Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
All things equal....what are you taking into the "rough". >

All things equal....what are you taking into the "rough".

Notices

All things equal....what are you taking into the "rough".

Old 08-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was answering a different question on the same thread Jr. Imagine that...
Old 08-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No reason
Old 08-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Given the choices, the 32AT. Yes, I've been in all of them.

The 33PP will ride better than the 32AT. It ought too! It's a lot bigger boat.

And I'd take a 32AT or a 33AT in the rough equally. Both extremely capable but different rides for sure.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:33 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Both mine and my buddies AT run B1's. Same stock 30p Bravos. He has a notch and I don't. I have nothing to gain or lose, mine is not for sale and I am not making a dime off whatever the OP buys. Fact: the PP runs better. It has a smoother reentry and flies straighter. The bow doesn't hunt around like the AT. To be honest both could use a little weight in the bow but the AT will still pop a little more than the PP. Anybody that knows boats and have been on both will agree including my friend with the AT. I am not nor have I ever bad mouthed AT, I am just going by experience. I have a few dozen hours in the AT and a few hundred in the PP. If given the choice I would look hard at the PP over the AT just for handling. The AT has a bigger cockpit and a helm that is perfectly suited to my size. Yes better than the PP. Now throw in the 33 AT and you will get mixed reviews. I personally like the look and lines of the 32 much better. But the 33 has a step so you have an instant speed advantage. The downfall is a large single step like some other boats. In relatively clean water it will slap and be annoying to some. Just last year I have another buddy that reluctantly said the PP rides better than his 33 stepped AT but not as fast..

I have not been in a 32 Hustler but know peope that have. It is a fast hull! But all things equel the AT is a nicer, better boat.
Very good info based on real experience.. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
The downfall is a large single step like some other boats. In relatively clean water it will slap and be annoying to some.
"slap"...
I've never heard the term before in boating. Can you expand?
Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
"slap"...
I've never heard the term before in boating. Can you expand?
I think he's talking about porpoising, the 33 did it pretty bad, not violent but more of a slow bobbing of the nose. If you watch some AT videos on you tube you can notice if a lot.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
The 33PP will ride better than the 32AT. It ought too! It's a lot bigger boat..
Oh, contraire. The 32 AT is 31'6" and the 33 PP is 32'. Somewhere I have a picture where we plum-bobbed one we were painting. If one rode different then the other it would be the man behind the wheel since both hulls are just about the same, good, ol' school technology.

As far as the Hustler, I've never measured or examined one but can't believe it is remarkably different either.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Oh, contraire. The 32 AT is 31'6" and the 33 PP is 32'. Somewhere I have a picture where we plum-bobbed one we were painting. If one rode different then the other it would be the man behind the wheel since both hulls are just about the same, good, ol' school technology.

As far as the Hustler, I've never measured or examined one but can't believe it is remarkably different either.
Can't argue with the tape measure, but what about the water line? With the additional 6" and what visually appears as a more of a steeper angle of the front of the bow up to the nose, I suspect the water line/wetted surface might be closer to a foot. While the 33PP does not have as much freeboard as the 32AT, Danny still built them solid (heavy) so I bet the weights are near identical.

It's a shame one can't order a new one of either. Both were fantastic boats.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking freeboard it depends on what year Powerplay as I believe sometime in the early 90s Powerplay added like 6 inches of freeboard to the hull.
Please correct me if i'm wrong..
Old 08-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat Deck Russ
Talking freeboard it depends on what year Powerplay as I believe sometime in the early 90s Powerplay added like 6 inches of freeboard to the hull.
Please correct me if i'm wrong..
4 3/4"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.