Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Add mechanical fuel pressure gauge to engine? >

Add mechanical fuel pressure gauge to engine?

Notices

Add mechanical fuel pressure gauge to engine?

Old 07-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add mechanical fuel pressure gauge to engine?

Does anybody do this? I am wondering if my engine is starving for fuel and not quite sure what my pressure is... I am still using the stock fuel pump from my 350 I had and now I have my 450hp 406sbc using it the same pump from 89'. Just looking for a little help. Also... should I go for a liquid gauge too?

Thanks Fellas!
Old 07-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed a electric fuel pressure gauge on my dash with a new fuel pressure sending unit on the fuel line so I can keep and eye on fuel pressure while at speed along with at idle. I was going to put one on the motor, but I've had the gauges break many times (on bikes) due to vibrations and leaking fuel in the bilge is the last thing I want. Along with that you could only watch pressure while at idle unless you want to ride with your hatch up and someone watching the gauge.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm currently adding a mechanical 100 psi gauge on my motor to verify the dash electric gauge as I have had erratic pressure lately, its a great idea except gauges don't last forever in a engine compt, even liquid filled so I ordered a spare one when I ordered mine!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had one break off and spew fuel in the bilge. Not fun! Luckily I keep a bag of different size pipe plugs in my tool kit.

I like the idea of the fuel pressure transducer on the rail at the carb as the critical time to watch fuel pressure is when pushing the sticks.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Registered

So would you say a liquid one is best to get or air? Is there one you recommend? I was looking at the holley ones... Thanks for the comments!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I use an electric sender on my fuel log. With that said, I use a mechanical for oil. Not willing to have fuel spraying around....but I can deal with an oil leak. Pinch the line and clean up the garbage.....but not so with fuel....

Old 07-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Plus......

I only need. To maintain 6psi. If you are FI, think about 35/45 psi spraying around.....
Old 07-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going to get a mechanical gauge then I would defiantly go with the fluid filled as the needle won't break off as fast.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Registered

Liquid it is then! Just got back from the lake now I see that there is oil in the bilge! Not much really but still... Another issue I suppose. So I checked all over the engine and couldnt find a leak anywhere... you name it I looked. Oil level looked just fine but then again there wasnt much oil in the bilge.