Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking at hones in SW Florida. Does FL have any weird boating laws? >

Looking at hones in SW Florida. Does FL have any weird boating laws?

Notices

Looking at hones in SW Florida. Does FL have any weird boating laws?

Old 04-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep three behind the house.
5357 Delano court...ccfl......33904

Google earth it.

Southeast cape (old yacht club) is the best for getting out. Forget other side of the lock.....sometimes broken.....and if not with no traffic, you still need 45 minutes to get on plane because you come out of there and directly into the miserable mile at red 91.

I am 6 houses from the river, and I am on plane before I can finish a cigarette that I light at the dock....so.....+\- 5 minutes?

I kept my 357sr-1 in the front yard for a year and a half. Code isn't that bad. We used to not be allowed to have pickup trucks.....period.

Cape coral was built NOT as the town of the living dead. Median age here is 37. Median income is 47k.

Cape coma is just a funny thing that the folks that have been here long enough to know use.

As far as unsightly, move away. This is a boating community....not some hoa with deed restrictions. And, you do not need a gate around it. That would be broward. There, the rule is " not visible from the street".

Forget dry dock. Put it behind the house on the lift. Throw the trailer on the side, done.

I saw marine engineer out last weekend....full canopy cat that is behind a fortress of a gate.....and I scratched my head. 1st house after Horton park. Wondering what tha he'll that diesel turbo hangin off the back of the cc is? Thing looks amazing.....

Anyway, I have lived on both coasts. Broward is a 20-something paradise.....but the water is sheet, and the people are not the same. Hurry, rude, agendas, and lots of crime and traffic. Trust me, they have NEVER filmed cops over here. Yeah....we have crime....but my kids can play outside without supervision in every neighborhood in the cape.....broward has MAYBE a dozen.....

There are a ton of power boats here.....and....famous racers along with musicians. We are a balanced community that is predominantly upper middle class. Tons to do, and very community oriented....lots of festivals, community gatherings, fairs, boat shows, poker runs.....

And tons of fishing......

We have some of the most pristine beaches on the planet. Sanibel captiva are close....45 minutes....along with cabbage key, fort myers beach, picnic island, north captiva, boca grande, pine island, matlache...the list goes on and on....

Yes, prices are on the climb. It is still cheaper to buy a shortsale, but new construction is very busy due to the lack of inventory. A friend just sold his 2- bedroom home by rumrunners for 355k. I just sold mine in Feb. (still here) for 184k) and it is 3-2-2 with inside laundry and circle drive.

The point, you can do very well here on a purchase or build. You most likely will buy with positive equity.

I am not one, but I know several competent realtors here....and I say that because so many are not.....

Don't know your financial status....and not asking...but....

Here a few things to consider in the cape:
if you buy a dirt lot, and build, you will have 20k+ in impact fees.
If you buy a house like mine, you can tear it down for about 7k.

That's a 13k reduction in cost.

Regardless of where you buy, make sure assessments are in and paid.

Taxes are low.
People are easy (for the most part)
we have some of the (arguable) BEST boating on the planet.
We receive plenty of European cash infusion due to tourism.

If you want to snowbird, a vacation rental here is a win win. You have vacationing Germans, Canadians, and other Europeans for two seasons a year. Later Feb to early June. End of oct thru december. I have 52 like homes that provide the owners with a free home due to rental income, and they block the times they wish to be here. The three most popular are Viking, tropical and riviera.

Www.cape-coral-vacation.com

Hit me up if u need to.....
Old 04-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Scabby Jack
Thanks guys. The houses I'm looking at have big enough garages to handle the boat so it should be no problem with storing it. If the lock gets that backed up wouldn't you just stop for drinks until the back log cleared out? I thought that's why The Joint/Rumrunners was put there?

Where are the local ramps for putting in and the fueling docks?

I definitely wouldn't buy behind the lock, but that's me, I don't wait very well and I hear resales suck, there's gas pump right at Rumrunners, Tarpon Point or do like we do sometimes, just have the fuel truck come to the house and fill you up while you're on your lift, it's only pennies more and who gives a F...
Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Joey....

I use coastal. As long as it is 300$, I find it is much cheaper than tarpon pointe.....and they are already cheaper than kc's and rumrunners. On average, I pay about .40 per gallon less than the fuel station, and they have ethanol free....

Also meant to mention....

Twin blown 540's dry to 1' of the tip, no mufflers. I get looks, but never pulled. If you do, tell them you're a racer and checking different ballast locations with the people on board and the cooler
Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by commandersander
Joey....

I use coastal. As long as it is 300$, I find it is much cheaper than tarpon pointe.....and they are already cheaper than kc's and rumrunners. On average, I pay about .40 per gallon less than the fuel station, and they have ethanol free....

Thanks, I'll check them out, I rarely get fuel at Tarpon, they're on drugs.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Don't forget to tell them you have on-water towing.....it gets u a discount!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have lived in Tampa, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando and West Palm Beach. I own a Condo in Destin at Emerald Grande right on Destin Pass. this is a great state period and I have spent the past 36 years of my life here.

I like SW Florida and must say if I could make the money there that I make here I would move there in a blink. The ONLY down side to I see and it's not that big of a deal is the close proximity to the Bahamas that we have here on the East side.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
Hey Craig.....did you settle yet? Welcome to the Cape. Got to go clean fish guts off the boat before they turn the power off at 8:00.
We went to settlement this morning. I realize that no one will believe me....but it's almost 10PM and we are still awake!!!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Registered

Commander,

Are the assessments the taxes? If they haven't been paid is that assumed by the buyer? If so that would suck royally. Thanks for that tip. And who is Coastal? Are they the home delivery people? Thank you again.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Love thread. Getting local info on the area and Florida boating, the wife has been pushing a move to the gulf coast side of Florida. The hard part is getting enough trips down there to check out the areas, the fact that I have a family of five you just don't pack up and hope for the best.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Assessments stem from te city puttin in sewer and water. They can be upwards of $20000. That was one of my requirements when I bought. Also I'm 33 and thoroughly enjoy te area. I live near midpoint bridge. I idle about 20 mins to the river. Then I'm on plane. That 20 mid is useful for us as we just loaded boat and wife is usually organizing everything anyhow. Lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.