Notices

Svl 2013

Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mike,

The only 3 current equipment owners that have posted on this thread are Randy(Typhoon), Kevin(TUG IT)and Mark(Absolutley Not). I do appreciate the fact that you do say my opinion/rants do matter as pretty much everyone in the class knows it is my intent to move into the classes currently known as SVL. Why would I have wasted the 2012 season as a crew chief for 2(1 SBI only, 1 OPA/SBI) teams directly in the class in order to compile as much homework and allow myself to get familiar with the class?(And for those in the cheap seats, I had/have a perfectly legal C4/C5 race boat with the funds to run it, chose to pursue the future instead of doing the same ole thing) Since the conclusion of KW I have been on the phone with Manufactures as well as several owners to be able to figure out the best option that fits my teams goals, my budget, as well as the direction my sponsors would like me to go in. In this economy, I dot every "i" as well as cross every"t" before I spend dime one, now we're talking 60-200 G's.

As with your history with Randy, I also have a 10 year history with him and have disagreed with him quite often, but like you I respect the hell out of him....as a throttleman. Inside the boat he is a magician and have always posted to that aspect. My issue currently with him is basically that those that live in glass houses shouldnt throw rocks.

I use this example from a prior thread which was the second thread he went on his "Scare tactic campaign" http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-40-000-a.html

My contribution is as follows:
Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
Mike,

The question is how competitive do you want to be? SVL's are great little boats, but being a former Class 4 guy, size does matter. ie 2010 OB, Randy had to break out 26 times to stay out in front of the Formula, while the Formula just stayed in the water w/o breaking out. It was 1-2 ft rollers. Spoke with Steve, hes coming back, Saris is putting the Cobra together and by the looks of the thread over in OPA section, I hope Howard comes back. If hanging out with the guys and having a weekend family getaway is what your after, then continue to pursue the SVL end of it(but if you find a deal, plse consider running in the SVL class, I speak from experience that it will be cheaper, maintenance wise than a bracket class will ever be) if you want to be competitive in Class 4, look at the competition and build a boat for the class, looks like the trend is former F2 boats with moderate reliable power is what has been winning the past couple of years or you can go with an older higher hp boat and take your chances.
Randy's response:
Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Mike, IMO only I feel you can get into SVL class in OPA for somewhere in the 60K with a very competitive used Phanton or Extreem boat. All the teams max out at the 92-93 MPH with a spec merc 525. It sounds like about 20 K north of what you wanted to spend but you can be in the hunt with reliability. You dont honestly believe you are going to get a top competitive class 4 OPA boat for 40K. For starters it will have to be twins and there goes the reliability and budget factor. Trent nailed when he said you will never hang in class 4 with a single and the money you will spend trying could have been spent on a SVL. If your not competitive in a $60K SVL in OPA its not the boat LOL. Or you can race in SBI and build yourself a 700 HP SVL and race the OL and Fountain for 3rd place. Be aware the motor program will set you back $40K a year. Then you have to buy a boat. (no disrespect facts only)
As I said"scare tactic campaign" and the hp and the pricing was false. Being that I was with one of 3 teams that ran under the current rules on both sides of the fence (AN, Octane, and WildRide and wow when WildRide took the lead from the current SBI national champ for a little bit, what a site to see), I implore you to read both sets of rules and with the extensive knowledge and common sense that I know you have, please tell me how my post on page 3 of this thread is wrong?

This thread was only started after I posted my homework about the new technology boats that are coming out,http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/o...-2-sale-2.html then he diverted to the motor stuff again with the FALSE information. I have full intentions of racing on both sides of the fence which obviously means if I have to have 2 motors, so be it, I know where 2 30 hr sealed motors are just waiting for me to crap or get off the pot. But straight up, I am scared, I spend x dollar and the new stuff comes in, than a)whats the devaluation of my boat b)I race to have the chance of winning, if theres no chance, I see it as a waste of money and time. If it doesnt make sense, I'll just go back to being a crew chief and having a ball helping teams get better and spend the money on buying houses to rent out instead.

If Randy wants to come on here and says how great racing is or the sky is blue, fine, you wont hear a peep out of me. But when FALSE information is posted, I will continue to call BS. I have offered Randy the opportunity to call me at any time if he chose to have an intelligent conversation and I extend that offer to anyone affiliated with and or has the intent to run on either side of the fence. I have no problems sharing the years worth of homework with anyone as SVL is a great class and will be unstoppable when OPA figures out a way to either enforce the rules or get rid of them and SBI starts implementing their parity rules.

Trent 321-508-3077
www.tntoffshore.com

Last edited by F1-00 Racing; 12-18-2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

The Class, or version that is going to grow, is the class people are taking about. New hulls, and choice of motors will do that. Justify it all you want but, that is the reality of racing.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,053 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatguy66
565's new hull now ya talking!
This was meant to be posted in the racer's section.
No offense its awesome to see people enthusiastic about the sport, but leave the rule making and discussion to the guys in the boats and in the class.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Thanks have you raced SVL also??
Nah too much drama for me lol
Old 12-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Then I guess I can keep posting Thanks Again!
Its a free Country knock yourself out
Old 12-19-2012, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want this correct use data logging. This is a well beat'n horse that know one can or will show love. (because financially it cost the sanctioning body heavily to run a large scrutineering team to cover all of the classes in a very short time) . OPA rates are really inexpensive and they do a really good job on what has to be a tiny budget. As far as the boats that dominated Will and Larry had an old tired motor and had raced the least of all of you in 2012 and they "dominated" also. Randy's boat usually runs very very close to ours. It appears he made some race weekend setup decisions I am sure he regrets.
Last year we agreed on the SBI conf. call to helps other teams get faster rather than slow the quick teams. I feel Gary and I lived up to our promise. 3 teams raced on our props at some time last year and all of the boats are much closer now. You will not win a SVL race with a marginal setup in your boat. Concerning the new boats. Create a class called SVL classic and let the old boats only race each other.
Steve
Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"""Create a class called SVL classic and let the old boats only race each other""".

That sucks. I can only go out and beat on the Fountain and OL then

Kidding aside, it's actually a good idea, if the two classes run together on the course.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

40-50K for a SVL hull. I wouldn't buy a Merc 565 for 71K unless a customer asked for it. I would still convince them otherwise unless they were hellbent on that package. I have several engine builders who can build that power and reliability package plus for less than half of that cost.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lauderdaleboats
"""Create a class called SVL classic and let the old boats only race each other""".

That sucks. I can only go out and beat on the Fountain and OL then

Kidding aside, it's actually a good idea, if the two classes run together on the course.
I can go either way but it is hard to build a class with the stake holders always running it down.
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.