Notices

Duramax boat engines????

Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by db72
I gotcha so even though the torque is higher the rpm is lower which makes the equation work the same as a gas engine.

The only difference would be longevity of a diesel and better fuel economy or would there be a performance advantage with diesel and a gearbox?
here's the big equalizer and I'll give you Buzzi's rational, because after all he is a sly old fox!

The diesel will run at a higher % of full load longer (not total hours but hours at WOT) and harder than a gas engine can. back when offshore racing was "ocean" racing and Open/Class 1races were 150-185 miles long. The gas boats would run easy when the race started, they were heavy with fuel and knew that 50%+ would break and not finish, it was a game of endurance. As the boats burned fuel they could run faster and harder (more % of throttle)

Then here come Buzzi (who was not the first diesel guy by any means but read the rules a little better), his plan was when the flag drops push the throttles all the way forward and get out front. The gas boats are faster but they will not run so fast as to break early on. Make the gas boats chase me so they stay within striking range to pass us. They will have to run faster & harder than planned and will most likely break before catching us. If they are burning too much fuel they will slow down and at the end be too far back to catch up anyway.

Watch the old races, you'll see I'm right!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
Yes in most cases HP will drop also. You can build a diesel to produce less torque, but that is a specific type of build.
Ok we'll have a draw

ps I love your truck but in a manly way
Old 01-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Ok we'll have a draw

ps I love your truck but in a manly way
My truck / turbo's were built for max torque. I am not a big fan of the high hp low torque build, i think high timing, high rpm, hopefully balanced...

Thanks i actually traded it in 3 years ago, after i parted it out.

Check this out...The setup is really bad for the track but still cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYAWC...cmMM5wDZlOZ2Ww

Fleece...Cummins with EFI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv8AxOU7IRg

Last edited by JD Dearden; 01-14-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokher Ace
Thats something I plan on doing in the future, who did your build? I hope to have my full billet/suncoast allison soon
I did it all. Motor, trans, turbo plumbing etc. only thing not done by me was the paint on the truck
Email me if you have questions about building one.
[email protected]
Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

PPE did a couple boats with the duramax and Imco, but it was not that big of a hit, really hard to get on plane at a low RPM with out running a trany, and that take to much room. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR3laaqKAjQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ugzTL2y1U
Old 01-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the Tommy Bahama boat did not work out it is at pier 57 without power. That pretty much answers my questions. Someone has to know the story would be interesting.