Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Multi weight oils. Good info. >

Multi weight oils. Good info.

Notices

Multi weight oils. Good info.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel like I'm in the middle of a TV commercial! "They couldn't write it on the internet if it wasn't true. Who said that? THE INTERNET". Seriously where did this information come from? This thread is a pile of stupid. There is not one accurate bit of information about oil contained within it. This type of thing is all over the internet. Not even sure what the “psi rating” in that long (obviously copied from an oil brand’s website) list of oils is about. What test? What equipment? What is the pass/fail criteria? It would take a complete re-write of the entire thread to make it actually true and meaningful.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by benjen
I feel like I'm in the middle of a TV commercial! "They couldn't write it on the internet if it wasn't true. Who said that? THE INTERNET". Seriously where did this information come from? This thread is a pile of stupid. There is not one accurate bit of information about oil contained within it. This type of thing is all over the internet. Not even sure what the “psi rating” in that long (obviously copied from an oil brand’s website) list of oils is about. What test? What equipment? What is the pass/fail criteria? It would take a complete re-write of the entire thread to make it actually true and meaningful.
Well brother get to work !!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Ok that is how you see it and that's fine. I see it as mostly testimonials on the different brands and wieghts that we have used and the real world results that we all have seen. other than that everyone is still going to choose the brand and wieght they feel comfortable with! and in the end thats all that matters.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Registered

I'm not questioning the "testimonials". You are right. Unless something is seriously wrong most of us will choose the oil we want and will be satisfied. It's the list of the 14 oils that has zero merit/back up.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, since you obviously are gonna sit here and Armchair me, which you must obviously be good at, considering you been a member for 7 years and have a whopping 114 posts....

The test I posted up was performed by ALS Tribology (formerly Staveley Labs) in Sparks, Nevada.

http://webtrieve.alstribology.com/

I agree the internet can be a pile of crap, it can also be a wealth of information. Personally, being a consumer, i'd much rather rely on information such as I posted, rather than listening to some Jerkoff at the auto parts store, or some local gearhead who swears STP oil treatment is the way to go, because he been using it since 1962 in his engine and all is well.

So, let me ask you toughguy, have you taken the time to read the links I posted up? Neither article was written by a vendor, nor a specific company. It was a general scientific breadown of how engine oils are made up. The purpose of this, was to educate. If you have a better way to educate myself, or anyone else on this thread, feel free to post up some information.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Registered

I'm not signing up or whatever I need to do to read the ALS article. Let me just ask you. Does ALS answer the questions I raised concerning the test, the equipment, the pass/fail criteria?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Registered

I'm not signing up or whatever I need to do to read the ALS article. Let me just ask you. Does ALS answer the questions I raised concerning the test, the equipment, the pass/fail criteria?
I have no reason to doubt what I read here. The specific test that was done was to test quaker states new ''defy" oil. If it was a test to promote any individual brand, the results wouldn't have showed the way they came out. I don't work for a oil company, oil lab, I'm just relaying information I have found. If you don't care, or think its bs, than why are we arguing. What oil do you recommend, and why?

Here is a more specific link to where I originally found that particular test results.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...test-data.html
Old 04-22-2013, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

pay no attention joe,some people just dont get it,i found it a good educational read,thanks for taking the time to do the research and sharing it with us.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes Joe Thanks for posting and sharing!!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
pay no attention joe,some people just dont get it,i found it a good educational read,thanks for taking the time to do the research and sharing it with us.
That was the whole point of the thread. If you're gonna come on and call BS, back it up with something of value.

Its funny how I started the thread, and mentioned viscosity improvers, and their downside to the engine oil makeup, especially in dino oil. How the oil can thin out over time once it breaks down. Then several members backed that up, stating how after a certain amount of hours, their oil pressures are down a bit using certain multi weight dino. Then with a fresh oil change, its back up again. HMM, I guess that's all BS.

I don't have a favorite oil. If I want a 50w oil at 210*, that's what I want the oil to be. Whether its at 1 hour of use or 10 hours of use.

Kind of like the whole rumor that's been floating around oso for years, on using synthetics causing the roller wheel on the lifter to skid across the cam lobe and ruin the cam. Well, then how can about every automotive engine made these days utilizes roller lifters, and recommends synthetic oil, or even comes shipped with it. Facts are facts, rumors are rumors, and theorys are theorys. I don't have a oil laboratory in my garage. Unfortunatly, i'll have to due some due diligence to get the information. Sorry if I wasted your time with meaningless internet hype Benny!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.