Notices

Honda gen question

Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda gen question

I see a lot of guys running these guys...http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...models/eu2000i

They are amazingly quiet and a great choice, but my question is how do you rig them? Are you routing the exhaust outside or just relying on blower fans? or???
Old 02-25-2013, 06:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tnc110
I see a lot of guys running these guys...http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...models/eu2000i

They are amazingly quiet and a great choice, but my question is how do you rig them? Are you routing the exhaust outside or just relying on blower fans? or???
I haven't had to use mine but I will sit it in front of the windshield on the bow.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Strap it to your swim platform and run your power cable to it.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:46 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I ran a number of nights with it strapped to the swim platform with the bow anchored so the wind would help carry exhaust away....a local guy had his plumbed to run IN the engine compartment with hi-temp hose for exhaust and a fuel line T off the main supply line to the engines. He'd leave the hatch cracked and blower fan running all night when it was running......I don't think I would have run it like that but it actually looked OK the way it was setup.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Registered

No matter how you run it make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector on board.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Registered

This good advice. We were in georga for a barell race in 2006 when a lady died from carbon monoxide poisoning. The generator exhaust leaked into her trailer while she was sleeping
Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formulabill
Strap it to your swim platform and run your power cable to it.
X2

I use a bungee.

I run a batt charger and it keeps all this running

Nav scree/ Video at night/ Radar watchman mode (big lakes)
9" Screen in cabin
9" Screen in midcabin
20 LED lights
Stereo
12V chargers (phones laptops/ wifi)
+ I run a 12V low power AC unit in the cabin at night to sleep and even though its "low" power it will flatten a Pc 2150 in 3 hours.

Ive never had any issues, but I have a detector.

Uncle Dave
Old 02-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
X2

I use a bungee.

I run a batt charger and it keeps all this running

Nav scree/ Video at night/ Radar watchman mode (big lakes)
9" Screen in cabin
9" Screen in midcabin
20 LED lights
Stereo
12V chargers (phones laptops/ wifi)
+ I run a 12V low power AC unit in the cabin at night to sleep and even though its "low" power it will flatten a Pc 2150 in 3 hours.

Ive never had any issues, but I have a detector.

Uncle Dave
So you don't use the built in inverter for anything but a battery charger, and let the boats inverter do the work? Do you use the 1000 watt or the 2000 watt? what size charger?

Too bad these don't have an electric start option.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by professor_speed
So you don't use the built in inverter for anything but a battery charger, and let the boats inverter do the work? Do you use the 1000 watt or the 2000 watt? what size charger?

Too bad these don't have an electric start option.

My boat does not have an "inverter."

Its a straight up 12V system connecting to pc2150's and a perko switch.
All the stuff onboard is 12V (Ill plug an inverter from 12 to 120 for laptop AC inside the cabin. )

My motorhome has an inverter the inverts 12V to 110 using the 4 house batteries. I use the 2K to run a charger to the house bank to control the load on long camping trips. This way I can idle the genny the whole time.

The honda generator is an "inverter" which means it can vary the RPM to suits the load placed upon up to 2000 W for 20 minutes then 1600 sustained.

Battery charger, I have half a dozen of them the little schumacher is great , and I have couple other brands I like but their name escapes me. Ill go look. Typically 20 AMPs is the highest Ill go.

I use the 2K - great little machine. The 1K is just a bit weak for my needs. Ive got 2 of them a camo unit and a "companion"
Got a zillion hours on the camo unit & has run literally weeks flat out powering the wife units dog grooming van while the big onan was out for service.

Yeah electric would be nice, but they are easy to start and the cord lasts about 5 years of light use and three of heavy before you have to replace them - which is a bitc#.

If I had to buy all over again today - I'd buy the yamaha.

Ive done a couple of timing belts now on the camo unit and the Yamaha uses a chain- nicer IMHO

I also like the ability to drain the float bowl with a fuel shut off - a very nice feature for a seldom used genny, you will be fighting bad gas forever if you let them sit without draining the float bowls.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 02-26-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:34 AM
Registered

X-2 on the carbon monoxide sensor!! We almost lost two boys at a rodeo one year and they had the generator in back about 10 feet from the trailer but the breeze was just right and sent the exhaust into the trailer and they had to be carried out almost comatose, both were revived and rodeoed that day but it was scary as you don't know it is happening and just go into a deep sleep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.