Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
got call from agent/buyer from malaysia?? >

got call from agent/buyer from malaysia??

Notices

got call from agent/buyer from malaysia??

Old 02-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Default got call from agent/buyer from malaysia??

Received and corresponded several times with pics and info etc.

Guy claiming to be agent for buyer in Malaysia. Agreed to price and supposed to send check next week and once check clears, set up pickup??

Anyone heard of scam like this?? Talked on phone and all he needed was name and address to send check..
Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, When you get the check and it has the wrong over payment amount, which was his secretary's falt which, he's sorry for and is no problem you can cash it and just send the difference back......99.9% sure its a scam.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Registered

What will you do with a check from Malaysia.
The bank can tell you if a check is bad but not if it is good it could take a long time to cash.
I think it is time for a beer and Forgetaboutit.
SCAM
What are you selling ?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

25 ol. He said it would be drawn on a us bank? Yes, a bit weird..
Old 02-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Registered

Have the money wired to a new account you open at your bank....
Old 02-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nailit
Received and corresponded several times with pics and info etc.

Guy claiming to be agent for buyer in Malaysia. Agreed to price and supposed to send check next week and once check clears, set up pickup??

Anyone heard of scam like this?? Talked on phone and all he needed was name and address to send check..
It may well be a legit purchase ... if somewhat irregular.

Ask the agent to prepare a proforma invoice stating the T&C of the sale. The proforma will state the documentation you will have to provide, and how the physical transfer will be handled.

Your banker will know how to verify and claim funds, regardless on the originating bank.

Don't deposit it in your account: 'Present for Payment' which is a term of art, meaning from that point it is bank-to-bank.

Expect your bank to charge you a few bucks.

PM me if you need to. The process works, but can be weird.

Bob
Old 02-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Registered

Nice Boat.
Google the guys name and number.
I have sold things over seas and it was cash only the pick up guy pays when he looks the item over.
Get a pen and pack the Colt.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I can see somebody buying an mti/outerlimits/nortech etc.... but buying and shipping a 14 year old 25' baja with a 300+ hour 454 to malaysia??? really??? Think about it....... Im NOT dissing your boat. Im just saying think about it...buying it and having it sent half way around the world??
Old 02-09-2013, 12:33 AM
Registered

I had a guy send me a check I opened the envelope and it looked like the shadyest check I ever seen. The envelope had no return address on it, nothing inside explaining the check and why it's here....the check itself was a fraud that was made up from stolen bank info from a larger company. The sender contacted me through email, he asked if he can send his shipper....I laughed at him in a reply email and never heard from him again. I know if I sent someone payment for something I just wouldn't stop contacting them about the transaction!!

The #1 thing to raise a red flag is when they refuse to communicate via the phone, after payment is sent. People work to hard to loose money likes it grows on a tree!! I heard every excuse in the universe....deaf, shot a gun next to my ears and can't hear, on a boat somewhere, on a top secret mission and restricted to phone use, buying for a father or son as a gift, etc etc.. If people put the same amount of energy into good things they would be overly successful most of the times!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:34 AM
Registered

Received 4,327 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Dude common,its a scam.. 100%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.