Mercury Truck, Where is the love?

Notices

Mercury Truck, Where is the love?

Old 11-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Guess it is not
Like the old days, the Merc truck was always chock full and all the parts were sold to us at racers net. I remember one rough year the truck going to Miami to pick up parts between races on off days. One year they had a pile of broken Bridgeport parts that created a small mountain at their location in the pits.

Last edited by mikefili; 11-25-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marketing.....

Dave hit the nail on the head...

I was an exec (mktg) with the top electronics manufacturer globally. The definition of what I did was so diverse and spread out that I found a really simple way to explain it that was brutally honest, and for most....shocking.

First, let me say this....

If sales are up, marketing is killin it. If sales are down, it is the fault of the sales group. Period. So, marketing is a great place to be....because you are immune to scrutiny unless you create a plan that makes good business sense to no one on the planet, but have the power to launch...

Now to my point.....

"what do you do?"

I'm in marketing.

"So.....what do you do?"

I'm part of the group of guys, that create the lies, that inspire people to buy.

Too true. The problem with this, aside from it being true, is that no one thinks about retention.....

Once it becomes clear that the customer is not satisfied, there is an assortment of knee-jerk reactions that also do not consider long term relations.....just an immediate pacifier that is really no more than the customer settling for "something instead of nothing"

Retention is lost in a matter of minutes/hours after the conclusion of the negotiation on behalf of the weakest link in the chain.

Customer service.

Low wage, minimal training, and a gross amount of attrition. Folks in this tier of the money train get the least amount of incentive, and the natural performers are lost due to lack of compensation, or politics.

In a lot of cases, there is no intimate knowledge of, or attachment to the brand.....just canned-ham responses to a litany of potential inquiries.....and worse yet...when this is put into third world control because it saves money...

A few U.S. Based companies that offer on-site " experts" for media attended events and even local get-ons are Market Star, Market Source, Advantage, WNS and a bevy of others put "warm bodies" in place at events as the reporting end of the " voice of the consumer" back to the hiring brand. Unfortunately, they have no power....just a mouth and an ear....and both do little to gain or retain customers and brand loyalty.

I'm not defending Merc. Far from it. Unfortunately, they did not empower their representatives at the event to make a decision to aid in retention/loyalty.

I believe that the bigger you (as a brand) get, the further you are from your customer. Kinda ironic.....that you (brand/product) get further away from successfully retaining the very consumers that helped you grow by neglecting their needs due to your immediate need to streamline, be more efficient, and cut costs.....and this is something the bean counters never factor into the equation....

O.k......I'm done.....

Maybe.....
Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pickin the scab...

Come on now...this deserves attention....