Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Reggie Fountain 'King of Offshore' Documentary Coming this Fall >

Reggie Fountain 'King of Offshore' Documentary Coming this Fall

Notices

Reggie Fountain 'King of Offshore' Documentary Coming this Fall

Old 08-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I raced for Team Fountain from 2001- 2006 and I never met a man with more passion for building boats and building the BEST Offshore boats ever built. Reggie made millions building boats and spent twice that in racing and testing his hulls to make them even better. He was hands on with every single race boat that was part of the team esch and every race. He flew every race and talked each and everyone of us though the race, from start to finish. He never cheaped out on anything he has ever done in life he only knows one way the right way. He is a true friend and would do anything to help anyone no matter what boat you have.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aronow and Fountain are both well respected people but just in two different eras. Possibly Reggie could be looked upon as "Picking UP' where Don left off. We should honor Reggie while he is still around and look to see who will carry the ball into the next era. By the way, I have never owned a boat made by either of these great individuals..................
Old 08-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will def be checking this out. Reggie def contributed a bunch to the entire sport of this game. Always gota be some one hating or have to totally **** stick a thread. It's is a well deserved Doc..

John jr
Old 08-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
Comanche3Six,

I am stunned that you have such a dislike for Mr. Fountain.
Smarty
Reggie Fountain "The King of Offshore"? No, that will always be Don Aronow.
Ed
Old 08-20-2013, 12:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Smarty
Reggie Fountain "The King of Offshore"? No, that will always be Don Aronow.
Ed
Ed,

This why I love this site, we can disagree, but so what if our opinion differs, it is just this type of banter that gets me through the day and one of the reasons I love OSO, the banter, opinion on who is the fastest, who makes the best boat, how will be the fastest at LOTO, ect. it all makes for entertaining reading on a otherwise mild Tuesday for me. I encourage you to never hold back, speak your mind, and the replies will follow as they may from who ever on this board, nothing but entertainment! We all have opinions.

Stephen "Smarty" Jones

PS...When does the documentary hit the TV in the fall? I like the trailer especially what Bill Seebold had to say, and for Bill Seebold, who I thought was greatest tunnel boat driver ever, IMHO, that is a something of a wow statement he says a about Reggie, strong stuff. I look forward to the documentary.

Last edited by Smarty; 08-20-2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
Ed,

This why I love this site, we can disagree, but so what if our opinion differs, it is just this type of banter that gets me through the day and one of the reasons I love OSO, the banter, opinion on who is the fastest, who makes the best boat, how will be the fastest at LOTO, ect. it all makes for entertaining reading on a otherwise mild Tuesday for me. I encourage you to never hold back, speak your mind, and the replies will follow as they may from who ever on this board, nothing but entertainment! We all have opinions.

Stephen
Agreed 100%
Old 08-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

[QUOTE=Xtremeracing;3979920 Reggie made millions building boats and spent twice that in racing and testing his hulls to make them even better. [/QUOTE]

I've always admired his desire to win but his business plan had to contribute towards his removal from Fountain. It's to bad boating couldn't have race teams with NASCAR type funding. Reggie would fit well as a team manager vs. company owner.
ed
Old 08-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Don was very intelligent and surrounded himself with the best people. He was also a shrewd businessman which made him very successful. But, some of his decisions were obviously questionable. But it cannot be denied that he made a huge contribution to the sport.

When I think of Reggie I think of more of a "hands-on" contribution for a LONG time. Obviously, his business skills weren't as sharp.

In my opinion, they both made substantial contributions in their own way. Regardless of your opinion, to get your panties in a wad over a thread stating there will be a video coming out calling Reggie the "King of Offshore" is ridiculous.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:27 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
I am almost certain if Aronow wasn't murdered you would be making a different statement.
Don had pretty much retired from racing and building race boats long before he was murdered so his career was probably not "shortened" by the tragedy.

I knew Don and know Reggie and am not a blind fanatic regarding either. But give the devil his due...Reggie hung in there and did win at any and all costs... so he does deserve respect in that regard. Personally I wouldn't use the term "King" since so much of any Offshore success story rests on the technology developed by an even more competitive Icon, Carl Kiekhaefer, (and his son Fred). But Reggie is and was the most prolific winner (by boat brand) in the sport's history. On the other hand, Peter Hledin had a lot to do with developing Fountain's race boat construction technology and has been successfully building winning boats over a longer time span. Peter is a much more humble guy and shies away from aggressive self promotion (yes you can read between the lines here.)

Regarding Reggie's Tunnel boat career, he was an outstanding driver, almost as good as the other two (overly humble) guys in the video. One of them, Bill Seebold, has won over 1000 races as compared to Reggie's 100+.and he (along with a fellow named Bill Sirois) deserve the title of (World's greatest Boat Racer...or maybe even "King").. The other, Earl Benz, is the greatest natural boat racing talent I ever saw, bar none, but had a relatively short career because he switched to family and building boat companies at a very young age comparatively.

At the very least Reggie is in some fine company and respected, if not loved, by most folks I know. Bear in mind that TV producers don't get rich by telling stories about simple folks who come in 3rd, and, as with all things Fountain, exaggeration is aq big part of the game..

I hope the show turns out well.....

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 08-20-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Don had pretty much retired from racing and building race boats long before he was murdered so his career was probably not "shortened" by the tragedy.

I knew Don and know Reggie and am not a blind fanatic regarding either. But give the devil his due...Reggie hung in there and did win at any and all costs... so he does deserve respect in that regard. Personally I wouldn't use the term "King" since so much of any Offshore success story rests on the technology developed by an even more competitive Icon, Carl Kiekhaefer, (and his son Fred). But Reggie is and was the most prolific winner (by boat brand) in the sport's history. On the other hand, Peter Hledin had a lot to do with developing Fountain's race boat construction technology and has been successfully building winning boats over a longer time span. Peter is a much more humble guy and shies away from aggressive self promotion (yes you can read between the lines here.)

Regarding Reggie's Tunnel boat career, he was an outstanding driver, almost as good as the other two (overly humble) guys in the video. One of them, Bill Seebold, has won over 1000 races as compared to Reggie's 100+.and deserves the title of (World's greatest Boat Racer...or maybe even "King").. The other, Earl Benz, is the greatest natural boat racing talent I ever saw, bar none, but had a relatively short career because he switched to family and building boat companies at a very young age comparatively.

At the very least Reggie is in some fine company and respected, if not loved, by most folks I know. Bear in mind that TV producers don't get rich by telling stories about simple folks who come in 3rd, and, as with all things Fountain exaggeration is all part of the game..

I hope the show turns out well.....

T2x
Nailed it again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.