What could cause this roll over???? >

What could cause this roll over????

Notices

What could cause this roll over????

Old 03-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

if you look close looks like the starboard tab was dragging the water already,you can hear the engines rev in the video so betwen the tab being draged and the on off theottle may do it..i know i had a bag of stuff between my seats in my donzi,the bag was heavy enough to put the starboard tab all the way in the water and the port side of the boat almost went under when i went to plane off and then relised that the tab was all the way down and i raised it and the boat flattened out..
Old 03-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Registered

Twin engined boat. No one got injured, looks like the starboard tab was way down, he approached some wake and it could have upset the boat with too much tab on the starboard side. The boat wasn't turning hard to cause rollover. This was in 2009, obviously someone no more about it by now what really happened .
Old 03-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From 09 thread
Originally Posted by JJONES
As we stared to get close to the turn,half way down the straight,I decided to enter the turn wider than before and carry more speed. Since we were having such a tough time turning anyway ,I thought a bigger,faster turn would give us more drive out of the corner onto the straight.Boy was I wrong.As we started to turn in I think we hit a cross wake that caused the boat to become very unsettled,then all of a sudden,I no longer could steer as if the boat was plowing and the rear was very high.At that point,it was pucker up time and we got wet.It happened so fast!Ive watched the video over and over to try and figure it out but cant.It seems like it was just one of thoes things.Although we did get some advice before tha race from RIQUE FORD,He said our props might be to big in diameter which will casue the boat to ride high and to be very careful which we werent. NOTHING HAPPENED TO US NOR THE BOAT SO WE ARE VERY LUCKY.I DO HAVE TO BUILD SOME NEW HATCHES ,THATS ABOUT IT.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 369 Likes on 248 Posts

great info ! thanks!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

that boat hit a manatee,that caused it to roll over
Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

If you look closely at how high the stern of that boat was riding - probably due to the large diameter props which can cause excessive stern lift - what the driver said makes perfect sense. It would have been bad enough on a straight V-bottom. Add steps to the equation and you have a real issue. It's truly amazing that nobody got hurt and the boat sustained so little damage.

I once tried an early Spinelli 4 blade prop on my boat and it had so much stern lift that going into a mild turn at only 45 MPH, I thought the stern was going to paddle wheel itself around on me. That ended the prop test.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by activator40
that boat hit a manatee,that caused it to roll over
Nah, another cruiser wake.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Prop diameter

I think the stern was riding too high. Probably caused by too large a diameter prop.

(now i'll go watch the video to confirm my original theory)
Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Registered

Default the roll today

Now ,looking back and seeing the video 100s of times, The feeling of the roll was like catching an edge snow skiing or snow boarding. we were wider in the turn, crc had all ready gone threw. we went wider to carry more speed. as we hit the wakes of the other boats ,which get larger as they move away from the center of the coarse,more so in the turns,my thottle man backed off to keep the boat low in the stern so boat would not spin out. We were all ready high due to large diameter props and high x so traction, hookup was compromised.When we hit the wakes, the boat layed down instead of staying settled in the rear. So as we were turning left, the stern wanted to go straight causing the roll. speed was about 80. my thottle man, also my best friend just passed of cancer last year. funny thing is, he would of died earlier if we didnt crash. A little while after the crash he still didnt feel well ,thought he screwed up his neck from the crash. he went to the doctors and came out with brain cancer which they were able to treat for several years. if there wasnt a crash, he wouldnt have gone to doctor and would have died that year. he was the first person to come out of the boat in the front. I came out second when to boat was up side down.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:42 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by JJONES
Now ,looking back and seeing the video 100s of times, The feeling of the roll was like catching an edge snow skiing or snow boarding. we were wider in the turn, crc had all ready gone threw. we went wider to carry more speed. as we hit the wakes of the other boats ,which get larger as they move away from the center of the coarse,more so in the turns,my thottle man backed off to keep the boat low in the stern so boat would not spin out. We were all ready high due to large diameter props and high x so traction, hookup was compromised.When we hit the wakes, the boat layed down instead of staying settled in the rear. So as we were turning left, the stern wanted to go straight causing the roll. speed was about 80. my thottle man, also my best friend just passed of cancer last year. funny thing is, he would of died earlier if we didnt crash. A little while after the crash he still didnt feel well ,thought he screwed up his neck from the crash. he went to the doctors and came out with brain cancer which they were able to treat for several years. if there wasnt a crash, he wouldnt have gone to doctor and would have died that year. he was the first person to come out of the boat in the front. I came out second when to boat was up side down.
you guys were real lucky those props did not get you..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.