Notices

Duramax boat engines????

Old 01-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
with tuning? That's the smart azz answer and I can laugh at that

I read many diesel things on OSO in general and there seems to be, sometimes, an idea that you change the final torque numbers of an engine with same HP and rpm - that's what I would like to know "how that's done" because I can't figure it out?

The engine is the engine against the governor, only gearing can change the torque figure if measured at the output but it is still hp= T x RPM/5252?
I was not being a smartass, it is really simple. Stop thinking so hard, you can detune the programming in a diesel with a flip of a switch, or by plugging in your software to adjust.

Think of the stg 2 kit from Whipple for lets say a Merc 600, the retune the ECM right...With EFI, or with other tuning software you can make these adjustments at any time.

My triple turbo truck made around 800 & 1600 when it was set on kill. 90% of the time i ran conservative tuning and it would run about 500 & 1100...This was with very simple tuning, EFI you can pull fuel out any where. Or timimg, or injector pulse etc...

Last edited by JD Dearden; 01-14-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Registered

I gotcha so even though the torque is higher the rpm is lower which makes the equation work the same as a gas engine.

The only difference would be longevity of a diesel and better fuel economy or would there be a performance advantage with diesel and a gearbox?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Can probably make it get out of the hole faster, until you break a drive lol
Old 01-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
I was not being a smartass, it is really simple. Stop thinking so hard, you can detune the programming in a diesel with a flip of a switch, or by plugging in your software to adjust.

Think of the stg 2 kit from Whipple for lets say a Merc 600, the retune the ECM right...With EFI, or with other tuning software you can make these adjustments at any time.

My triple turbo truck made around 800 & 1600 when it was set on kill. 90% of the time i ran conservative tuning and it would run about 500 & 1100...This was with very simple tuning, EFI you can pull fuel out any where. Or timimg, or injector pulse etc...
Which triple truck was yours? I had the Denali clone twin turbo truck.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by lil red
Which triple truck was yours? I had the Denali clone twin turbo truck.
The 06 dually with the 22.5 built by Wide Open Performance. The truck was sort of ugly....

I just found out DieselPower mag is doing a issue in in Feb or the next month on there 3 favorite issues / trucks...I guess they picked mine as one of them, i saw the cover this weekend and it is on there.

Post a pic of yours. This pic is before the triples so it smoked a little...

Last edited by JD Dearden; 01-14-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by db72
Habana,

I found some old threads with you discussing this. What would it take to do this in a performance application? I assume the engines, probably arnesons, and some type of 2/3 speed gearbox.

Would this type of setup perform the same/better/worse as a 700/nxt package? The reason I ask is because my truck only has 365 hp but with the torque it seems like it has a lot more.
Your first question is very simple, drives don't matter, transmissions don't matter, non of it is relevant for a basic understanding of what it takes to go fast in a diesel boat - this is all you need to know - in the same gas boat, how fast does that boat go with what Hp engines, what size props and how fast are the props turning.

That is your baseline, you need to be able to turn the same prop at the same speed to get similar performance - to better performance you need to spin either larger props same speed or same props at a faster speed - nothing here any different than you would do with a gas boat.

How you achieve what I'm saying is where gears, drives, etc, etc all come into play but you need the basics first.

Your truck uses gearing. Think about it this way, your diesel at WOT is a good 1,000 rpms under the diesel rpms. When you are running your diesel truck down the road you are much closer to your max HP rpm range the engine has potential to make full HP easier because of this. The Gas engine is much further away from peak HP you would have to accelerate the engine more to feel the power start to get stronger.

The torque on the diesel is greater at lower rpms remember what I said above, the peak Hp is at a lower rpm so as the engine accelerates you have to cross peak torque at a lower rpm as well - all your peaks are achieved at lower rpm's so the engine will always "feel" peppier? make sense?

Will those engines perform like 700's/NXT's - NO

They weight more, they have bigger trannies, will need OD gearing to run on an NXT, will sit further up in the boat - add all that together for the same Hp and it can't run as fast top-end.

BUT, you can run those engines at 85% for hours where if you run the 700's at 600hp for hour after hour you'll be calling SeaTow!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JD Dearden

You miss the point and you know I like talking with you on here and respect you.

The point was much simplier than you are making it - people make statements how someone lowers the torque not moves it around. If you lower torque you have to change one of two parameters as well and those are either HP or rpm but the engine has to change you can not keep those 2 constant and have lower torque.

If you disagree please post dyno reports showing that and I'll eat my words.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rbesola
but cummins/merc offers a performance based 6.7l straight from merc.
Not any more...that relationship folded.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lil red
I built a 900hp duramax for my 2500, let's just say for a boat buy a Teague big blower motor, it will be cheaper! Pistons $3000, rods $3000, heads $5000, turbos $7500...... Etc etc adds up even faster than boat parts!
Thats something I plan on doing in the future, who did your build? I hope to have my full billet/suncoast allison soon
Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
You miss the point and you know I like talking with you on here and respect you.

The point was much simplier than you are making it - people make statements how someone lowers the torque not moves it around. If you lower torque you have to change one of two parameters as well and those are either HP or rpm but the engine has to change you can not keep those 2 constant and have lower torque.

If you disagree please post dyno reports showing that and I'll eat my words.
Yes in most cases HP will drop also. You can build a diesel to produce less torque, but that is a specific type of build.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.