Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Volvo's new small block beats its 8.1 big block >

Volvo's new small block beats its 8.1 big block

Notices

Volvo's new small block beats its 8.1 big block

Old 10-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

That boat is going to surprise some people!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by befu
Yeah, I am not really worried about my 272 with 300 +/- HP in it. I was more thinking along the lines of the older 30' scarabs or the Formula SR1 292 or 311's that you see out there that have been parted for the drives, transom assm, transmissions and motors.

350 - 400 HP small blocks would seem like a nice little setup for a 60 - 65 mph boat. SBC are just so cheap to build, and I figure I put used drives and transom assemblies on my boat for about $1000 total. $5,000 to $6,000 grand total to repower a 30' scarab for 60mph is really cheap. But that is just that much more weight straining those drives.

I picture a 30' scarab with the small blocks leaving tons of room in front of the engines. Remove the back seat and slide the whole thing backwards at least 2', maybe 3'. Open up the cockpit space some more for extra seating. Might just be me due to 9 kids.... Hopefully by next summer we are back down to just our own 5, we will see.

Brian
The way I look at the evolution of budget boating, the drive is the pivot point. In my plans...the boat becomes secondary to the engines and propulsion system...because that's where the money is. Once your in the Bravo arena...you broaden the power and size options. The strong LS architecture and Bravo drives...allow your expansion with twins to move easily between 25'~35'. You simply move the power and drives from boat to boat. Used Bravo 1 drives are more and more plentiful and the prices of them are approaching Alpha prices in some areas. When you consider the simplicity and strength of the LS platform along with the power they produce...not to mention the expanding availability from salvaged trucks and SUV's...you get a winning combination.

With reliable 500 HP and nearly as much TQ available with mild tuning on a re-built, marinized LS...running thru a Bravo drive...you get a terrific package. Running in twins....1000 horsepower will make a bullet out of any powerboat between 25'~35'.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow imagine that that's why I put LS motors in my cat over four years ago da
Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
...Volvo's late to the party with this combo but at least they showed up!
And Mercury is now the only significant marine manufacturer NOT producing an LS-based product... Hello? McFly??

Speaking of which, are there any sales figures available for the much-ballyhooed Merc 565's? I heard that package was removed from the in-water Formula 400SS demo boat from the Miami Boat Show due to disappointing performance. (No faster than a 525-powered 400SS.)

Oh - And another two thumbs-up for the Volvo/Innovation 600's. Mine are at 566 hours, with only a valve spring change at 350 hours.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
The way I look at the evolution of budget boating, the drive is the pivot point. In my plans...the boat becomes secondary to the engines and propulsion system...because that's where the money is. Once your in the Bravo arena...you broaden the power and size options. The strong LS architecture and Bravo drives...allow your expansion with twins to move easily between 25'~35'. You simply move the power and drives from boat to boat. Used Bravo 1 drives are more and more plentiful and the prices of them are approaching Alpha prices in some areas. When you consider the simplicity and strength of the LS platform along with the power they produce...not to mention the expanding availability from salvaged trucks and SUV's...you get a winning combination.
Yeah, I think I will start learning about bravo's and watching for parts. I love the alpha's for thier simplicity and cheapness, but they really do limit you to under 400 Hp or lower as the boat gets heavier.

I am developing my project list for this winter on the 272. After running it next summer, I should have a better idea of what direction I want to go for the next boat on where I use it. I do know I am very interested in pursueing a small block powered boat.

Brian
Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray
And Mercury is now the only significant marine manufacturer NOT producing an LS-based product... Hello? McFly??

Speaking of which, are there any sales figures available for the much-ballyhooed Merc 565's? I heard that package was removed from the in-water Formula 400SS demo boat from the Miami Boat Show due to disappointing performance. (No faster than a 525-powered 400SS.)

Oh - And another two thumbs-up for the Volvo/Innovation 600's. Mine are at 566 hours, with only a valve spring change at 350 hours.
I have done quite a bit of scavenging for parts and accessories for my SBC/Formula 255 project over the past 2 years. Saying that I have learned that the superior parts that I have used come from either Volvo or Marine Power. It's very obvious from a design/engineering perspective that MerCruiser does cut corners in many areas compared to these two builders.

Mercury has done a great job for the past 50 years proliferating the recreational boating industry with millions of copies of Alpha and Bravo drives. They are simple and do a good job for the most part...but...they are far from the best. In production boats that distinction goes to Volvo. I wish the used parts were more readily available or I would use their equipment. My partner has a Sea Ray 29' Amberjack w/twin Volvo Diesels running thru Volvo DP drives....I turn green every time I'm on it.

Having said all of that...do we really care whether MerCruiser builds a version of the LS platform? Especially if aftermarket equipment is available to marinize the LS and adapt it to what ever drive? I have had "Big Players" in the Offshore Business tell me that the best rigs are put together avoiding as many MerCruiser parts as possible.

Last edited by sprink58; 10-11-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports
We need people like you leading the way! If something horrible were to happen to my 6.2s, I would definitely be going that route.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports
OK,,have a laugh on me...I guess I'm the "Master of the Obvious" on this but the light bulb turns on for all of us at some point
Old 10-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
I have done quite a bit of scavenging for parts and accessories for my SBC/Formula 255 project over the past 2 years. Saying that I have learned that the superior parts that I have used come from either Volvo or Marine Power. It's very obvious from a design/engineering perspective that MerCruiser does cut corners in many areas compared to these two builders.

Mercury has done a great job for the past 50 years proliferating the recreational boating industry with millions of copies of Alpha and Bravo drives. They are simple and do a good job for the most part...but...they are far from the best. In production boats that distinction goes to Volvo. I wish the used parts were more readily available or I would use their equipment. My partner has a Sea Ray 29' Amberjack w/twin Volvo Diesels running thru Volvo DP drives....I turn green every time I'm on it.

Having said all of that...do we really care whether MerCruiser builds a version of the LS platform? Especially if aftermarket equipment is available to marinize the LS and adapt it to what ever drive? I have had "Big Players" in the Offshore Business tell me that the best rigs are put together avoiding as many MerCruiser parts as possible.
Merc does not cut corners, they are very specifically designed and engineered points of failure.

The reason used Volvo parts arent more readily available is . . . . well . . . most are still in service
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Wasnt Volvo marine out of business at one time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.