IMCO SCX Drive Replacement? >

IMCO SCX Drive Replacement?

Notices

IMCO SCX Drive Replacement?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
Both SCX's, and the lowers have been blueprinted by Wilson. These are the drives I bought for my OL.

This is something to keep in mind that I never really thought about when trying to decide on the SCX's, not sure how accurate it is, but the opinion made sense to me. The faster your boat goes, the more the SCX's may effect top speed. So for a 125+ MPH Fountain, it's not hard to believe that the drives robbed that much speed. But for let's just say a 90-100MPH boat, you're probably not going to see the same 10 MPH loss. I don't think there's any doubt that the SCX lower is going to cost you speed though, you just have to decide if you can live with it for the reliability. But, when you here numbers like -10 MPH, it can scare you off.

For me, it's never been about top speed, it's about reliability, so buying Eric's drives was an easy decision regardless of how much they will slow me down (although I don't think it will be 10 MPH).

I don't know exactly when I can get my boat splashed, but I will post my results ASAP.
Correct on all above. I highly doubt you will scrub as much speed as we did. Again, we loved our SCX's and had ZERO problems with them. They were just not a fit anymore with our current setup. Im pumped to see how they work for you!!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by TRL505
Correct on all above. I highly doubt you will scrub as much speed as we did. Again, we loved our SCX's and had ZERO problems with them. They were just not a fit anymore with our current setup. Im pumped to see how they work for you!!
That sounds like the same prob fountains had with the nxt lower. so many of them wound up with nxt and #6 lowers. .... thats what amazes me about some of the people on this forum, they say just bolt this and that on with no thought on researching it. not every drive or lower is compatible with every hull, its just the facts.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
That sounds like the same prob fountains had with the nxt lower. so many of them wound up with nxt and #6 lowers. .... thats what amazes me about some of the people on this forum, they say just bolt this and that on with no thought on researching it. not every drive or lower is compatible with every hull, its just the facts.
Oh we researched...lots. At the time there were not many choices for the HP we were running. The SCX-4 had not been released yet. And the Arnesons were out of our price range. All I know is we stopped grenading lowers and that was good...despite the loss in speed.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Oh we researched...lots. At the time there were not many choices for the HP we were running. The SCX-4 had not been released yet. And the Arnesons were out of our price range. All I know is we stopped grenading lowers and that was good...despite the loss in speed.
didnt mean you, certain other cheerleaders . I think on the fountains its the bigger lower torpedo on the scx and nxt,just messes with the hydrodynamics of the boat.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll agree, but I did pick up a few, 2, MPH with the -4. Maybe IMCO can make a 6 style lower that bolts right on to the SCX-4 upper. What do you think Dave? I'd buy it and I'm sure a lot of others would too.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

I probably wouldnt have gone to the scx if i was going to lose 10mph
but my boat was only going 85mph with low fuel and couple people

In Destin with it full of fuel and four people/ hot and humid with smooth water it went right up to 81mph without even trying, so i'm sure that in the right conditions ill be over 85 now.

But the speed gain is from going to a labbed prop that i couldn't run before with the bravos.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For what you are spending in total the Arnesons are way cheaper. Two drives that slow'd you down 10 mph plus the used #6's and labor... That 10 mph had to hurt though.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA
I'll agree, but I did pick up a few, 2, MPH with the -4. Maybe IMCO can make a 6 style lower that bolts right on to the SCX-4 upper. What do you think Dave? I'd buy it and I'm sure a lot of others would too.
Yeah, from what I understand the -4 lower is a lot faster than the original SCX lower..especially on high X boats like Ftns. I think 575cat is still dialing his in..Im curious to see where his boat ends up, as its about the same HP as we are running.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by h20 toie
I probably wouldnt have gone to the scx if i was going to lose 10mph
but my boat was only going 85mph with low fuel and couple people

In Destin with it full of fuel and four people/ hot and humid with smooth water it went right up to 81mph without even trying, so i'm sure that in the right conditions ill be over 85 now.

But the speed gain is from going to a labbed prop that i couldn't run before with the bravos.
Sweet!! The SCX's obvioulsy dont adversly affect speed on all hulls!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rik
For what you are spending in total the Arnesons are way cheaper. Two drives that slow'd you down 10 mph plus the used #6's and labor... That 10 mph had to hurt though.
Oh I agree Rik...hindsight being 20/20 we could of went with some ASD's and been money way ahead!!

I have a long history of making bad decisions on this boat..why stop now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.