Performance boat school trained or untrained

Notices

Performance boat school trained or untrained

Old 09-19-2012, 04:16 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
I am not totally disagreeing with you, but what you consider a rant I consider discussion in a boating forum to protect our sport.

If legislation becomes eminent in taking a class to operate, what do you think will happen to the cost of the courses, the cost of the license and then the ability to tax you on a yearly basis to keep it up to date? Personally I doubt that cost will go down...

If we are proactive, try to figure out a way of getting more educated operators, less accidents will happen, less press, less exposure, we will also get less noticed by those that want to protect us from ourselves. So being "the man" is not being "the boy".
Buy a cat and you will learn about cost. I have never owned a v bottom only cats on my 5th one. I'm sure Tres is a great instructor but don't you think he would LOVE Markel to require a course for all cat owners? Damn right he would! $2500 a pop. I'm not talking trash, but I own a business and my goal is to make a profit. I'm sure he is the same. Hell I was afraid to file a small claim on my hotrod with Hagerty because I wanted my record clean for the boat....lol

I think most guys boating at a high level are proactive, safe, and doing the right thing. You don't?
Old 09-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

[QUOTE=bajaholic;3780005]Scary part is I have never drank .

Well then you need to start . Learn how to relax before you give yourself a stroke . Now sit down with a libation and read this and understand . I have known men that have been welders all their life but yet they can not weld . I have known men that can run an underground mining machine yet they can not operate one . Unfortunately there are many that can not read what a machine is telling them because they simply do not have the skills needed . Can these skills be learned you asked ? Some of it can , some of it comes with experience but some people just do not have the God given talent or feel to truly operate anything at a high performance level . When i bought my cat i sought out the guy's that had many years of experience flying this hull type to teach me . From there i went on experimenting to find all the known and unknown edges of my particular cat so as not to be caught off guard when water conditions or traffic dictated a particular maneuver . In the right water conditions i can pin your head to your shoulder or powerslide a turn , neither are recommended but yes i can do it and have many times . You either have a feel for machinery or you do not . That my friend can not be taught ! I have met many a man that could do anything with his mouth and absolutely nothing with his hands . the deep
Old 09-19-2012, 04:24 PM
CLA
Registered

[QUOTE=the deep;3780070]
Scary part is I have never drank .

Well then you need to start . Learn how to relax before you give yourself a stroke . Now sit down with a libation and read this and understand . I have known men that have been welders all their life but yet they can not weld . I have known men that can run an underground mining machine yet they can not operate one . Unfortunately there are many that can not read what a machine is telling them because they simply do not have the skills needed . Can these skills be learned you asked ? Some of it can , some of it comes with experience but some people just do not have the God given talent or feel to truly operate anything at a high performance level . When i bought my cat i sought out the guy's that had many years of experience flying this hull type to teach me . From there i went on experimenting to find all the known and unknown edges of my particular cat so as not to be caught off guard when water conditions or traffic dictated a particular maneuver . In the right water conditions i can pin your head to your shoulder or powerslide a turn , neither are recommended but yes i can do it and have many times . You either have a feel for machinery or you do not . That my friend can not be taught ! I have met many a man that could do anything with his mouth and absolutely nothing with his hands . the deep
I like this!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

I have had boats my entire life, flatbottoms / daycruisers/ Jet boats.
When i got the Cigarette i decided that it might be a good idea to take the course. plus saving some money on insurance is never a bad thing.

What i didn't expect was how much i would learn. If you are running a straight bottom boat then a lot of the class will be a waste but if you have a step boat or cat then it is a must.

It would really be hard to describe all the info that you receive but even now years after taking the class i find myself thinking back to what Tres said during certain situations. You get a huge amount of data from him and it did seem overwhelming at times but i truly believe that it made me a safer driver.

If you have the money to buy a performance boat then to say you can't afford the class is nonsense. kind of like buying a race bike but can't afford a good helmet. You really need to look at your priorities.
and to say that you know the limits of your boat and will stay under that is a fantasy, Hell Tres has been thrown from his boat but that is how he can sit there and tell you what to look for before you get that far.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Brad just wanted to let people know about the upcoming classes, not start a big debate about nothing!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
When i bought my cat i sought out the guy's that had many years of experience flying this hull type to teach me . From there i went on experimenting to find all the known and unknown edges of my particular cat
BINGO, we have a winner! You went to someone to show you the correct way to start. That is the point. You think I am arguing, I am not. Just pointing out what everyone deep down already knows, learning is important. I love it when a plan comes together...
Old 09-19-2012, 04:36 PM
CLA
Registered

BINGO, we have a winner! You went to someone to show you the correct way to start. That is the point. You think I am arguing, I am not. Just pointing out what everyone deep down already knows, learning is important. I love it when a plan comes together...
Yea, and he probably built a friendship. That's what hotrod stuff is really about!

So why not just put everything that's in this class in a nice youtube channel for all the performance boat owners? Would that not help our sport more than anything? That's what I would do if I had all that knowledge.

When a kid comes over to my house to get some help with a header install or a nitrous kit I don't charge him anything. I teach him how to do things correctly. You know like real gearheads used to do.

Last edited by CLA; 09-19-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Do it for free , what a concept . Most of us here are greedy capitalist pigs .
Old 09-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CLA
Yea, and he probably built a friendship. That's what hotrod stuff is really about!

When a kid comes over to my house to get some help with a header install or a nitrous kit I don't charge him anything. I teach him how to do things correctly. You know like real gearheads used to do.
You my friend are a good man and yes there are still some of us real gearheads around . I rarely find more amusement than hovering over a friends bilge admiring the masterpiece he built with his own two hands .
Old 09-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy has a Z06 capable of 200mph that he has owned for 4 years now. I can't wait to tell him that he should feel "obligated" to spend thousands on a performance driving school because disaster is inevitable without it, haha.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.