Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why did they not get their boats out? >

Why did they not get their boats out?

Notices

Why did they not get their boats out?

Old 11-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sad to see all the damage done by Sandy... And this is just the beginning. Boats that aren't considered salvaged immediately will continue to deteriorate as the stress of the storm bears down on the boat over future use. If your boat survived, it's probably not a bad idea to get it check out for less obvious damage before you start using it just to be safe. Best of luck to all that were affected by the storm. You are in my thoughts and prayers and if I could buy you each a beer, I would...

Old 11-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

I work at a marina, so let me try to answer the original question. And just so you know, we have just under 200 slips, a Travel Lift, a double wide Launch Ramp, 2 Hydraulic Trailers, 6 (boatyard) Roller Trailers, 3 Pontoon Boat Trailers, 4 Tractors and 3 Heavy Duty Fork Lifts, 6 Pickup Trucks and just about anything else one could need. We also have a well trained crew to run everything. Although we didn't suffer any damage, here's why we couldn't ever get everything out - even with a week's notice.

1) Not all trailerable boats have trailers. Many come out on yard roller trailers and get bumped onto blocks. Figure an hour per boat.

2) Of the boats that do have trailers, all of them are stored off site. To get the trailer and put the boat on it, figure an hour a boat. Oh, and add another hour to get the boat and trailer back to the storage yard.

3) Of the boats large enough to require a Travel Lift to pull, figure at least 2 hours per boat to haul out and block.

4) For big boats that can come out on a Hydraulic Trailer and then get blocked, figure at least 2 hours per boat.

Without going any further, is anybody starting to see just how difficult it is to pull everything and safely store it? And nothing ever breaks down, and everything runs like clockwork ...

I will offer one opinion though. We're in upstate New York and boating season ended well over a month ago. Anybody still in the water was a little foolish anyway. We get the same folks every year who want to see the fall foliage or take one last boat ride on the one warm day. So, was it worth it?
Old 11-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
First off, thanks to all the well wishers & prayers sent for the people afflicted by this hurricane.
Now, back to my small problem..the damn locust tree. Well as I have found out chainsaws are at a premium & scarce as hens teeth in these situations. But, I have managed to procure one for a hour or so and began removal of the tree (which is a great reminder of my age 58) to relieve some of the weight from the powerboat. I placed a sheet of 3/4 plywood under the tree (over the powerboat) and cut back as far as possible. The rest will have to be lifted off with a machine to prevent further damage. Hoping for the best (deck damage) as I have owned this Cigarette Firefox since new & am fond of it.
To all the rest.......God Bless.
You should have called Sunkin, he could have told you exactly where to cut the tree so the hull would not be stressed.

Hope its ok.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
I work at a marina, so let me try to answer the original question. And just so you know, we have just under 200 slips, a Travel Lift, a double wide Launch Ramp, 2 Hydraulic Trailers, 6 (boatyard) Roller Trailers, 3 Pontoon Boat Trailers, 4 Tractors and 3 Heavy Duty Fork Lifts, 6 Pickup Trucks and just about anything else one could need. We also have a well trained crew to run everything. Although we didn't suffer any damage, here's why we couldn't ever get everything out - even with a week's notice.

1) Not all trailerable boats have trailers. Many come out on yard roller trailers and get bumped onto blocks. Figure an hour per boat.

2) Of the boats that do have trailers, all of them are stored off site. To get the trailer and put the boat on it, figure an hour a boat. Oh, and add another hour to get the boat and trailer back to the storage yard.

3) Of the boats large enough to require a Travel Lift to pull, figure at least 2 hours per boat to haul out and block.

4) For big boats that can come out on a Hydraulic Trailer and then get blocked, figure at least 2 hours per boat.

Without going any further, is anybody starting to see just how difficult it is to pull everything and safely store it? And nothing ever breaks down, and everything runs like clockwork ...

I will offer one opinion though. We're in upstate New York and boating season ended well over a month ago. Anybody still in the water was a little foolish anyway. We get the same folks every year who want to see the fall foliage or take one last boat ride on the one warm day. So, was it worth it?

Saved me a lot of typing, my boat is safe home on the trailer. But alot of people don't even have a trailer the just show up at the marina and get in, then the marina takes it out for them. I think the performance boat damage is a small percentage done here anyway, most of the boats I have seen in Tim's pictures that were performance boats were for sale and blocked at marinas (no trailer) in fact I looked at one of them Sat night.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Hey Kurt, don't count those old Cigarettes out just yet. The tree came over softly & not a hammerstrike, because that would have blasted it in two. I'm a little pissed off at myself for not selling it, but I have difficulty in selling anything I own & like. It is a medical condition called dumb phuck. LOL! In time we will see what is what with the Firefox. On a more serious note, my fiberglass man....Frank, from Fiberglass Plus may have been wiped out by the hurricane. I hope not, he is a talented individual. And I really like him personally.
Ed
Ed sorry about your loss hope its not bad those old cigs are buildt like tanks, i would still like to own the nicest firefox around someday
hope all is well with you and your family and good luck and prayers to all on the east coast

Last edited by cig20; 11-02-2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
You should have called Sunkin, he could have told you exactly where to cut the tree so the hull would not be stressed.

Hope its ok.
He stopped by during the hurricane & guided the tree as it fell. LOL!
All is well, thanks for asking.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cig20
Ed sorry about your loss hope its not bad those old cigs are buildt like tanks, i would still like to own the nicest firefox around someday
hope all is well with you and your family and good luck and prayers to all on the east coast
thank you.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Registered

Wow, just checked in here after my post this morning, the thread blew up. In my response to the OP (post 2 or 3) I hope no one took it as I was throwing responsibility or blame at anyone, I was just stating that living in SFla I know what it is like to take the warnings too lightly, and you learn from each experience. Whether you hauled your boat or not, Sandy was going to take her toll unless you had a very well prepared plan laid out months ahead of time, as well as the ability to execute it. Im in a quote unquote hurricane proof rack building rated to 160 mph now, but when I had my smaller boat I had reserved a concrete pad 10 miles inland with metal tie downs sunk 2 feet deep in concrete (RV Park) so I could try and get it on the trailer and get it tied down with 10 or so lines. Whether i could have got it on the trailer from the marina would have been the challenge, as 3 days ahead of the last storm I had that boat for the marina was already taking calls, luckily the storm turned and I didnt have to worry about it. My heart goes all to everyone who had their boat damaged, but very thankful I haven't heard of anybody from the site losing their life in this tragedy, property can be replaced, family can't!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Registered

As I read this an live in louisiana. They said a week before that it was no treat to the US. Then it was. I'm not sure when it was changed but it cut out alot of time an moved in. Just saying. Artie
Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Used boat values are going to skyrocket after people get their checks for the ones written off.
In those pics that Tim has posted you can see thousands of boats that are now scrap.
well maybe not..........

In Florida after the double team hurricanes in 2004 many people got paid for storm damage. Screen enclosures were a big thing (covering the pool/patio) and people got 25-50K to replace them but the local screen companies were months or even years behind the workload. I know a company that had a 2 inch thick binder of pending jobs. Well people spent the "screen" money on other stuff and the guy's 2 inch binder turned to a few pages after 6-12 months. People decided to spend their insurance proceeds elsewhere.

In the NY/NJ case, winter is fast approaching and many have devasted homes and businesses (other places to spend boat proceeds). Some will figure the short season, the soon to be outrageous insurance costs (windstorm coverage will now carry a new meaning for many) and the lack of storage/dockage (many marinas are wrecked) has ended their desire to own a boat until Sandy becomes a faded memory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.