82.56%
Broke lower gear set
17.44%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Bravo XR drive breakage

Old 12-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Teague rebuilt my lower and I got a new Teague Platimun upper, no trouble yet but only have about 10 hours on them. I was told that teague has the gears cryo'd
Old 12-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
I think the bavo shop cryo's gears or use to...check with them

http://www.bravoshop.net/

I don't need it done at this point. It was more of a question if anyone has tried it.

Does no one make a billet set of gears?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by cp5899
How does the xr differ from the bravo 1? I am building a new 600hp motor for my 280 velocity that has a b1 and have heard of guys running 700 hp with stock b1 with out to many problems. Is it due to the 280 being a light boat? I'm still new to this, but was under the impression the xr drive was an upgrade to the b1.

In my industry we have transmission failers when using stock gears behind the high hp bike motors we build. Years ago we started cryoing gear seats and found that to extend the amount of power the gears would hold by about 10-15%. Still in need of stronger gear sets we started having complete billet gear and output shafts made up. The billet seems to be about 50-55% stronger than factory gears. Are there no options like this for boats? Or has it been tried and doesn't work.

For the bolts stretching problem. Why not have arp make up a set of bolts. I'm sure they can make a stronger option. I have an account with them if someone were interested in experimenting with having a bolt made.
The XR case has a steel tower insert to support everything along with all the gear upgrades.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 12-21-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cryo treating helps extend the life of the gear to gear contact surfaces, but due to the design of the gear, it will fail eventually if too much torque is applied.

Also I don't feel the top caps lifting up has anything to due with the studs themselves. They thread into an aluminum case and will stretch or pull out the threads. I had one pull out. I heli-coiled all 4 and no issues loosening so far after 100 hrs.

Last edited by Smitty; 12-21-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
Cryo treating helps extend the life of the gear to gear contact surfaces, but due to the design of the gear, it will fail eventually if too much torque is applied.

Also I don't feel the top caps lifting up has anything to due with the studs themselves. They thread into an aluminum case and will stretch or pull out the threads. I had one pull out. I heli-coiled all 4 and no issues loosening so far after 100 hrs.

When will your solution be available? Straight cut or spiral cut gears? Whats the target price?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to say something that will probably be torched..but nonetheless...I have always wondered why if you were going beyond 600hp wouldn't you convert to a VI...It seems like that is the next level since SSMIII are gone along with trs drives? I know the cost is prohibitive to a point..but once you've trashed 3-4 drives..wouldn't have been better to go with the VI when you put extra power to the boat...just curious why more people don't make the switch to the 6 drive from the start?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Registered

might be useful info if you guys stated the hp in front of the broken xr...i have only 10 hours in front of 600hp...so far,so good

Last edited by pqjack; 12-21-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Had the nut fall off the vertical shaft in the lower wrecking about everything in it.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
yes it does, the left hand drive pushes up on the top cap under power and, in my case, stretches the bolts allowing the tolerances to go out.
I run mine left handed because the boat lists to the port side with a righty. Sucks, but I have not had a problem yet.

Get those arnesons installed and you will have no worries!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:40 AM
VIP Member

Keith

I am hoping for a release date of 6-1-2013

Don't have pricing yet, but it will be more than stock XR gears. Unfortunately my small volume compared to Merc drives up the cost.

They will be direct replacements for XR gears.

Can't talk about anything else right now.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.