Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Chicago, When are we going to get some boats together? >

Chicago, When are we going to get some boats together?

Notices

Chicago, When are we going to get some boats together?

Old 07-24-2002, 11:08 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We launch out of Winthrop Harbor when on the "permanent puddle" and we just went to the "taste" couple weeks ago. Would love to hook up with some of you folks, especially with those light southwest winds mentioned, on a trip in any direction. We plan on going to the air show practice on Friday 8/16 by boat, weather permitting, as well.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:09 AM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dan,
Don't forget we can try to get everyone down for the River Poker Run on Sept. 7.

Thats always a good time
Old 07-24-2002, 01:04 PM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Candyman,
Yes you can tie up at the long pier by the city boat landing. The long pier is actually away from the actual boat ramp so you will not be interferring with the ramp activities or their docks. How many boats do you think we may have? We may be running up to Racine this weekend and I could check to see how many slips we could get at the resturant in the harbor vs the long pier by the city ramp.

Rick
Old 07-24-2002, 01:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by candyman35
We could try for two runs. Maybe we could run up to St. Joe or further depending on the water and grab a late lunch at Michigan City on the way home. The wall would be a safe place to tie up. Instead of making a lake crossing run the shoreline and put on a show for the beach goers.
Any of you Michigan guys Know of a good place we could all meet up for lunch that would have room for a bunch of boats? New Buffalo or St. Joe?
Dan
Dan,
St Joe has the wall in the river where you can tie up to, and raft boats off. It's pretty long, too, so you can get a lot of boats without going 2-3 wide. There is the Pump House (best place there for a goup), Schu's, Silver Dollar, The Bistro for a fancy dinner, and Kilwins for ICE CREAM!!! LOL! The muni is usually full with us locals on the weekends. The 27th and 28th (this weekend) we won't be in the water, though. I bet a bunch of us could run with you to MI City or something if you came up here. There are 7 or 8 boats around here. Barney's Boathouse is cool and right by Clementines, but they only have a few slips and the 46 Rough Rider in it last weekend stuck out about 30' past the end of the dock

New Buffalo has some slips usually available. As far as I know there is really no place to tie up and get into town. You'd have to hit the muni for some transients. There is Hannah's and one other place I can't recall in town that has good grub. The good ice cream shop there closed though. The other one isn't as good. Trust me, if there is one thing I know a lot about....LOL!

A bunch of us MI peeps were thinking of heading to Holland for a weekend, too. So, if it's not the same weekend, we'll be around and can hook up.

Mark
Old 07-24-2002, 01:22 PM
Registered

We would definitly be interested. We usually launch at Winthrop Harbor (NorthPoint Marina) But can launch anywhere as long as we have directions.

Problem is, we don't have the boat yet. Keep us posted as if we have it when you have the event(s), we will join in.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:17 PM
Intolerant1

Let me throw this out there as I think it would be a blast. About 10 years ago we put our boats in on the Illinois River in Morris and headed towards Strarved Rock state park. There is a camp ground with little docks you can park at and sleep on your boat or break out the tents ans camp on land (for those cuddyless boaters). I think an overnight OSO camp out could be pretty wild. I will call my buddy whp set this up years ago and try and find out where exactly we went. As far as the big pond, I can cruise at 40ish mph and as long as it stays around two foot Im good. Rollers are ok, its the chop that brings me pain. Why dont we try and do acouple gatherings?

You might want to move this thread over to OSO Gatherings or at least post a link to it over there so it doesnt get lost.

Old 07-24-2002, 04:16 PM
Intolerant1

Just talked to my buddy who said the camping was in Marsielles (no idea how to spell it). I need to find out where the locks are now in that area. My wife and I are going to do this either way. Ill let ya know what I find out. Air show sounds great if the water cooperates. Sitting on a rocking boat all day can be tough. Last year we tied up at Chicago PD dock because the water was terrible. Membership has its privledges

Old 07-24-2002, 04:42 PM
Registered

We were just there, all over the place. Ya'll should have come out to play, ah Mr. Cig

Robert
Old 07-24-2002, 05:11 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You got it Robert. We had a blast!!!!
It's just hard to get that group going before noon. But then they don't stop til wee hours in the morning.

I'm still tired and it's Weds already

Mark
Old 07-24-2002, 05:23 PM
Registered

I will be watching the Venitian Night fireworks on Saturday. Anyone else?

I would be interested in meeting you guys. Racine has a good resaurant and plenty of space to tie up in the launch basin just behind the restaurant. There is plenty of room to raft.

Winthrop Harbor has plenty of room, but the food is just Ok. Waukegan Yacht Club might be interested?

I think someone is putting together a run from Diversey to Waukegan on Saturday. I will look for the website.

Who runs the poker run on September 7? Where do I sign up? I would be interested in seeing the river with someone that knows where they are going. I usually stay North of the city.

Steve

Quick Reply: Chicago, When are we going to get some boats together?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.