Notices

Looking for boat options

Old 07-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for boat options

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right section for this, I figured this is the best place to get the most comments from. I am in the Army stationed in upstate New York and have 18 1/2 years in and I am deploying for the 7th time at the end of October. I am looking at getting a boat in the next couple years. I have 2 kids (11 yo Son and 8 yo Daughter) and we all love the water. The wife and I are scuba certified and my son will be certified this fall. We are looking for something we can spend the weekend on that can sleep 4. I would like something I can take them out on the river in upstate NY or the inner coastal ways and outer banks of North Carolina when I move back there. When I retire in a couple years we will be moving back to the Bay Area in California and the boat will be used in the San Francisco Bay and off shore. So we will need something that can handle 2-4 foot chop. Also something that we can also take friends out on and go swimming, fishing (No deep sea fishing) and scuba diving off of. I would also like something has a top speed around 50 mph-60 mph as well. The boat will have to be something that I can tow to and from the water occasionally.

At the moment we are leaning towards the Formula 370 SS or the Fountain 38 Express Cruiser or the Fountain 38 Sportfish Cruiser. We are looking for I/Os only.

Any help would be great for a good all around boat.

Danny

Last edited by EMSDiver; 07-22-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I live up by you and was in the army. I have a fountain, but that probably wouldnt suit your needs. One thing you have to look at is what you need, want, and your budget. The two boats you just mentioned are both going to have 6 zeroes behind a number, will have to be kept at a marina, and if you want it towed you will probably have to it professionally done as the fountain weighs about 14 grand dry, add 3-4 grand for the trailer and liquids your going to need a F450 tow it plus its a wide beam, which I dont know if you have to have something special to tow those. All things to think about, plus 60mph on both of those boats might be tough, 45-50 is probably closer. Keep in mind the fuel tanks are 300 gallons so your talking a grand to fill up. Not trying to talk you out of these things, I just dont know where your bank accounts are or your boat knowledge. Everybody always has bigger eyes when it comes to boats until they start looking at everything.

But for what you want to do, any 26-30ft cabin cruiser would fit the bill and there plenty around. I think you need to give us your budget
Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Registered

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/3896825555.html

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/bod/3930845443.html

Heres a few I found. Formula SS are also made in 26 and 28. and lower 30' length. Any Sun sport since they are heavy and any cabin cruiser close to 30 ft is probably going to require a 3/4 or better to tow them.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Registered
VIP Member

We are at least 2 years from buying and looking between $80k-$90K for the boat. We are not afraid to get a 2002 or newer and will have a 2011 or newer Dodge 3500 dually when I get back from deployment. We would like more of a sport cruiser then a Bayliner type cabin cruiser. 45-50 mph top speed is fine with us, we were looking at the Formula's and Fountain's because of how well the construction is. We are kicking around the idea about getting a Formula 330SS, if Fountain maid one we would be looking at them also.

I am in Alex Bay every weekend diving and riding on friends boats but they are all speed boats and I know those type boats will not suit our needs.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

This is probably close, except for speed.

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/3934317128.html

Except now does not fit your needs, as we posted at same time. lol
Old 07-22-2013, 01:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Have you been on this site?

http://formulaboatsforum.com/forumtest/index.php
Old 07-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Registered
VIP Member

97FASTech I am a member there as well. That is why we are also looking at the 330/350 SS and the 370 SS.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Old 07-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I think the hardest part is going to find a boat that can sleep 4 comfortably. I looked at the Rinker's and Bayliner's that were posted and they only sleep 2 in the V birth according to the specs sheet.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by EMSDiver
We are at least 2 years from buying and looking between $80k-$90K for the boat. We are not afraid to get a 2002 or newer and will have a 2011 or newer Dodge 3500 dually when I get back from deployment. We would like more of a sport cruiser then a Bayliner type cabin cruiser. 45-50 mph top speed is fine with us, we were looking at the Formula's and Fountain's because of how well the construction is. We are kicking around the idea about getting a Formula 330SS, if Fountain maid one we would be looking at them also.

I am in Alex Bay every weekend diving and riding on friends boats but they are all speed boats and I know those type boats will not suit our needs.
good luck with purchase. I bought my diesel before I bought my fountain too. Be sure to check your weights as that dually your sitting around 17k as a towing capacity and that fountain 38 is going to be 17k before you put 2000lbs of fuel in it, dive gear, load up the truck, etc. Might have to go F450 or Chevy 4500.

Personally I think for what your looking the 33 foot range is going to be a lot better. Dont see a lot of 40fter cruisers being hauled and when they are its on semi. Check out what Sea Ray has, they have some sporting cruisers out there as well.

Also might be a good idea to get some insurance quotes on some models as well, to see where you sit on that. Lot of guys get boats on here and really pull there hair out trying to get insurance after they buy the boat.

Buying the boat is the easy part, its everything else lol. Fuel in those big boats are 1200 bucks to fuel up, dock space for the summer is probably 2-3 grand, insurance probably at least 1000, if not more, can you store a boat on your property, if not inside storage probably a grand or more for the winter. If you cant tow the thing your going to pay 2 bucks a mile to haul it. Then you have to outfit the boat if doesnt come with anchors, jackets, etc. another grand for that. Annual maint and fluid change on two engines probably 2-300 bucks. Then add on breaking stuff.

From it sounds like you will always be in bigger water, but you get above 30 and closer to 40 ft, its going to keep you out of a lot areas and finding ramps might be a challenege.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.