Closed loop cooling and salt water >

Closed loop cooling and salt water

Notices

Closed loop cooling and salt water

Old 07-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Swap for an aluminum trailer. Problem solved.

Don't let all the panic pushers on this website scare you off salt water. Every boat we have ever owned has been used exclusively in salt water and we don't have to do full restorations every month like some on here would have you believe.

My boat, cars, and other toys all spend their life within a few feet of salt water and I don't have any rusted valves. There is more to that story than being told.
seaford va?? when your chit in in the salt 24/7 and your sun is shining 80% of the time and your temps are above 36*F come and start a argument until then BACK OFF....Dont know the true story myself but they were seized,,weather the boat had high waves splash the back of the boat or what ever happened they were seized from salt water wash,,hell when i brought my boat back up from Florida and the boat sat for a month and the port motor was rebuilt it seized from the salt water ,,only takes a little bit of salt and heat and the salt starts sweating and it multiply and before you know it everything is all rusty...even after winter in my shop from the salt they use on the streets some of my equipment gets rusty from the salt so dont tell me its no big deal when it is.....

Last edited by FIXX; 07-05-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
seaford va?? when your chit in in the salt 24/7 and your sun is shining 80% of the time and your temps are above 36*F come and start a argument until then BACK OFF....Dont know the true story myself but they were seized,,weather the boat had high waves splash the back of the boat or what ever happened they were seized from salt water wash,,hell when i brought my boat back up from Florida and the boat sat for a month and the port motor was rebuilt it seized from the salt water ,,only takes a little bit of salt and heat and the salt starts sweating and it multiply and before you know it everything is all rusty...even after winter in my shop from the salt they use on the streets some of my equipment gets rusty from the salt so dont tell me its no big deal when it is.....
Wow....there is a decaf on the market that tastes just as good as the real thing....
Old 07-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I better go rush out and get my trailer and get my boat out of the nasty salt water and run it back up North so it won't RUST.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 314joey
I better go rush out and get my trailer and get my boat out of the nasty salt water and run it back up North so it won't RUST.
ya! you both do that and tell me how it works for you! next smart azz!
Old 07-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Most people that bad mouth salt usually for whatever reason can't live or boat down in Florida, so if you can't enjoy it, BASH it, smart azz done, have a good day.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 314joey
Most people that bad mouth salt usually for whatever reason can't live or boat down in Florida, so if you can't enjoy it, BASH it, smart azz done, have a good day.
+1
Old 07-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

I used my boat in Georgia for 3 years (fresh water) then came to South Florida. Salt requires slightly more maintenance and preservation. But, if you occasionally treat metal and maintain your engines you are OK. I stack my boat 60 feet from the intracoastal and run every 2-3 weeks... Never flush, however the guys spray my boat down. I have close cooled 496's and the only thing that happened once is the salt coagulated in one of my exhaust runners and I flushed it out. I also didnt use my boat for 7-8 months while stacked after my son was born. After that long period, I called, put the boat in, stated it and drove off. Ran the hell out of it.

The only thing I dont like is that it dulls the finish of my out drives. That cleans up OK but not like in fresh water. I also spray the engines every few months with the aerospace water inhibitor stuff.

Saltwater eats my XR gears though... It seems to weaken them. (Thats a joke)
Old 07-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 775 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
God damn big time - I wasn't calling you a liar, just saying there was more to the story. Relax.

That being said you should get a map - it gets warm here and the Atlantic Ocean is rather salty. If people leave boats in all the time than certainly that will take its toll but responsible salt water use is no issue.
Attached Thumbnails Closed loop cooling and salt water-image.jpg   Closed loop cooling and salt water-image.jpg  
Old 07-06-2013, 09:23 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd never boat in salt water. Chit is like acid! I put the boat in once and it dissolved.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 07-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by BillR
I'd never boat in salt water. Chit is like acid! I put the boat in once and it dissolved.
Got GPS coordinates for that spot? I have a few things that need a good bath!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.