Sanding a lower unit for speed >

Sanding a lower unit for speed

Notices

Sanding a lower unit for speed

Old 10-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I keep mine sanded, i started with 60 then 80 then 120 and finally 220. I keep them shiney with a 3M scotchbrite red pad and wd40. being as i have really done nothing other than make them satin finish, other than looking good i couldnt tell ya.
Might want to try veggie oil vs WD40...a little more enviro friendly.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scarab63
5 mph net is pretty DARRn good for some elbow grease.....
What's the secret hex film called...?
http://www.proboat.com/blueprint-for-speed.html

Interesting, most of us just keep adding HP

Curious to see if any DIY'ers on this site have trued a lower unit themselves.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nova26
What kind of boat?
I'll bet it's a Skater...
Old 10-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
http://www.proboat.com/blueprint-for-speed.html

Interesting, most of us just keep adding HP

Curious to see if any DIY'ers on this site have trued a lower unit themselves.
very interesting read... if it wasnt 5k i'd consider it
Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its proprietary and called hex hyde. Its in testing phase on 2u boats right now. Results will be available soon
Old 10-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no worries

Originally Posted by bwd
Better put motor in before you bother sanding your lower. Just sayin. LOL
Heads getting flowed now.
It'll b back together soon.

Don't u worry bout me Mr...u know I like to stack my plate high.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Registered

Having a true straight lower on a twin engine appllication is beneficial but i don't think this is the case on a single engine app.

Outboard drag racers have been sanding/profiling lower units for many, many years, and straight was not what they were after. Running a high x dim will result in increased speed but on a single it will try to prop walk. Prop walk will cause the driver to crab the lower to keep the boat in a straight line. Look at the skeg mounted torque tabs on the fastest of outboard drag boats and you wouldn't believe the curve. Drag boat skegs running right hand rotation props will have the stbd leading edge ground on back to mid skeg. On the port side, from mid skeg back to the trailing edge is ground on. This curved skeg is the fastest setup on a single engine.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Lauderdaleboats
Having a true straight lower on a twin engine appllication is beneficial but i don't think this is the case on a single engine app.

Outboard drag racers have been sanding/profiling lower units for many, many years, and straight was not what they were after. Running a high x dim will result in increased speed but on a single it will try to prop walk. Prop walk will cause the driver to crab the lower to keep the boat in a straight line. Look at the skeg mounted torque tabs on the fastest of outboard drag boats and you wouldn't believe the curve. Drag boat skegs running right hand rotation props will have the stbd leading edge ground on back to mid skeg. On the port side, from mid skeg back to the trailing edge is ground on. This curved skeg is the fastest setup on a single engine.
never really thought about it but that makes a lot of sense. Interesting . . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I talked with Steve that owns RPM and he said the same. I believe he is putting tq tabs on his lowers on those little cats.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:09 AM
bwd
Registered

Very interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.