Notices

Hurrican Sandy going to hit NJ.......

Old 11-02-2012, 03:32 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Tim
Are you missing work with all this coverage ?
Yes, I took some time off. I figured now that I decided not to go to Key West I might as well do something constructive with my time ....

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 11-02-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:42 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Only reports I have seen is they report the ocean meeting the bay at the foot of the Mantoloking Bridge. (A new Inlet) What I haven't seen is them report of the second inlet just a block or two to the north of it is another breach.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 11-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
Only reports I have seen is they report the ocean meeting the bay at the foot of the Mantoloking Bridge. (A new Inlet) What I haven't seen is them report of the second inlet just a block or two to the north of it is another breach.

Great pics Sharkey. Thank You.

Sandy raised a lot of hell.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
I can't say that is necessarily true. Windsor, Ontario were going to send some Hydro workers "ENWIN" (Union workers) to help and were told that they were not needed right now. Our (Union) Hydro workers are on standby. I don't understand that decision not to have anybody, Union or not coming to help.
I wanted to clarify something, this is not about Union or Non-Union workers. The statement was made that they were turning away help if you were not a Union Member or something like that. As I had stated, Union workers from Windsor offered to go and help but were told that they were not needed right now. From what I have seen and heard people need all the help they can get whether from Union or non-union. I can't figure this out as it doesn't make any sense. Here is an article from our local radio station and it was on TV also. I don't know if this is going to work but try this.

www.am800cklw.com/headlines.php, then click on Headlines-AM800CKLW and scroll down to the article "ENWIN Help Not Needed". Hopefully it will show that someone feels that they don't need any help right now from Non - Union or Unions Members , it has nothing to do with Unions from what I read.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:06 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Great pics Sharkey. Thank You.

Sandy raised a lot of hell.
THANK YOU !

I stand corrected !

Having another look through that area, there are now 3 inlets in Mantoloking.

Here is the 3rd a little further North.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 11-02-2012, 05:29 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

They need to contact the officials in Hatteras. That tiny strip of land gets breached all the time.....as a matter of fact it was breached when Sandy passed by. They have had to close inlets that tug boats were able to use. Lots of experience there (them and the corp of engineers).
What's more "scarey"......the barrier island of Hatteras is nearly 20 miles from the mainland, you can't even SEE the mainland for miles.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope this helps keep NJ OSO members informed about power outages

http://outages.firstenergycorp.com/rep_m.html?region=nj

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 11-02-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My heart goes out to all who have suffered a loss in this storm.
I finally fulfilled a dream and purchased a house near Monterey Beach in September, GREAT TIMING!
Was thinking about trailering my boat down from NY and running across the bay to check the house for damage. Anybody know any launch sites that are still usable? Is the channel that leads into Ocean Beach Marina still there?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by brett_p
This happened a whole lot after Katrina in the New Orleans area, some people sold their gutted homes for dirt cheap which you can imagine will bring into your neighborhoods and some sold their properties to the government which led to them being torn down. It's a very frustrating time for the people that rebuild and your neighbor or neighbors don't and you're stuck living next to or in the same vicinity of gutted homes sitting empty. I'm sure you all will have lots of this happening where some of you live
You are absolutely correct. I'm actually from Chalmette as well. Was born and raised there. I lived there during Katrina. We actually sold our home to the government in a plan called "The Road Home". Like most, I was terribly under insured. My house was 5.5' above the 100 year flood mark. THe worst flood that they expected in 100 years, my house was 5 1/2' above that. We thought that we would never see more than a few inches in the house. We only had 80K in flood insurance on a 265K house. Katrina put over 15 feet of water in my house. It was to my chest on the second floor. Needless to say, there was no way that i could replace everything I own and rebuild a totaled house with 80K.

"The Road Home" was configured like this....they take 80% of the house's prestorm value. From that they deducted what you received from insurance and FEMA (which was nothing for me) and pay you that amount. The Gov. then owns the house and tears it down. It took months and months to get it resolved, but I really had no choice. I had no plans of rebuilding and returning. We decided to and had the oppotunity to move to Nashville. It was a great thing for us. We still didn't come out ok, but it was better than any other way to go. For people that are upside down in their house, this plan won't get you out. THe best you will end up with is 80%. Then, you still have to replace EVERYTHING you own.

I not only had the house to deal with, but a shop as well. THe shop had no flood insurance, so we were screwed there. Most of the houses on my street were torn down. That area isn't the same, and probably never will be. It's a shame really. The other problem is the blighted houses. You may rebuild your house but the neighbors don't and let the grass grow to 4' high. It then attracts mice, which attracts snakes.That was a huge problem where I lived. The other issue is safety. If not many other houses are fixed and lived in, you could be the only house on that block that's being lived in. Everything else is pitch dark at night. You are the only one around. In New Orleans, that was like a welcome sign for criminals. You had no one else around to help. You house stood out like a beacon all lit up at night while the rest of the street was dark.

I wish everyone the best. I can certainly relate to what you are going through. Hang in there. I will get better, but it will never be the same.
Eddie
Old 11-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
You are absolutely correct. I'm actually from Chalmette as well. Was born and raised there. I lived there during Katrina. We actually sold our home to the government in a plan called "The Road Home". Like most, I was terribly under insured. My house was 5.5' above the 100 year flood mark. THe worst flood that they expected in 100 years, my house was 5 1/2' above that. We thought that we would never see more than a few inches in the house. We only had 80K in flood insurance on a 265K house. Katrina put over 15 feet of water in my house. It was to my chest on the second floor. Needless to say, there was no way that i could replace everything I own and rebuild a totaled house with 80K.

"The Road Home" was configured like this....they take 80% of the house's prestorm value. From that they deducted what you received from insurance and FEMA (which was nothing for me) and pay you that amount. The Gov. then owns the house and tears it down. It took months and months to get it resolved, but I really had no choice. I had no plans of rebuilding and returning. We decided to and had the oppotunity to move to Nashville. It was a great thing for us. We still didn't come out ok, but it was better than any other way to go. For people that are upside down in their house, this plan won't get you out. THe best you will end up with is 80%. Then, you still have to replace EVERYTHING you own.

I not only had the house to deal with, but a shop as well. THe shop had no flood insurance, so we were screwed there. Most of the houses on my street were torn down. That area isn't the same, and probably never will be. It's a shame really. The other problem is the blighted houses. You may rebuild your house but the neighbors don't and let the grass grow to 4' high. It then attracts mice, which attracts snakes.That was a huge problem where I lived. The other issue is safety. If not many other houses are fixed and lived in, you could be the only house on that block that's being lived in. Everything else is pitch dark at night. You are the only one around. In New Orleans, that was like a welcome sign for criminals. You had no one else around to help. You house stood out like a beacon all lit up at night while the rest of the street was dark.

I wish everyone the best. I can certainly relate to what you are going through. Hang in there. I will get better, but it will never be the same.
Eddie
Well put Eddie. It's hurts to rember. There still trying to rebuild. If You ever come home I would like to take You out in the boat or at least meet You in New Orleans an treat You to a great meal. God Bless. Artie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.