Starboard side exhaust smoking >

Starboard side exhaust smoking

Notices

Starboard side exhaust smoking

Old 04-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starboard side exhaust smoking

I just took my boat out for the first time since I bought it in jan. and it ran good, but the starboard side exhaust is smoking light color smoke. At first I figured it was just steam which maybe it is but the other side has very little to none coming out. Our lake just thawed a couple weeks ago so obviously the lake is very cold so I expected some steam/white smoke but would have assumed it would have been the same for both sides of the engine. The boat has a 502 mag mpi with about 150 hours and I had it inspected when I bought it, they did a compression test which checked out perfect, the oil pressure and temp were right in line on the gauges, is this something I should worry about or am I paranoid because its a new to me boat?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

you might be worying about nothing, if the boat ran good you should be ok.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Single engine? I doubt something is ONLY wrong with one bank of that engine. Put a new impeller in just for peace of mind. Keep monitoring while you run it. Does it have smart craft?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Registered

Yes it is just a single engine, I forgot to mention I checked the oil and was all fine. The only thing I was thinking maybe a head gasket could be leaking into the exhaust side and would rather just take care of it now and not be down later on in the year, hopefully its is just paranoia, and no I do not have smartcraft.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Registered

I see that this is a old thread, but if you found the problem or if anyone else had the same thing happen, could you post what was making it do that? I'm having the same issue. Motor runs great, good oil pressure and temps, but smokes white out of one exhaust tip with hardly no water coming out and lots of water and no smoke out of the other?
Old 07-20-2015, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 374 Likes on 140 Posts

Check for plugged exhaust manifold they rust up the water passages and it restricks water flow resulting in more steam out one side of the exhaust.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Registered

Right on man thanks, I'll look into that for sure