takes a course, whether it be driving a car, motorcycle, aircraft or boat, they will not see or understand the value.

Mark my words: Our sport is under attack from legislators to help protect us from ourselves, the more we do to help ourselves, the less it will get shoved down our throats by legislation.
And the first thing they will do is require us to take a "course" or get a "license". That way they can register or mark everyone who has this type of boat.

The same way they do everything else. So only thing your helping with these rants are the "man".
Old 09-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Registered

The Navy has spent millions of dollars training my peers and I to fly F18s worth $60 million each. Unfortunate events still happen on occasion! Sometimes it's mechanical failure and more often then not it is pilot error. Just because you have years of experience and expert schooling doesn't mean you are immune to screwing up. It's all about knowing the capabilities and limits of your equipment.

I myself can not afford to attend a performance boat handling school, but I am confident in my skill and knowledge from years of boating. If something happens I will only blame myself.

As a highly trained aviator who has experienced speeds well over 1200 mph, I find it absurd when people make comments about others who "should've had training."

I have plenty of friends who have funged it away even after years of training. Some of them are no longer with us.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Registered

CLA: I am not totally disagreeing with you, but what you consider a rant I consider discussion in a boating forum to protect our sport.

If legislation becomes eminent in taking a class to operate, what do you think will happen to the cost of the courses, the cost of the license and then the ability to tax you on a yearly basis to keep it up to date? Personally I doubt that cost will go down...

If we are proactive, try to figure out a way of getting more educated operators, less accidents will happen, less press, less exposure, we will also get less noticed by those that want to protect us from ourselves. So being "the man" is not being "the boy".

DIVERKR, I agree, accidents do happen, training is what keeps the less severe ones from becoming severe.

Again the cost.... I would think for a few hundred dollars (the cost of less than one tank of fuel) most people could find a instructor to give the proper training on their specific boat. I have noticed in the people responding, some have straight bottoms, and are smaller length boats. This is not a negative at all, but as you add power,(multiple engines)length, stepped bottom, speed, etc, all the learning changes. That is why continuing education is important. If you want to step into the "full course" that is where you need to make a decision as to your level of comfort and what you want to achieve.

In my own experience, I thought I was a pretty good driver, have been around boats my entire life, and owned numerous ones for 25+ years. I can tell you flat out the course was an eye opening experience, and that after taking the course I am MUCH better with my skills. My co-pilot/wife was NOT keen on the money I spent, I took the advanced course, but afterwards, she too commented how much smoother our operation was and she too felt more confident when we were in rough water because she knew I had the additional training.

And as I stated earlier, the smoother operation, translates to less wear on parts, specifically drives/props etc. Less breakage, less cost overall.

Last edited by bajaholic; 09-19-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Registered

Default Unhappy customers?

I was just wondering how many people have taken this course over the years and felt it was not a good value regardless of cost?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.