Notices

'08 Tahoe suspension

Old 10-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '08 Tahoe suspension

Just took delivery on the new '08 Tahoe for Las Vegas. Absolutely love the truck except that I am used to a BMW X5 ride/handling. The Tahoe has a very noticeable rear-end sway with even the slightest steering input, particularly at highway speeds. Another vehicle (Tahoe) I test drove had the exact same feel. I can understand why these roll over.

Any way to stiffen the rear suspension to improve this?

Would aftermarket shocks or stiffer stabilizer bar help?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I don't know what's out there in the way of sway bars for these trucks (yet).

Rear air-bags really improved the handling of my last two trucks that were SRW. The 1st being a 2-door Tahoe; and the 2nd being a 3/4 ton Avalanche. They reduced body roll, and kept the rear end firmly planted when I wanted it.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Registered

A lower profile tire with a stiffer sidewall will make a big difference . The larger diameter wheels will look cool too .
Old 10-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1bagger
A lower profile tire with a stiffer sidewall will make a big difference . The larger diameter wheels will look cool too .
Already has the 20" factory rims and low profile 275/55/20 tires.

Last edited by RedDog382; 10-21-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

besides feeling different than the BMW, the body roll is harmless. These are trucks, not sports cars.

I just counter act the body roll with the throttle. Its almost more important for correct steering and throttle input while driving an SUV than a sports car. If you drive it right, you won't even feel it.

I drive my lifted, 1 ton diesel faster around turns than most drive their cars. Living in an area with tons of curves, and taking racing courses also helps a bit . The main thing is steering with the throttle. Never coast or brake into turns.

Edit: My dad has an 07 suburban, and it feels like a car compared to my truck. Rack and pinion steering is a bit on the sensitive side for me, but body roll isn't near that bad. How many of these actually roll over, and how many of the roll overs had outside factors involed?

Last edited by Joe92GT; 10-21-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A rear sway bar often makes vehicles more crosswind-sensitive.

Your Tahoe is mushy because it's sprung softly and possibly the tires. OEM tires are spec'ed strictly for noise, the most common owner complaint. Often they wear quickly and have odd "feel". Michelins are notorious for that "on-center twitch". Some vehicles are exceptionally tire-sensitive. Excursions are one. I put Bridgestone AT Revo's on my wife's and it was un-driveable- it wandered from stripe to stripe and exhausted you trying to keep up with it. Went back to the stock tire and it went away (somewhat). On my Ex, I replaced the stock suspension with Superduty components and the wander stopped completely.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Registered

Superdutys are known for the wander.. the power steering box is horrible. I had a good one, but it started leaking, and the warranty replacement sucks!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe92GT
Superdutys are known for the wander.. the power steering box is horrible. I had a good one, but it started leaking, and the warranty replacement sucks!
My Excursion was all over the road. If I didn't watch it like a hawk, it would be line to line. It was tiring to drive- and dangerrous. I tried everything- tires, bigger sway bar, better shocks, rear bar, airbags. Then a board member posted about swapping SD components. Leafs up front, blocks in the back. went to 35" BFG's Did the whole job in under an hour. Tracks straight as an arrow now.

Are you saying that your drove OK then after the box replacement it wandered?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the coil spring/trailing arm/panhard bar suspension that makes it feel queasy. I haven't looked real close at what's under there, but I'm guessing it's a lot like an F-body (Camaro/Firebird) setup. The panhard needs to be stiffened by putting in stiffer bushings and possibly welding additional stiffeners on. The trailing arms need better bushings also, and might benefit from being boxed in. There used to be a bunch of companies that offered stuff for the F-bods, but I don't see much being offered for the trucks.

EDIT: Energy Suspension offers part # 3.3194: bushings for the trailing arms and "track rod"

Last edited by handfulz28; 10-22-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Registered

Chris, the new box worked ok for the first 10-15k miles... then got pretty loose. I had the truck on an alignment rack, and checked for slop everywhere. The only slop is in the steering box, a common issue. The ex box is identical. I aligned the tow to perfect, not just in tolerance, but at 00 on both sides. Still wanders all over. There is a company that supposedly makes a good box.. I'm selling the truck for a chevy after this plow season so I'm not that worried.

Back to the chevy:
The track bars would not effect sway right? They locate the rear side to side. I guess soft bushings might let the rears wander a bit. My dads 07 tracks perfect. The rack and pinion steering is just a bit sensitive for me.

Again, I still think how its driven has a huge effect on feel.

Quick Reply: '08 Tahoe suspension

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.