Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
29 fountain vs 28 donzi zx >

29 fountain vs 28 donzi zx

Notices

29 fountain vs 28 donzi zx

Old 03-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought both of those examples were a lot of boat for the money. The fountain is older but would ride great and could probably be baffled down. Just going along with what someone else said that you may find the jump from 25 to 28 feet being hardly noticeable. You may end up shopping again in 2 years because the boat still feels small. I am in the process of shopping for a boat after I sell my 27 fountain. The smallest I am willing to go is a true 31.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I can't imagine having anything less then 32 ft ever again
Old 03-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T-RAV
I like both the formula 292 and the sunny 32 but they are made out of gold and are out of my price range of under 47k. If they are in my range they tend to be junk... I have been looking since last august and have been cross country on this search. I have looked at all the options... Like I said it is between these two since they are the cleanest I have found and both the wife and I agree on them...
47k is a good place to be. Deals do pop up here and there. There was a real nice Dominator that sold recently right around that price. If you don't snag something soon I will see what pops up around here as we get closer to spring.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by T-RAV
I like both the formula 292 and the sunny 32 but they are made out of gold and are out of my price range of under 47k. If they are in my range they tend to be junk... I have been looking since last august and have been cross country on this search. I have looked at all the options... Like I said it is between these two since they are the cleanest I have found and both the wife and I agree on them...
Don't let the listings fool you, I look at the classifieds every day (it's kind of a problem) and all these boats that are priced so high have been sitting. The Dominators and Formulas that are selling are definitely in your price range.

When I bought my Dominator I thought I made a super low ball and it turned out to be pretty realistic. You should be able to land a mid-2000s small block Dominator at your budget if you start making offers.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a clean 292 could be had for 47, mine was as clean as they come and I gave under 47 for it. surveyor wrote above average in his report.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Registered

I am not knocking Fountain by any means because I own one. With two big blocks in the back of the 29 there is not much room for maintenece. Just look at pictures and you will see what I mean. If I was going with twins I would at least step up to the 32. Just make sure the transom is solid. I know there were a few years they had a few balance issues with the rub rail sitting below or at the water line and if not maintained properly water could work it's way in. Typically to fix the problem people replaced the rub rail and replaced the cast iron manifolds with something lighter to raise the ass end up a bit. There were some 32's to have the small blocks that fixed the problem but I ran into a guy that had one and he says he wished every day he held out for big blocks.

Never ridden in a ZX only crawled around on a few. I loved the layout. I hope the ones I have looked at were not indicative of all 28 ZX's. I think they were just some bad apples with bad owners. Donzi makes a great boat and if you find either in good shape I don't think you could go wrong. But again if you are going twins on the Fountain take a hard look at the 32 instead of the 29. I would have loved to have a single 29 but everyone that owns one knows what they have and wants top dollar. Every one I tried to deal with would not budge on price.

Just my .02 and good luck looking. There are some great deals to be had right now.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

At least your looking at nice brands.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by looseconnection
Looked at three donzis all had spider cracking
its pretty common in the whole ZX line. I have several on the one i have and have had many many ZX's through my shop for stress cracks. I still think there are extremely well built and very solid but for some reason they had gel issues.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Travis,
Mine should be back toegther by 1 Apr. I am getting my engines back from the engine shop Monday. I can take you out for a ride in mine and let you run it on Conroe once it is running if you do not buy another boat by then.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by full force
i can't imagine having anything less then 32 ft ever again
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.