Running to the Bahama's INFO >

Running to the Bahama's INFO

Notices

Running to the Bahama's INFO

Old 11-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running to the Bahama's INFO

We want to make the run over to the bahama's and need some info. Like when is the best time of the year to run over, best place to go, what to take, and customs. We have done 100+ miles poker run and the boat does fine and burns about 1 gallon per mile, What do I need to know ???

Thanks
Joby
Old 11-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Insurance

Check to see what navigable waters u r covered for

Summer when it's flat

Winter it can get a "little" bumpy in the Gulf Stream
Old 11-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its your first time, run to Bimini or Cat Cay both are 45-50 miles from Miami.
Plan plan plan, weather will kick you if not, summer is the best time seas really lay down, but I crossed in spring. Check in is easy in Bimini, fill out a form, passport and pay for your size of boat and your in. Make sure you have all the flags you need, US, yellow and Bahamian. Again read study and plan, plan and replan on the weather

PM Bob the Builder he's the master boater
Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Another good spot is west end / Port lucaya.

Keep in mind it's generally easier to head north and kinda go with the gulf stream. The reason why the winter is worse on weather is because the wind blows from North to South so it fights the current of the gulf stream causing big seas. Wind is one of the factors that can really tell if you'll get beat or not. A south to north wind produces much smaller waves. A seemingly gentle north to south wind can cause a nightmare.

Have a contingency plan for port on the return if you are getting beat fighting the seas.

There are many books with local knowledge you should read at least one about the possible places you will go. Bimini for example has taken lots of boats... if you head straight for the channel between the islands there is a reef you hit... you have to run far south (to the right side) of the channel straight for the beach and make a 90 degree left turn to run along side the beach and into the channel. There are other places in the Bahamas where things that look like broom sticks serve as navigation markers.

Bring spare parts... belts, filters (fuel especially), props, etc.

be sure to have a backup GPS... handheld.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Dead middle of summer is the best time to go. That's when the jet stream is not a factor. You might consider going with Stu on one of the FL Powerboat Poker Runs.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Registered

I would run Your first run with FPC. It would be more fun with a group an they do it every year. They know how to do it. Jmo. Artie
Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 AM
VIP Member

WE went last year. left jupiter. Went to west end for Customs, then out to Green Turtle. Great time. Going again in April. Come tag along!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw this. I made another thread with similar topic.

Subscribing
Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BBB725
If its your first time, run to Bimini or Cat Cay both are 45-50 miles from Miami.
Plan plan plan, weather will kick you if not, summer is the best time seas really lay down, but I crossed in spring. Check in is easy in Bimini, fill out a form, passport and pay for your size of boat and your in. Make sure you have all the flags you need, US, yellow and Bahamian. Again read study and plan, plan and replan on the weather

PM Bob the Builder he's the master boater
Yes our first time, and looking at a spring or early summer. I wanna do my home work before we go.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by akaboatman
I would run Your first run with FPC. It would be more fun with a group an they do it every year. They know how to do it. Jmo. Artie
Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Dead middle of summer is the best time to go. That's when the jet stream is not a factor. You might consider going with Stu on one of the FL Powerboat Poker Runs.
We are looking at going with them for our first time but we don't have a fast boat 70 max and I do not want to have to keep it on the pins just to keep them in sight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.