Trial Started for Boat Crash of 2008 >

Trial Started for Boat Crash of 2008

Notices

Trial Started for Boat Crash of 2008

Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I have an identical Whaler in the shop and I can tell you it is a thin copper gun layup with a light expansion foam core. I actually sanded through it by hand trying to put a feature line in it to move where the non skid was.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-05-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skaterdave
really thats your guys' theory, that it can't be the bigger powerboat because of the extensive damage of the whaler.

it's a open whaler that was struck broadside, probably its weakest point, by the nose of the other boat. you ever see a whaler of that type up close, their like the econo version of the carolina skiffs with no real deck to stiffen up sides.
Dave, I have no 'theory' - Tim does: that a cruiser or tow whacked the Whaler, then DeDilio(?) ran through the trash. Silly? possibly, BUT it fits the datapoints.

Whatever happened in actuality, DeDilio's(?) boat did NOT crawl across and through the Whaler. It may have ramp-jumped it - in which case, DeDilio is the best boat-driver some stunt show does not have.

KitePool has it right, I think. Everybody was in their own little world, nobody was paying attention and merde happened.

I am assuming that both Prosecution and Defendant will have experts and accident re-constructors, neither of which will mean much, I do not think, unless, until there is a clear, applicable, properly-constructed law that was broken.

As I said earlier, even if every single assertion against DeDilio(?) were true, Mr Post's clear, statutory duty and obligation to avoid collision is minimised little.

This may be a case of killing someone who is committing suicide, but all the rationalising, fingerpointing, smoke & mirrors cannot alter the fact that Mr Post was the Burdened vessel.

Bob

Last edited by goatskin; 04-05-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: clarity: merde for *****e (****e)
Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I think Tim puts up a reasonably plausible scenario, its most certainly not out side possibility that they may have been the second boat and struck debris. I keep imagining myself in the situation and how easily it could happen. I boat at night often and it is unbelievable how many times I tun across poorly lit (or not at all) boats.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-06-2013, 12:06 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone seen or heard anything about the alcohol involved in regards to the people on the small boat? I find it interesting that they were at dinner and on their way home and the people on the boat weren't a little tipsy themselves. Not that it has anything to do with what the above discussions but i'm interested to see what the reports say.

I was actually around and some of my really close friends including my sister were on the scene when a speedboat hit the sailboat in 2006 in Clear Lake Ca. My friend performed CPR on the deceased. This is what a boat looks like after its hit by a speedboat going 50mph. I have a hard time thinking a boat that size hit that tin can at that speed did that little damage.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwBQ&dur=144
Old 04-06-2013, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

A couple thoughts:

-If DiGilios boat was the second to hit the Whaler, what does/did the Post party have to gain from pointing the finger at Anthony? There are enough survivors from the Post party that surely one of them would have recalled/said we were hit by two different boats, no?

-Why is it assumed that the Whaler was the burdened/crossing vessel. I do not know the EXACT point of the accident but very close to that area the ICW takes a number of 90 degree turns and there are perpendicular exits to lesser channels. It may be plausible that the Whaler was following the ICW at that point and was hit by the IMP when it crossed the ICW? Would this still make the Whaler the burdened vessel?

- Last, but not least, Anthony was not alone in the IMP. One would have to believe that the passengers testimony is going to have a significant impact on the outcome of the trial

Last edited by scarabman; 04-06-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:43 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Skaterdave I would say more of an acquaintance . I do not know him all that well and only met several times while the boat was being built at a company I have worked for in the past. I would like to make it perfectly clear that I am not taking sides . If the Imperial is as fault then I stand by the courts decision on whatever it may be. I am not judging anyone as I was not there to witness the accident . Never sure what to believe what I read in the papers. Early reports claim the boat was retrieved from a garage yet another paper says opening arguments then boat was picked up from a vacant lot across the street of the owners house . Big conflict there. One makes it out that he is hiding it yet another they called the authorities in less then 24 hours to come get the boat because they (thought) it may have been involved. If the investigators found evidence inside the center console then by all means the boat was up inside there and it would convince me. But if all they might have is markings from the Whaler on the Imperial I think it is a possibility that they could have hit debris. People are assuming these were the only 2 boats out on the water that night . To be sure of that the cameras from the multiple number of bridges surrounding the accident location should be looked at.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 04-06-2013, 06:48 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by skaterdave
really thats your guys' theory, that it can't be the bigger powerboat because of the extensive damage of the whaler. .
You obviously missed my point. It is the lack of damage to the Imperial. How does the bow of a boat go through broadside and suffer no marks on the port side bow of the Imperial ? That is what has me puzzled.

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 04-06-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:01 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Aasved
Has anyone seen or heard anything about the alcohol involved in regards to the people on the small boat? I find it interesting that they were at dinner and on their way home and the people on the boat weren't a little tipsy themselves.
Yes. The defense lawyer brought that up and even went to go as far as saying the driver of the whaler actually fell asleep at the dinner table. I have yet to see any bac results in the paper even though they all were admitted into the hospital. There are some video ops of the trial on some of the reporting websites. They Whaler was at speed as well. They weren't idling or anchored. According to the widow they were on plane.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:38 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sharkey do you know that they have not looked at those videos? Maybe they have and it will be used as evidence? We all know that the news papers get things wrong all the time. I am sure the prosecuters have a lot more information then we are reading in the papers.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
You obviously missed my point. It is the lack of damage to the Imperial. How does the bow of a boat go through broadside and suffer no marks on the port side bow of the Imperial ? That is what has me puzzled.
If the Imp had a bow up attitude (as it should of running on plane and at speed) then it's completely possible to me that upon impact the whaler could have been forced downwards and away from the Imp, and not driven completely through.... It's happened to me multiple times in race crashes.... I was t-boned off the race course by a boat running 70mph, just as I was starting to plane out (it was a practice day). Having a bow high attitude actually pushed me up and somewhat over the other boat and more than likely saved my life because had he been bow high or I still been at idle, we would've directly impacted my cockpit....

Last edited by DonziFreak; 04-06-2013 at 07:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.