Slight mishap at launch today... >

Slight mishap at launch today...

Notices

Slight mishap at launch today...

Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waycool marine
that's what powering on to the trailer does to ramps, as well as pulling all the soil out from under it. ever see a ramp shift or cave in? a lot of marinas are putting baseball sized rock ,or broken concrete as fill at the end of the ramp. ever hear a rock go thru a prop as someone powers on to the ramp sound very expensive, ruins a good day at the lake cause your to lazy to use the winch. I like the idea of trianges in front of front axles
I HAD to power on to my trailer with the Fountain. No choice. Otherwise it wouldn't go all the way up into the bow stop cradle. Not a matter of laziness. Usually it was a 5 second burst at most. I got yelled at a bunch of times, but there was nothing I could do.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
I HAD to power on to my trailer with the Fountain. No choice. Otherwise it wouldn't go all the way up into the bow stop cradle. Not a matter of laziness. Usually it was a 5 second burst at most. I got yelled at a bunch of times, but there was nothing I could do.
No doubt , some people dont get it thats what I have to do
Old 04-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Way to go, Joe! I'm sure that guy certainly appreciated the help. I'm letting Mr.Cig put his in the water at Hammond before I try mine! Lol.

I backed the trailer off the end of the ramp at Portage, IN a few years back...didn't know it. After the boat came off the trailer, I jumped in the truck and took off. There was a large crashing sound and a big jerk as I came out, but I thought I had just rolled over something on the ramp. Looked at the trailer when I parked...all the lights were hanging out of the back and the front axle support was torn on the driver's side. Fortunately, it held together for the trip home. We straightened the front axle and welded angular supports like what CNC described to address any future problems.
Try not to make that same mistake with the red tiger Mike
Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Registered

That's the plan Brian!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've had an issue like this once with the DCB trailer. I bent the stainless fender into the wheel. Was biatch bending it back.

If I ever get another trailer for any boat, i'm going to have them end the front fender with the bottom of trailer frame.
If I back off the edge again, that will allow me to drag it forward til the front trailer tire hits and then it should be able to "roll" up on that without any damage.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

I take it because the ramps were too short? If they aren't why wouldn't you just set the trailer deeper in the water? No insult meant just a honest question.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I've heard, yet not seen it done...

...That you can tie a line to the center of the aft end of the trailer, and then tie the other end off tight to the bow eye of the boat. Have someone in the boat put the boat in reverse to provide lift to the back end of the trailer while the driver of the truck pulls the trailer out in 4X4 Low Gear.

Granted, sounds like a nice way to pull the entire truck and trailer in the water though as well.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T-RAV
You would think with the water being that clear someone could have seen it. If someone was Out side of the truck. Man that water is clear.
That is excatly what i was thinking when i saw the pic...pretty water
Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I've heard, yet not seen it done...

...That you can tie a line to the center of the aft end of the trailer, and then tie the other end off tight to the bow eye of the boat. Have someone in the boat put the boat in reverse to provide lift to the back end of the trailer while the driver of the truck pulls the trailer out in 4X4 Low Gear.

Granted, sounds like a nice way to pull the entire truck and trailer in the water though as well.
I have also been told that they did this and it worked. We also used the windless on a 580 Sea Ray to just lift the back end of the trailer. This method worked real good. Big boat with bow and stern thrusters and a strong windless in a protected cove. The big cat trailer that was stuck now has skids and can just be pulled out now. The skids are a really good thing to have if you have to worry about going off the end of a ramp.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:38 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

This is one of those situations that a hydrolic trailer really comes in handy. When they delivered my cruiser they backed it in, lowered the front/tongue of the trailer and off she went. No need to back in so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.