Key west poker run questions >

Key west poker run questions

Notices

Key west poker run questions

Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

OldSchool, Ill look into NuShield. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by redbud35
That would have been easier then buying a new boat just to get a Garmin 5212.
What fun would that be???

Originally Posted by Got Cigs
OldSchool, Ill look into NuShield. Thanks for the info.
www.nushield.com

On the homepage, there is a "quick order" section. Select Garmin and then your model number.....and presto!!!

Cheers, Craig
Old 02-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get a new GPS, your's is pretty out of date, you'll be glad you did, especially if something happens. The new ones aren't just easier to read but give a bunch of information that the olds ones don't offer, info on marinas, navigational aids and so on. And know where you're going before you go. The first time we went down in 2005 my GPS blew up the night before. I thought I'd just follow someone down but when we hit the last cause way it was a free for all, boats took off in all different directions. We ended up following rooster tails all the way down, wasn't fun, and god help you if you miss a marker in a shallow area. So get a newer GPS and some charts just in case and you'll be fine. And learn how to read the charts if you don't already know. Now a days there are a lot of center consoles and slower boats than there was back then, you should be able to find someone that's been there and cruise with them at your cruise speed.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
You will be close to last to the lunch stop but then after the raft up you will be the first to leave and people didn't trample over your boat/deck for 2 hours.
Probably the most disturbing thing I saw at Gilberts.... Beautiful high performance boats with shoe prints and shoe gravel scratches on them, some of them less than a year old
Old 02-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Here is the only issue on a "one way" or destination Poker Run:

If you break down, you really need your own contingency plan; as in:
-Know where to go in case you have a break down.
-How to get your trailer to you or store the boat until you can get the trailer.
-How to get to the destination once you have the boat squared away.
-If you have women with you, you might want to send them on ahead to the destination (hotel/party/whatever).

For example, crb76, Cash Bar, Dreamer, and I broke an XR outside of Marathon a few years back. (Freak thing: hit a crab trap in which the cable went between the drive and prop, took out the anode, which tore out the drain plug; draining the drive at speed = not good on cone clutch.)
We limped into Marathon, rented a car at the airport, and drove back up to Gilbert's where we met someone who brought the truck and trailer there. He took the rental back up north, and we took the truck and trailer to pick up the boat and head down to Key West. That was a long night.

Stu and the FPC do a great job at providing you with some info on these logistics; as do most Poker Run organizers. However, realize that the majority of the boats and participants need to get to the destination.

Bring at least one full SWP and a couple impellers with you; and don't forget hydration. If you have a long idle in, your Poker Run is over, and there is nothing wrong with cracking a cold one (within reason/captain sober rules, etc.)

The smallest thing I've seen on the run in recent years is a 25AT (single HP500) and that crew hung out at the back of the 2nd back and had the time of their life.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

This trip will be an experience you'll never forget. If possible spend an extra few days or week after the races and just explore your way back up through the keys.

As far as the 182c goes it will have all info on marinas, fuel, etc. Make sure you locate the most current data chip available for S.E. Florida. As far as the screen, I removed that worthless anti-glare with windex and paper towel. Much nicer now without it.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

The smallest thing I've seen on the run in recent years is a 25AT (single HP500) and that crew hung out at the back of the 2nd back and had the time of their life.
They must have changed the rules, in the past i was told 27' was minimum..
Nice they are including smaller boats!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Any GPS companies that let you know where the crab traps are??
Hope i dont sound like an idiot, but have never looked a chart before, but im sure I could learn to read one... im assuming these are available online?? Rather start preparing now rather then later. Like i said in my first post, my main concern is the navigation. Once again I appreciate all the info.

Curt
Old 02-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree - get it figured out sooner rather then later. I pulled LV's Skater down last minute and we didn't have a clue how to read the channel markers and couldn't see his GPS because of the glare. There are some tricky turns and if we weren't taking it easy following a CC we would have been screwed. We caught up with a big group at Gilberts and the rest was smooth sailing. Other then dodging the crab pots........
It was a fun trip and hope to drag my AT down this November.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

Its easy to know where the crab pots are...they are right where you need to drive!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.