Buying a used boat question? >

Buying a used boat question?

Notices

Buying a used boat question?

Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
Ask the same questions ten different ways, lots o pics, tell him to get detailed pics, . your i's and cross your t's hope for the best thats all you can do,
+1 hope for the best.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You answered your own question in your first post. One guys 10 can be another guys 1. You could be picky like me and point out chit the owner has never seen. In my biz I see it day in and day out. Today I quoted a guy $800 on a repair job on an new Lambo, said he couldn't afford it and would live with the damage Yet I have other clients that won't drive with a scratch in their Ferrari. Quality standards are different for everyone....
Old 11-14-2012, 01:22 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hold on... A guy had a brand new Lambo but couldn't afford $800?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoore1225
thats what I was thinking... wtf
Old 11-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Registered

The older the boat, the more "blemishes" one might expect and still receive a "good" condition by a seller.
Determine if this is a boat enthusist who is moving up or if it is someone getting out. Moving up will usually be a little better represented than getting out, inherited, etc.

I agree detailed pics, expect the condition to be worse than represented.
Any spots of concern as for more detailed pics. Upload a short running video to youtube. If you are really serious and they balk, express this concern and ask wouldnt they have the boat ready to go and run if you were to show up on their doorstep with money? Any balk, consider this another heavy discount off negotitated price.

I have bought two boats with at a distance conversations. I knew the exact model I was looking for so there was no problem with deciding it was not "right".
Based on pics, video and conversation, we came to a general price agreement with the understanding there may be additional concession if significant flaws are found.

Here is the big point, both boats we agreed to meet half way for a water test. This helps to make sure you dont go a distance to only find out the trailer is in such poor shape it cant safely move. Owner knows it better start and run good. Both parties have skin in the game and are motivated to complete the transaction.

One bought for the negotitated price; one $500 less. Cash on one, Bank loan check plus wiggle cash on the other.

Last edited by ChargeIt; 11-15-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered

I bought a boat sight unseen based on a couple pics and a conversation with the seller, i had the motors surveyed prior to the sale. I got a great deal on the price but the boat was a little worse than I expected, really just a lot of little stuff and a real good cleaning/waxing. In the end I am very happy with my purchase. I think it's all about being realistic on the price, if your getting a smoking deal the boat may not be perfect, if your payimg top dollar than you should expect perfection.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmoore1225
Yeah I don't get it either. Car broke-boat broke, if ya cant fix it ya can't afford it...
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

I agree with you guys, but also think that you can get almost anywhere in the country with a $300 plane ticket nowadays, so if you are that interested take the day or two and go set your own eyes on it. Its not like a car and you have hundreds of the same to chose from, most likely you have your search narrowed down to a couple if you are serious. From the sellers side of things, if the guy wont come see it, he is just tooting your horn.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I recently sold a '96 27' Donzi for my parents. We're not talking a ton of money here.

Some of the demands from long distance potential buyers were a pain in the arse. Lots of measurements, certain pic angles, I need a picture of the bimini top up, etc, etc. I was happy to do it at first. But there were a ton of tire kickers and it got really old running down to the marina, uncovering and jumping through hoops just to hear they weren't really interested.

The first person who saw the boat in person bought it.

I say if you're going to be extremely anal, find a friend, hire someone or make the trip to lay eyes on it.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I would ask straight out if there are any scratches or flaws however small they may be. Very few used boats are going to be truly "like new". Mine has a couple of scratches that you would never notice if you didn't know about them. Tell the seller that a few minor flaws isn't going to be a deal breaker but you need to know about them before you go further with the deal. Hopefully the seller will be straight about disclosing minor flaws.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.