Notices

supercharging 710 ilmor's

Old 05-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharging 710 ilmor's

does anyone know someone who has done it?
Old 05-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Talk to ilmor first or maybe whipple got one in the work's
Old 05-19-2013, 09:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

maybe Hennessey Performance... Paxton has them for the vipers. I would like to see where this goes!!

Last edited by T-RAV; 05-19-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Contact ILMOR & speak to Ian. I doubt they'll recommend it. Engines weren't originally designed for a SC but I know Underground Performance here in Charlotte has Turbocharged many a Viper engine. ILMOR is about turnkey reliability & performance so they simply don't offer much beyond OEM but they may have a few tricks up their sleeve they could share.

I'm almost positive Ian's been to Underground during one of his visits to Charlotte.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,225 Posts

You are absolutely correct on Ilmor's position. Check out, Don?t Supercharge Your Ilmor Engine.

I did this interview with Paul Ray some time ago. I don't think his position has changed. If he believed post-warranty supercharging of Imor engines was a good idea, he'd probably say it. Supercharging would add horsepower well beyond Ilmor's current maximum offering, so it's reasonable to assume Ilmor isn't protecting its "bigger-power" business. Ray makes some good points in the interview. It's worth reading.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 AM
Registered

Matt- you're Johnny on the Spot, always able to come up w/ some factual supporting documentation on the subject much like the sound effects / sound bite guy on a morning radio show. You know the guy who has all that stuff at his finger tips. How do you keep up w/ it all??

Thanks for your input even though sometimes it isn't what we want to hear.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:18 AM
Registered
VIP Member

i have had one of my motors apart and examined the build, although i think the ilmor is a amazing motor it did seem to have some weak links. if i were to do it i would of corse upgrade those weak links. I'm positive it can be done safely and i too am all about reliability. My real question was if anyone already went threw it, who would of adjusted the fuel curve.

Hennessey and underground both came to my mind also, but what about stryker are they still around? they did some incredible things to the viper heads and if i remember correctly they were in michigan near ilmor.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:40 AM
Registered

I'm not familiar w/ Stryker.
To my knowledge ILMOR has experimented w/ some forced induction parts & pieces but never introduced them. Thats why I suggested you talk to Ian. Unfortunately my guess is anything they were tinkering w/ was based on the Gen 4 platform.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

You might speak with Craig Wilson of Wilson Marine. Back when they were racing their Ilmor Powered Fountain I believe they did quite a bit of research on the subject.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Why wouldn't it work? Tons of vipers running out there with sc's and turbo setup. Granted many have forged internals added (depending on year), but I don't know much about what ilmor does to the motors. From all my research the vipers are pretty tough and could handle more then 700 hp. Maybe not in a marine app? I don't know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.