Could you build a Carbon Fiber Trailer? >

Could you build a Carbon Fiber Trailer?

Notices

Could you build a Carbon Fiber Trailer?

Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The thing here is Not to Copy a metal trailer , The carbon fiber needs some engineering applied
on transferring the anticipated loading around and a robust safety factor , Remember : strength and rigidity are different properties as for the UV there are many systems claiming to work !
Old 04-19-2013, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1
The thing here is Not to Copy a metal trailer , The carbon fiber needs some engineering applied
on transferring the anticipated loading around and a robust safety factor , Remember : strength and rigidity are different properties as for the UV there are many systems claiming to work !
So true, a carbon trailer could end up looking significantly different than a conventional tube/frame trailer.
ed
Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

I went to Composites 2013 this year in Orlando. They had a collegiate contest for building truss structures in numerous classes such as tube, truss and sandwich. They did chit with a 4 foot span that held thousands of pounds out of what seemed to be toothpicks and bubble gum. (very minimal amounts of carbon fiber and laminates)

The trailer has numerous different options with square tube or I beam carbon fiber. Engineering mechanical properties like the Boeing 787 fuselage and wings isnt an option since it requires a tape machine in the $250M range - so that is out... Several other prepregs are not realistic either as the require an autoclave. I beam or tubular is the only realistic way. The ramp rash isnt an issue either as it would only require a few skid plates.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

http://element6composites.com/applic...sses-beams.asp

This would make it easier.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

I'd make it out of weldable unobtanium.
ed
Old 04-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Unobtanium gets us in trouble, NASCAR says it has to be available to everyone.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done a fair amount of CG design and analysis as part of my job and like a couple people have said, CF trailer makes zero sense. Put some of that made in china fake carbon graphit sticker on a aluminum one and call it good.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Registered

Titanium would be neat though, adios corrosion issues.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Gold Member

Forget the trailer, I want to see someone do a boat with exposed cf hull. Maybe some silver or gold leaf striping to finish it off.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

cost would be horrendous. Then factor in repair if needed. I mean if the thing gets cracked or scraped its nothing some the average joey could repair at home or run down to local welder. I would think if you had something that broke pretty badly you might have to buy a new one. The upside would be the thing could last forever, no rust or anything. But then again whos going to keep a boat that the trailer is made for forver? So the cost would not outweigh the benefits. Plus you have to figure now when composites are used they usually maried up with metals of some sort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.