Notices

Honda gen question

Old 02-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you want to use the gen for?
I get the idea you are wanting to install it in the engine compartment?
It would need to be attached tightly and exhausted outside. I dont think running the blower would be adequate, allowing heat and exhaust to build up.

This is one how to link for an exhaust tube - http://macgregorsailors.com/modt/index.php?view=653

On the water, I usually use mine to charge strero batteries with a 90 amp Iota power supply.
It simply sits on the floor behind my drivers seat, I raise the bow hatch to create as much air circulation. Exhaust is not a huge problem, especially using the variable economy setting. We do not let people hang out on the boat while gen is running and frankly the stereo is too loud to be on the boat

I have found using fresh 91 no alcohol fuel with a fuel cleaner/stabilizer additive (Conklin fuel mate) the gen does not have as much exhaust smell as pump 87.

Setting it on the bow of small boats like ours, the gen vibrates significantly and is my last resort. On the bow of larger boats, like our friend's 33 OL, the fiberglass is heavier with less vibration.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have Insurance? If so, do yourself a favor and give them a call and talk about installing a Non-Coast Guard Certified Gen. mounted in your bilge, see what they say. If they give you the green light, get it in writing and go for it.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88Fount33
Do you have Insurance? If so, do yourself a favor and give them a call and talk about installing a Non-Coast Guard Certified Gen. mounted in your bilge, see what they say.
Anywhere but on your swim step is stupid....and you still should have a sensor in the cabin anyway!

That link two posts up is the most ridiculous thing I have read!!!

++++++++++++++++++++++

Exhaust Extension: A 3-foot long wire reinforced heavy-duty 1" ID marine fuel hose routes exhaust overboard thru a port in a transom insert. Other exhaust hose choices can be made. The Honda exhaust discharge is about 5/8"I.D. The sudden enlargement to 1" hose, nearly tripling the OEM exhaust area, reduces velocity, pressure, and temperature. The hose length is such that the outlet is 6" or less below the stern water surface (minimizing back-pressure on valves). The submersed discharge makes some serious bubbles, and is audible - a babbling brook. To fasten the hose to the generator, a steel 3/4" NPT pipe-coupling fitting was welded to the generator exhaust outlet. The exterior end is roughly flush with the edge of the generator housing. A common 3/4" steel street ell is permanently screwed into the welded coupling. This is the shortest off-shelf 90-deg angle combo we found. The 1" hose is slipped over a 3/4" close-nipple and clamped with a SS hose clamp. The three fittings may be painted with high-temp paint to reduce rusting.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

remember seeing one mounted in the bilge with the exhaust piped in stainless out the hull... it was a neat rig job but prolly not coast guard approved...could not find it doing a search but it's on this site somewhere I believe.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

found it!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ngine-bay.html

i even commented

Last edited by LAriverratt; 02-27-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly the only problem I see with it is handling the exhaust, and not venting the fuel system in an enclosed area.
If it were rigged like this http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ngine-bay.html and you changed the cap to an external vent set up it should be fine. Run your blower like you should be doing anytime the boat is running while stationary. The exhaust is not hot enough to need to be water cooled. a blower would take care of engine heat.
As far as the electronics they would be no more dangerous that allot other stuff that gets rigged in the engine bay. Use a little common sense and follow the precautions you would use when you run any other engine. It is, after just an engine running an alternator.
So address the exhaust, address the vented cap, put a carbon monitor on your boat, and run your blower.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by professor_speed
Honestly the only problem I see with it is handling the exhaust, and not venting the fuel system in an enclosed area.
If it were rigged like this http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ngine-bay.html and you changed the cap to an external vent set up it should be fine. Run your blower like you should be doing anytime the boat is running while stationary. The exhaust is not hot enough to need to be water cooled. a blower would take care of engine heat.
As far as the electronics they would be no more dangerous that allot other stuff that gets rigged in the engine bay. Use a little common sense and follow the precautions you would use when you run any other engine. It is, after just an engine running an alternator.
So address the exhaust, address the vented cap, put a carbon monitor on your boat, and run your blower.
Great!!! He can print this out and send it to his insurance company. LOL
Old 02-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
Great!!! He can print this out and send it to his insurance company. LOL
Yeah I hear you, but the Same guy takes a boat rigged with 330hp merc and puts a blower on a 540 at 900+up and everybody just says that's bad ass and the fun police never show up
Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by professor_speed
Yeah I hear you, but the Same guy takes a boat rigged with 330hp merc and puts a blower on a 540 at 900+up and everybody just says that's bad ass and the fun police never show up
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm......................Professor, I'm not picking up what you're laying down. WTF does that have to do with the subject?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

The Honda 2000eu generators are the way to go! I see so many people converting from 3+++ batteries to 2 batteries and a generator set up.

Many people remove the feet and wither make a tray for them (possibly buy one) or strap them down. From there we designed a water jacketed exhaust dump that hooks into a header distribution line or something like it, so you can run the generator while moving and not have to worry about your gel coat.

Many people do them differently but we weld a -10 steel bung to the exhaust tip and use a SS hardline (have it U up so water doesn't revert) that connects to the dump (we install the dump under the water line). Cool thing is that you can remove the generator and leave the exhaust tube in the boat, if needed.

If anyone has any questions feel free to give us a call! -Eric

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE
www.teaguecustommarine.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.