Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
got call from agent/buyer from malaysia?? >

got call from agent/buyer from malaysia??

Notices

got call from agent/buyer from malaysia??

Old 02-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, this is a coin toss that will be decided when he wires you the funds.
I've moved many dumptrucks, trailers, excavators, and work trucks to foreign buyers in Mexico and Central America 'cuase they'll pay a little more than local buyers who try to beat you to the ground on your sale price.
I always use the directive that the member who posted about the temporary account used.
I open the account, recieve the money, then move it into my business account, usually within 48 hours, because if it didn't make it by the 4pm I'm not credited until the day after tomorrow.
Here are my terms.
I hold the unit, with no down payment based on the buyers approval from his agent, at my shop until funded.
It's available for pickup 72 hours (3days) after I recieve the transfer into my account.
If you wish I'll draw up a contract.
There is no negotiating the payment terms.Cash in hand or wire transfer, I won't even take business checks anymore either, but I will take a Certified Check on a USA bank, and they get the same 3 day waiting period before picking up the unit.
I've smelled out the rats when they start trying to change terms.
It's a take it, on my terms, or leave it proposition for the buyer.
When it's cash there's usually 2 or 3 of us at the shop at the time and we're all packing, after counting I sign the title and they're free to take it off the property

Good luck with your sale.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 02-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
At the risk of offending a qualified buyer I wouldn't let the paranoid guys on here bother you.

Reduce the account to the minimum balance (could be as low as $5 with a CU) Set up the transfer and see what happens.

If it turns out to be a scam close the account and open a new one with a new account number, let the CU know that account number is now in the hands of someone that attempted to fraud.

Having ones account number and address is not that big of deal today, it is on EVERY check that you write, not very secure information.
I wasn't being paranoid. Just extremely careful in the advice I provided.

4bus, you realize that I could empty your bank account overnight with your routing and account numbers, right? If I was a thief, I could process an ACH debit with that very info and you'd never know it until the next day. These scammers have set up legitimate appearing businesses that process ACH transactions.

I wouldn't give my account number to anyone. It's simple to set up a temp account at any bank for the receiving of funds in a deal like this.

Either way, good luck on the sale. It appears to be real from what you've said.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

well?????