Notices

supercharging 710 ilmor's

Old 05-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm thinking the sustained 5000-6000 RPM that street cars don't see is part of the problem.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I see.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cp5899
Why wouldn't it work? Tons of vipers running out there with sc's and turbo setup. Granted many have forged internals added (depending on year), but I don't know much about what ilmor does to the motors. From all my research the vipers are pretty tough and could handle more then 700 hp. Maybe not in a marine app? I don't know.
in the article posted by Matt T. is states the Ilmors are at 10.3:1 compression already so to take any type of additional boost over just a very nominal amount they would need to have compression lowered on them which varies in the difficulty to accomplish....shorter crank stroke, shorter rods, different pistons or different heads, thicker head gaskets or a decompression plate....all of those come with varying cost or issues

plates and gaskets increase the likelihood of failures especially at higher compression ratios which is playing with danger for adding a super charger, head work for compression is a skilled procedure, crank, rods, and pistons means tearing into the bottom end and if you go that route you are basically rebuilding your engine and you might as well "go for it" and then you will be supercharging a former Ilmor engine
Old 05-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TexasVines
in the article posted by Matt T. is states the Ilmors are at 10.3:1 compression already so to take any type of additional boost over just a very nominal amount they would need to have compression lowered on them which varies in the difficulty to accomplish....shorter crank stroke, shorter rods, different pistons or different heads, thicker head gaskets or a decompression plate....all of those come with varying cost or issues

plates and gaskets increase the likelihood of failures especially at higher compression ratios which is playing with danger for adding a super charger, head work for compression is a skilled procedure, crank, rods, and pistons means tearing into the bottom end and if you go that route you are basically rebuilding your engine and you might as well "go for it" and then you will be supercharging a former Ilmor engine
texas, you worded it much better than i did in my original post. "I would like to supercharge a former ilmor engine"
when mine were apart i found a great engine but one that seemed to be designed to handle just over 700hp and thats it. I already upgraded my rods and would still have to do pistons and valve train. So i feel I could easily add just about 4 or 5 lbs of boost to wake the motors up a bit. i think my boat would be perfect at about 800hp per side.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SC'ing the Ilmor V10 in a stock form would be unwise. Cars don't run steady state at the higher cylinder pressure levels and constant stress so they get away with far more. The stock engine internal components have trouble living under heavy stress with extra pressure. If one were to build there motor with forged rods, forged pistons then it would be possible if somebody built a kit but that's tough with the closed cooling, etc. The compression is really not a worry with 5-6psi of intercooled boost and 91 octane, slightly reduced spark curve.

SC'ing the LS based engines is a different story though.....

Last edited by Whipple Charged; 05-20-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe it has something to do with the stability of the Ali block under boost /high cilinder pressures making the crank flexing the cilinder block ?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stirling
Maybe it has something to do with the stability of the Ali block under boost /high cilinder pressures making the crank flexing the cilinder block ?
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! Not sure if this was addressed in the new GEN of motors but that was a huge concern on the previous design and dont believe it was addressed in the latest offering from Dodge. Not really a flaw in the design just the block was designed for a certain HP range while keeping the weight down. That said if you were to keep the boost/hp/cylinder pressure numbers on the lower side I would think you could get could possibly get away with it. It would be a cool piece with a whipple for sure.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris dont do it they run great
Old 05-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have played around quite a bit..........
Good post Dustin and Neil.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant leave well enough alone, can we!?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.