Could you build a Carbon Fiber Trailer? >

Could you build a Carbon Fiber Trailer?

Notices

Could you build a Carbon Fiber Trailer?

Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Could you build a Carbon Fiber Trailer?

Given that some of our boating brothers believe in over-the-top type things, why hasn't anyone built a CF or composite trailer?

I realize that the suspension etc might need to remain aluminum or steel, but couldn't the frame, bunk rails and winch tower be done? Wouldn't it prolong life in saltwater areas and also provide a much lighter platform to tow with? Would you be able to make it so that the suspension/wheel system was modular and could be swapped out for rebuild or maintenance?

I'm a Realtor, not an engineer, so I just wondered why it hadn't been done.

Flame away....
Old 04-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes you can, but the cost would be horrible (maybe not for some). leaf springs for certain applications are carbon and have been for some time. the union of carbon and metal is also possible as well. so axle beams and wheel hubs could be joined. one problem with carbon would be direct sunlight.....it doesnt fare well in it and salt water combined with the sun would have another effect on it.

However, you could wrap carbon over thin walled aluminum (rectangular tubing) for frame rails. it could then be drilled with less chance of fraying or fracture.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

it would probably float away at the ramp....
Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

It could be done, however any damage to the surface coating would have to repaired immediately. So scraping a ramp could be catastrophic. However, anyone with enough money to build a cf trailer is probably craning their boat into the water.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 1,819 Likes on 711 Posts

Great idea.
I'm thinking some of my Australian water ski racing friends have used it for parts of their trailers but not sure. Thinking I've seen it in their fenders anyhow.
They too go way over the top on their rigs and that would fit right in.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

Years ago I worked on a jeep commando show vehicle that had a carbon frame sort of.

The rails were made of carbon wrapped honeycomb, from I think aluminum. Pretty wild, had a fuel cell in it. People loved it at CES that year.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Registered

Might be some neat bling on the upper half of a tilt trailer, would look killer in transit...
Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtiepower00
Might be some neat bling on the upper half of a tilt trailer, would look killer in transit...
That was actually my first thought for use. Given the weight of tilt trailers that could be a huge advantage.

As for light sensitivity etc. I would think just painting it would fix that. After all, it's about weight savings and longer life in my estimation.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Carbon fiber is preferred in strength to weight ratio for building airplanes, but at same time, deflection under the same weight matters a lot. Aluminum will bend at its deflection limit and carbon will shatter.
Materials and labor would bankrupt you compared to steel or aluminum welded trailers.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Registered

It'd danm sure be stiff!

And if you have a CF trailer you'd have to be out of your mind to paint it, how else can you brag?!?!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.