725 Ilmor/Arneson vs 700NXT >

725 Ilmor/Arneson vs 700NXT

Notices

725 Ilmor/Arneson vs 700NXT

Old 03-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 725 Ilmor/Arneson vs 700NXT

Sorry all, if this is a stupid question and thread, or it has be answered or beaten to death elsewhere. If so, please refer me to that thread or article.

How much of a price difference is there between the Merc 700NXT package and the 725 Ilmor/Arneson 8-6 package in the new Chief 42 race boat? If I was spending the money I'd be really tempted by the increased speed and reliability. Is the biggest detraction to Arnesons the challenge with docking and the unfriendly props out past the swim platform?

If I was buying a new 35+ foot boat, maybe get one with a big swim platform and learn to dock a boat? What am I missing?
Old 03-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a great article a couple years ago in powerboat,mbut the motors are within a couple grand, the asd7 is more comparable to the nxt than the asd 8-6, the 700 nxt is about same price as 725 asd7, the asd 8-6 would be much more $.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakeerieskater
There was a great article a couple years ago in powerboat,mbut the motors are within a couple grand, the asd7 is more comparable to the nxt than the asd 8-6, the 700 nxt is about same price as 725 asd7, the asd 8-6 would be much more $.
Hello

Last edited by the deep; 03-18-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darr?
Old 03-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by altamate
Sorry all, if this is a stupid question and thread, or it has be answered or beaten to death elsewhere. If so, please refer me to that thread or article.

How much of a price difference is there between the Merc 700NXT package and the 725 Ilmor/Arneson 8-6 package in the new Chief 42 race boat? If I was spending the money I'd be really tempted by the increased speed and reliability. Is the biggest detraction to Arnesons the challenge with docking and the unfriendly props out past the swim platform?

If I was buying a new 35+ foot boat, maybe get one with a big swim platform and learn to dock a boat? What am I missing?
Sorry but I honestly do not know the package price (OEM) of either option. I believe, don't hold me to it, that the 700 NXT, not he 700/#6 package cost the OEM around 60K a side.

As for the detraction, those are nothing more than b.s. and that's exactly what Bobby Saccenti was saying as everyone was telling him the same wives' tale before he ran the boat. He was told the boat would not dock, the boat would not be able to get on plane, the boat would not track, the boat would not steer.

Bobby called me up and said he was told all this b.s. and he was getting nervous as all these "EXPERTS" were telling him "how it was going to be" and after he ran the boat himself he came to the conclusion that none of them knew what he **** they were talking about. To quote Bobby, "what the **** do all these know it all's know anyways. The boat in on plane in virtually it's own length, it tracks straight and it steer's like its on rails and the speed speaks for itself".

Swim platform, honestly the standard version of the ASD8-6 drive is the same length as a #6. This boat has the longer thrust tube option but it's not a mile longer. We do have the option of a propeller guard.

As for performance, the boat you referenced is over 10 mph faster than same boat with the Merc 700/NXT package so results do mean something.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

The 725 Ilmor can also be paired with the Ilmor Indy drive. Nice drive and seems to run about the same speed as a Merc 700/NXT. Looks like the Arneson outperforms in all categories.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by redbud35
Darr?
Ummmmm......yeah.

1. Screen name with Skater in it
2. Instant expertise in one post
3. Soon to say "banned"
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rik
Sorry but I honestly do not know the package price (OEM) of either option. I believe, don't hold me to it, that the 700 NXT, not he 700/#6 package cost the OEM around 60K a side.

As for the detraction, those are nothing more than b.s. and that's exactly what Bobby Saccenti was saying as everyone was telling him the same wives' tale before he ran the boat. He was told the boat would not dock, the boat would not be able to get on plane, the boat would not track, the boat would not steer.

Bobby called me up and said he was told all this b.s. and he was getting nervous as all these "EXPERTS" were telling him "how it was going to be" and after he ran the boat himself he came to the conclusion that none of them knew what he **** they were talking about. To quote Bobby, "what the **** do all these know it all's know anyways. The boat in on plane in virtually it's own length, it tracks straight and it steer's like its on rails and the speed speaks for itself".

Swim platform, honestly the standard version of the ASD8-6 drive is the same length as a #6. This boat has the longer thrust tube option but it's not a mile longer. We do have the option of a propeller guard.

As for performance, the boat you referenced is over 10 mph faster than same boat with the Merc 700/NXT package so results do mean something.
The better choice I think would be the ADS #7 and the Mercury 700SCI.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 4,310 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Rik, this drive guard you speak of , thats something permanent or removable?
I have #4s on extension boxes and the swim platform would be one ugly long piece if it was long enough to extend beyond the cleavers. So its not just a Arneson problem. No ladder out back for me and if someone slips off the back .. oh man I don`t even wanna think about it. I gotta figure something out, my kids are 6 and 9.

EDIT: Nevermind found it on your site.. thats really nice wish I had that option

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 03-18-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Ummmmm......yeah.

1. Screen name with Skater in it
2. Instant expertise in one post
3. Soon to say "banned"
I'm getting good at spotting him too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.