Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them....... >

Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......

Notices

Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......

Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up good call

o/b sonic great thread!
I'll play for sure

Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Thank...

Originally Posted by sonnycrockett
o/b sonic great thread!
I'll play for sure
you sir and welcome aboard.
Cool looking rig too!

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 09-25-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
They loose me when they go from performance/pleasure to race. Still admire them but not for me. Becomes a cat. When you're done playing then what??
I understand that I am the 1/10 of 1% that actually use this style/size of boat for a weekender but I/we do and that changes a ton.
I've said forever that if I could get funding and build an up to date version of what I have......, pad, 2nd set of full strakes, construction method etc, etc, I might be content for a while and think I could sell them. 70 w/a single DI 300 ??
Performance is big for me but after that afternoon blast, then it becomes cabin access,cabin size, and access to front deck.
I went to the Miami show twice while my antique was in process and my brain was mush and the Mrs told me "lets just buy something new and be done". Closest thing I ever found was the twin O/B Velocity (I think called a 32' now) which I don't think had a sun lounge which is another deal breaker to me. I really liked the 30' Concept but no sun lounge (or storage under it) either and after what I went through to add one to my Sonic....., kinda like our patio when at anchor. It's a must have.
I agree brother, Id take a 28 Skater over the 27 kryptonite....neither REALLY have a cabin anyhow
Old 09-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Found these in the Classic boat forum.

There used to be a 29' phantom (??) with twin 2.5' ob's called "Showtime" in the late 80's - I believe it was featured in a Motor Boat and Sailing Mag once. Anyone have pic's of it?
Attached Thumbnails Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......-5%2520astor%2520001.jpg   Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......-file0144.jpg   Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......-twim%2520velocity1.jpg  

Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......-twin%2520velocity4.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

The biggest reasons for purchasing my Checkmate 2800SX was the size of the cabin for a 28' boat, the performance with twin 2.4/2.5 Mercury power and the freeboard of the boat. When Checkmate developed the 2800SX for racing, the cockpit was slid aft giving the boat a really long bow and the transom was cut down for outboard tilt clearance. Unlike many of the other 25-30' outboard performance boats that had "flat decks" and little headroom, the Checkmate's deck rises from the rubrail a good 18"+ giving the boat a nice size cabin and making the boat look alot bigger than it really is!! The fact that my boat was built with AME 4000 resin (lighter than the standard layup) and 24" of setback on Gil brackets, I should run pretty good with moderate power plants. I'm going to cover the race hatch over the splashwell with a sunpad for the wife...and I'll wind up with a great all around, fast, outboard powered, performance boat!
Attached Thumbnails Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......-checkmate-2800-port-waxed.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by shaun1368
Found these in the Classic boat forum.

There used to be a 29' phantom (??) with twin 2.5' ob's called "Showtime" in the late 80's - I believe it was featured in a Motor Boat and Sailing Mag once. Anyone have pic's of it?
The red Velocity is Gaberdeen down in the islands ( can't remember which). He picked up an I/O velocity a while back. Cool little 22. Great thread Gary.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

In 93 Steve Stepp built this one for me to my specs. I rigged and dialed the boat in. 26' ThoroughBred- Velocity, Kevlar hull. I installed a Porta bracket, from Steve Porte in Daytona. 2 Evolution Marine prepared Johnson V-8s 400 hp each. Boat ran 106 and was evil on acceleration, and handled the ruff unbelievable. Sold the boat in 2005 went to up state Pa. I miss the boat at times. Bob
Attached Thumbnails Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......-velocity1.jpg   Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......-scan0010.jpg   Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......-dash.jpg  

Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......-cockpit.jpg   Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......-cabin.jpg   Twin (multiple) O/B Vee thread, let's see them.......-trailer.jpg  

Old 09-26-2012, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by EXCESS ENERGY
In 93 Steve Stepp built this one for me to my specs. I rigged and dialed the boat in. 26' ThoroughBred- Velocity, Kevlar hull. I installed a Porta bracket, from Steve Porte in Daytona. 2 Evolution Marine prepared Johnson V-8s 400 hp each. Boat ran 106 and was evil on acceleration, and handled the ruff unbelievable. Sold the boat in 2005 went to up state Pa. I miss the boat at times. Bob
Yours (Bob) was on my short list before I found mine on Lake Lanier.

Bob
Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Wow!

Originally Posted by EXCESS ENERGY
Being an OMC guy too...., wow! Thanks for the pix's. That's exactly the reason this thread is here.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread.
I'll find some pix.
Member ctsutphen30? Has a 30' sutphen with twin merc 300. Real cool boat. The windshield isn't exactly my thing. It's similar to a formula windshield but bigger....

I also really liked member highlifes ( rip ) 27' mag sedan with twin merc 300
Id actually like to get my hands on a sedan for a quick overnighter but ill prob rig it sob on bracket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.