Notices

late 70's Nova 250

Old 12-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default late 70's Nova 250

Hello all!

I am new to the Forum and this is my first post. I have been freshwater boating since i was a kid. I have found a late 70's Wellcraft Nova 250 w/ twin 350's that i am interested in purchasing. I don't know a whole lot about this type of boat as far as what problem areas to look for.

Any suggestions aside from the typical inspection items (Stringers, transom, engine leaks, etc.)?

The guy is asking $6k. Should i be even considering this?

I am pretty sure the boat has been freshwater its entire life, but i dont know how big of a deal that is.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am going to see the boat tomorrow and i would like to be somewhat prepared.

Thanks!
Tom
Old 12-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

great boats but make sure to check the transom and stringers thoroughly!!! Wellcraft used this fiberglass engine tub thats prown to rot and crack too so check that as well. Check the bellows and find out when the shift cables were last done. As the lower shift cables on the alpha setups get old they get sticky and it will cause stalling as you shift fwd/rvr around the docks.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

First off - Welcome to the forum!

I personally like the lines of the ol' Nova's especially if they have a good, beefy exhaust sound! They have some great classic lines. Do your due diligence. At a 6 grand purchase (which does not seem over inflated) you need to have a comfort level with the condition. If you have to replace a drive, stringer, transom, motor, etc... you will probably not ever get your investment back.

Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:18 AM
Registered

As the lower shift cables on the alpha setups get old they get sticky and it will cause stalling as you shift fwd/rvr around the docks.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

In older Wellcrafts, make sure to have a Surveyor look the boat over for you. We've seen lots of rotted floors, stringers and transoms in them. Hopefully you have a well cared for one there.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts

Great, classic boat. Listen to the advice above as most of us have done it the hard way and learned the hard way. A 25' Nova was an icon for rough water capabilities and sporting lines in a boat that size.

And, welcome aboard.
Gary
Old 12-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Registered

Wow! thank you guys very much for the info. I have a local marina that has said they would do a "pre-buy" inspection for me for about $500. Because we are already in winter up here in MN they would need to fire it up, check the outdrives, check the cables (like others have suggested) and leak check the engine/exhaust, then re-winterize it. So, i figure that seems reasonable.

Yeah i don't think i have ever gotten my money back on a boat, I just don't want to buy it for $6k then sink $4k into it before she even sees the water. Your comments are very helpful and i will let you know how it goes!

Thanks,
Tom
Old 12-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts
Default Again.........

Originally Posted by tomash109
I just don't want to buy it for $6k then sink $4k into it before she even sees the water.
welcome aboard and get ready to start adding zero's to your numbers
Old 12-18-2012, 01:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Nova Spyder is a little newer than yours but Ive got to say that they are great boats! Without a doubt the smoothest rough water boat I have ever ridden in. No doubt that you will enjoy it. $6k is a decent price for a twin engine boat that is running.

A few pics of mine:

Old 12-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
My Nova Spyder is a little newer than yours but Ive got to say that they are great boats! Without a doubt the smoothest rough water boat I have ever ridden in. No doubt that you will enjoy it. $6k is a decent price for a twin engine boat that is running.

A few pics of mine:

That is a sick boat!

Well i had her checked out, after some price checking and soul searching i bit the bullet. Was able to get a little bit better price and the "pre-buy" was worth every penny.

Now i just have to wait 5 months to drive it

Thanks to all who gave some feedback, i appreciate it!

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.