Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Emergency Escape Plans on boats with small children >

Emergency Escape Plans on boats with small children

Notices

Emergency Escape Plans on boats with small children

Old 07-22-2002, 10:34 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Emergency Escape Plans on boats with small children

I was wondering how many of you who bring small children out on the boat with you have any kind of an emergency escape plan if the unthinkable should happen? My wife and I discussed this the other day, since we recently became first-time parents and are planning to spend a lot of time on the water with our new daughter in the coming months. We decided that it would be a good idea to have a specific emergency plan in place if we need to "abandon ship" for some reason. While we were thinking about it, some specific questions came to mind:

If you have a small infant on board while under way, would the child be better off strapped into a car seat with the seat strapped down somewhere on the boat? Doing this seems to make sense at first, but what if someone hits us and the boat is going down in a hurry? Would we have time to unbuckle the child from a seat?

Would the cabin be the best place for this, or would we be better off making some provisions to anchor the car seat to the back seat somehow, or on the floor in front of the back seat?

If we have to abandon ship and hit the water, once again is the child better off in the car seat (assuming some provisions could be made to make it float - floating cushion, pool noodle?), or being held by an adult who is wearing a PFD?

Has anyone heard of a coast guard-approved PFD that works with infants?

I don't want to sound over-protective, but my philosophy has always been to be proactive rather than reactive - always plan for the worst. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:41 AM
Gumbydammit

Budman,
We tried everything. The only thing that worked was to have an adult hang on to the kiddo while underway.

There are a bunch of life vests for the little ones. I looked for you, but the place we got them is now out of business. I did a search and found nothing....but the name of the life jacket we got was called "kiddie care" and it held the head out of the water even in the chop.

A kids tube for playing and a pair of tightly stretched nylons made a great shock-absorbing bed for the deck. If you had to bail this, combined with the life jacket, would keep the little one right out of the water.

I dont think you are even close to over protective. You sound like you are prepared to me.

Old 07-22-2002, 11:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I have my kids (2 and 5) on the boat all the time. They have been boating since they were about 6 months old. My wife sits in
the back and holds the baby on her lap with his PFD on. I don't think strapping them in is good. I don't think a kid will fit too comfortably in a car seat while wearing a pfd anyway. In the event the boat went down or they were ejected, hopefully the pfd will work.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:15 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Default PFD's for infants?

That made me think of another question: Kentucky recently passed a law requiring all children under the age of 13 to wear a PFD while underway. How does this law apply to children under the age of 12 months? Seems like someone would have to offer a PFD that fits infants under 20 lbs., especially if they are now going to enforce a law applying to this.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one made by Stearns that will fit an infant. I would say anything over 10 pounds would be well fit in it. If you can't find one, e-mail me and I'll send it to you-it's a little dirty but has been kept cool and dry for about 6 years
Old 07-22-2002, 09:39 PM
Registered

bud man we found one at wallmart for infant like gumby has might check it out we got to buy one for our baby i thank nc law is the same as kentucky now
Old 07-22-2002, 09:52 PM
checkmate981

First off,
You are not being over protective.I would not suggest the car seat thing.My wife always held our son and still does.(3 years old)We used a stearns infant pfd.
Dave

Old 07-22-2002, 09:54 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son was 10 before I had a boat , so no problem (well almost)
But if we're talking real little , I'd also be concerned with getting bounced around. Heaven forbid your inadvertantly struck with shaken baby syndrome from a shock from an unseen wake. I know every once in a while I'll take an unsuspected shot. I think I'd call Grandma and Grandpa for the rest of this summer. The youngest I've on board had was my three year old niece and I was pretty comforably with her.(with the appropriate pfd) Good luck and safe boating
Old 07-23-2002, 02:14 PM
OutlawBayB

Budman,
You are not being overprotective at all. We've been boating w/ both our little ones since a obout 6 months each. IMHO, I wouldn't bother taking them out until 6-9 months. They say infants shouldn't be exposed to sun for extreme periods or sunburned till the age of 2, so keep that in mind.

Sunblock 50+ definately to start with, 30 mins prior to getting on the boat. Stearns infant PFD, with the headrest flap on back. Academy or Walmart/Boat US. This will keep their head up out of the water. NO, on the car seat STRAP.

Altho, we did place our child in the car seat while under way, with no straps attached, but with an adult lifejacket under it, strapped (in case) and the infant was always wearing the PFD while sitting in it. We put the car seat on the floor and used our legs/feet to hold it in place. Pretty snug fit otherwise.

IMHO, I felt it was harder to hold my children while under way. Grasp, motion etc....too risky. Plus, the vibration from the boat to their seat made them fall asleep while under way.....my .02

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2002, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom,
The car seat should have flotation attached. Ideally located such that it self-righting. Do not strap the seat down. If you choose to strap the seat down use a break away type strap, Velcro would be dandy for preventing the odd wake from jostling the car seat yet allow you to yank it out in a hurry. With your cabin configuration a car seat placed on the floor is the best bet.

I would worry less about the baby PFD, too hot and uncomfortable. In the event of an emergency you will not be far in either case. Make sure YOUR PFD’s are readily accessible. With a proper PFD an adult can easily handle an infant. KY law states all under 12 must wear a PFD while UNDERWAY unless in an enclosed space (read cuddy). Whatever you decide to do, remember practice makes perfect. Do a drill with milk jugs as the float test dummy. You may be thinking this too much. Baby does not go on board until you are both present. Go up river and park somewhere comfy.
Tim T.

Quick Reply: Emergency Escape Plans on boats with small children

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.