Notices

OT: Truck Suspension

Old 07-27-2002, 02:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lifted every truck I have ever owned, 2 Dodge's, 2 Fords, and 2 GMC's. Air bags are the best for total control when towing. Leafs are inexpensive lift and will work. I would spend the extra $100-$150 and use the bags. They are all easy to install.

Also you crank the torsion (spelling?) bars on IFS suspensions to raise the front end, but expect to wear out your front suspension faster if you get too aggresive cranking. Make sure you align the front after that, so you don't wear out your tires. My other love besides boats is wheeling. I've dropped over 30K on my trucks since 94, although not nearly as much since the wife and kids came along!
Old 07-28-2002, 12:00 AM
Registered

Arrow Re: Brian's offer

Originally posted by Flyinbrian
I am amazed at so many people that spend mega bucks for their boat and tow it with a truck, or even worse, an SUV barely rated or not rated to tow it. Then they go out and throw money at bolt-ons to compensate for an inadequate tow vehicle...add air bags so it can tow the boat more level...

Well Brian, I'm afraid that I have to use my SUV for multi-purpose. It functions as a grocery getter, snow ski shuttle, off-roader, kid taxi, and boat hauler (within the tow rating). The bags sure help the boat hauling, without hurting the other duties.

I wish I could afford a dedicated tow vehicle, but I just don't have the money.

However, if you are volunteering to buy me a dedicated tow vehicle...then I accept! Thank you very much! A Sterling will do...and in white, please.

Thanks again.

Old 07-28-2002, 12:43 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love pulling into the local grocery store with the F350 crew, dually

I had dual airbag controls on my F250. That was nice so you could level for different road situations and also different loads if you had a uneven load in your bed

Jon
Old 07-28-2002, 07:37 AM
Registered

HH~ White you say? Since it's a dedicated tow vehicle, what color is your boat? I'll go ahead and have some custom graphics applied before I send it out. Send me your address and I'll have you your Sterling.

Depending on what SUV you have, you probably could have bought one hell of a nice 1 ton dually crew cab that would not need air bags to keep it from doing a wheelie while towing to Havasu.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:29 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Gotta agree with flyinbrian. A half ton will do a lot, but a truck built for the job is soooo much better. 1 ton duallies are no more expensive than everything else, and look cool too. For example, my 2001 Chevy K3500 4x4 extended cab stickered for 34K and I bought for considerably less. Actually cheaper than a lot of SUV's.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:27 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Depending on what SUV you have, you probably could have bought one hell of a nice 1 ton dually crew cab that would not need air bags to keep it from doing a wheelie while towing to Havasu.
Well, Brian...you are preaching to the chior...I would love to have a dually...as a matter of fact, I tried to talk Mrs HH into it when we were shopping. However, since we only tow a small percentage of the time, so I got vetoed.

Mrs HH has enough trouble parking the SUV...I can't imagine her playing bumper cars in a mall parking lot with a dually. So, I guess you guys should be happy I have a SUV.

As for the dedicated tow vehicle, since you are being nice enough to ship a new one to me, please don't worry about the graphics. As a matter of fact, I see GO4BROKE is volunteering to help with the "HH Tow Vehicle Fund", so maybe I can get him to take care of that!

You guys are the greatest!

Old 07-28-2002, 09:25 PM
Registered

Default No problem!

HH~I would never of busted your b@lls if you would have told me you were vetoed on the dually from the beginning!!!!

I keep trying to come up with bull$h*t reasons to convince my wife that we need two new 2.5 OS Merc's for my rig! Veto..veto...veto.....

Maybe GO4BROKE can follow me out to Havasu when we deliver your Sterling. That way we can tow a boat out there and I'll have a ride home.

All I ask is that you show me all of the party spots where they film the chicks getting crazy!!!!
Old 07-28-2002, 09:38 PM
Registered

Default Also!

HH~I just checked out your website that you have linked at the bottom of your posts. I must say, you have a gorgeous boat! I read all of the work that has gone into making it look so good too. Hell of a job! There isn't a better feeling than doing one al on your own and finishing it! I am restoring an 18' tunnel hull myself and I can relate to all of the work that goes into one of these.

Nice job!

Back to the towing bit. It looked like you are towing with a Suburban or Tahoe from the picture. I would imagine you are well under the tow rating, right? My comments are more directed towards the people overloading their tow vehicles.

One comes to mind very well! A couple of years ago on Lake Cumberland, I saw a moron towing a 38 Special Baja with a TAHOE!!! What an idiot! Tahoe tow rating=6900. 38 foot Baja=9600. Dyslexia patient?

Not only is he putting his big dollar boat in danger, he is putting his family and all surrounding motorists at risk of being involved in a major catastrophe.

That is the stuff that simply amazes me.

Old 07-28-2002, 10:47 PM
BTJ88

Brian & GFB, I agree. I would ideally like to trade in for a 3/4 - 1 ton, but that's not in the cards right now. I am not looking into these products to overload my truck, just level the ride. I am probably going to go with air bags. The idea of being able to use them when you need them and not have the ride afected when you don't need them sounds pretty apealing.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what kits are better. I will doing the install myself. I looked at Firestones Ride-Rite bag kit and it seems like a good setup. Any comments?

Thanks,

Brian

Old 07-28-2002, 11:41 PM
Registered

Cool Re: Towing gone wild

I just checked out your website that you have linked at the bottom of your posts. I must say, you have a gorgeous boat!
Hey Brian...thanks for the kind words...not many people can appreciate the time, blood, sweat and tears (and more blood) it takes to upgrade an old boat that is out of production (AKA- custom EVERYTHING).

She's old & slow, but she holds a cooler as well as many bigger boats! Actually, like everyone else, I'll be stepping up soon. Hey, without dreams...you got nightmares!

My comments are more directed towards the people overloading their tow vehicles.

One comes to mind very well! A couple of years ago on Lake Cumberland, I saw a moron towing a 38 Special Baja with a TAHOE!!! What an idiot! Tahoe tow rating=6900. 38 foot Baja=9600. Dyslexia patient?
I don't know if you saw this thread...but your post kinda reminded me of it...rocket scientists are all over the place...and they tow boats, too.

You guys are welcome to hang with us at Havasu anytime...no Sterling needed...however, I do recommend a good video camera!