Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Have you weighed your boat lately? >

Have you weighed your boat lately?

Notices

Have you weighed your boat lately?

Old 05-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

That is exactly what I did. I agree mine weighs in much higher than the manufacturer publishes.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truck sits on 24" Diesel Wheels.com rims, with 37" Toyos. Kelderman Air Ride lift kit (full 4 link setup, trailing arms and hardware are very heavy), 60gal Fuel tank, 1000 lb 3/4" Steel plate in bed of truck to control unsprung weight of rear end. And I am fat.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Registered

I still have 980lbs payload left over to fill the bed full of Kilos of Coke and strippers.[/QUOTE]

Your insurance company might deny your claim if those strippers are the kind mike Tkach likes. You'll come in over the GVW for sure [/QUOTE]

Im down with the "Portly Peelers" as well....
Old 05-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
. Ive read where guys have said "I'd have no problem towing a 38 Fountain with a Tundra''. IDK, 14k lbs is a heavy trailer.
Man, who would be dumb enough to say something like that on here?

I do it, in fact I am doing it 400 miles one way this July. Maybe I should have a dually diesel, but my diesel woes in the past keep me from ever wanting one again. I tried the gas F250 route, and the tundra just simply out tows and out brakes it. I have even stopped without my trailer brake from 60 mph, no big deal. Has anyone actually seen the size of the brakes on a tundra? Bigger up front than my friends 07 3500 DRW, that's a fact.

If it felt unsafe, I wouldn't do it. When I tell you it is one hand, cruise set, chatting with my wife driving...I'm. Not kidding. Seat of the pants has to count for something. If anyone wants to go for a ride and witness lane changes and stopping power, I would be more than happy to demonstrate.

To each their own I guess, I have full confidence in my trucks towing ability, even in severe winds. I just can't deal with the headaches of a so called HD truck as a daily driver, I've had enough.

Someone here posted a video a few years back of a DRW truck and camper being blown over in the plains of Kansas. I guess none of us are safe unless we are driving cat powered medium duty service vehicles?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

If the only indication of the load you are towing comes from brochures and manufacturer specs...
...take your setup to a scale.

Weight it all three ways:
Trailer alone; tongue stand down on the scale. (Entirety of your towed load; make sure your trailer/axles/wheels/tires are up to the task.)
Trailer wheels on the scale; with hitch weight on your truck. (Subtracting here gives you the REAL tongue weight.)
Entire rig; truck and trailer on the scale. (To check against your GCWR.)

If the only indication of the load you are towing comes from brochures and manufacturer specs...
...I guarantee you will be surprised!

Remember:
Fuel is ~6 lbs. per gallon
Water is ~8 lbs. per gallon

Your truck's rated weights and specs are with a driver only, NO payload, and a full fuel tank.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Man, who would be dumb enough to say something like that on here?

I do it, in fact I am doing it 400 miles one way this July. Maybe I should have a dually diesel, but my diesel woes in the past keep me from ever wanting one again. I tried the gas F250 route, and the tundra just simply out tows and out brakes it. I have even stopped without my trailer brake from 60 mph, no big deal. Has anyone actually seen the size of the brakes on a tundra? Bigger up front than my friends 07 3500 DRW, that's a fact.

If it felt unsafe, I wouldn't do it. When I tell you it is one hand, cruise set, chatting with my wife driving...I'm. Not kidding. Seat of the pants has to count for something. If anyone wants to go for a ride and witness lane changes and stopping power, I would be more than happy to demonstrate.

To each their own I guess, I have full confidence in my trucks towing ability, even in severe winds. I just can't deal with the headaches of a so called HD truck as a daily driver, I've had enough.

Someone here posted a video a few years back of a DRW truck and camper being blown over in the plains of Kansas. I guess none of us are safe unless we are driving cat powered medium duty service vehicles?
What is the GVWR/GCVWR of a Tundra?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

What year?
What model? (single, extended, crew)
4x2 or 4x4?

As an example:

Year
Make
Model
Engine
Tow Limit

TOYOTA
Tundra
CrewMax 4WD
5.7L V-8
9000 lbs.

http://www.campinglife.com/tow-ratings-database/

...And that is PROBABLY with a full Weight Distribution Hitch; not Weight Carrying--which is how 99.9% of boat trailers are setup.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-28-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
What year?
What model? (single, extended, crew)
4x2 or 4x4?

As an example:

Year
Make
Model
Engine
Tow Limit

TOYOTA
Tundra
CrewMax 4WD
5.7L V-8
9000 lbs.

Tow Ratings Database - Tow Vehicle Ratings | Camping Life Magazine

...And that is PROBABLY with a full Weight Distribution Hitch; not Weight Carrying--which is how 99.9% of boat trailers are setup.
You missed on that one. It's 10500, right out of my owners manual. Using the stock class 4 hitch non load distributing

Truck now has LT tires and air bags, I don't use the air bags. Also has a class 5 hitch with a reducer to 2 inch. How many guys out there are towing with class 3 hitches?

You guys just keep going back to this....constantly. Who the f&$k cares honestly? I have towed with a truck rated higher ( in your books) and it felt unsafe, and it was near new.

I trust my judgement, and that is the only thing that matters to me. Not the opinion of of a keyboard hero trying to save the planet one trailer at a time.

I can predict the next post..." Your insurance won't pay if you get in an accident"

Surely you guys have more useful contributions to the site than worrying how a guy gets his boat to the ramp?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 4bus
You missed on that one. It's 10500, right out of my owners manual. Using the stock class 4 hitch non load distributing

Truck now has LT tires and air bags, I don't use the air bags. Also has a class 5 hitch with a reducer to 2 inch. How many guys out there are towing with class 3 hitches?

You guys just keep going back to this....constantly. Who the f&$k cares honestly? I have towed with a truck rated higher ( in your books) and it felt unsafe, and it was near new.

I trust my judgement, and that is the only thing that matters to me. Not the opinion of of a keyboard hero trying to save the planet one trailer at a time.

I can predict the next post..." Your insurance won't pay if you get in an accident"

Surely you guys have more useful contributions to the site than worrying how a guy gets his boat to the ramp?

Please post the specs on the truck you are referring to, and look very carefully at the model I specified above.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08...edibility.html

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-28-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

2011 Toyota Tundra Gets More Powerful Base Engine

An available Tow Package on all Tundra i-Force V8 models increases towing capacity significantly, up to 10,400 pounds, depending on the model and drivetrain (see specifications sheet).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.