Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
All things equal....what are you taking into the "rough". >

All things equal....what are you taking into the "rough".

Notices

All things equal....what are you taking into the "rough".

Old 08-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
"slap"...
I've never heard the term before in boating. Can you expand?
Water slapping the hull just after the step.

AT. 31'6"

PP. 32'6"
Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Water slapping the hull just after the step.
I can see how that bltch-slap sound would be annoying to other boats as you are passing them. Probably not prominent in the cockpit though.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

I think the AT probably has the most freeboard of about any boat in the same class.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These discussions always amaze me. I have boated in my Dad's 1950's 14 foot boat, pretty much flat bottom (not long after the time of the dinosaurs).

Then, I bought my first rig, an 18' deep V, now have a 30'6" deep V (some would claim it is no longer than 22', if you listen to some of the crap spouted on this site). The ride got better the longer the boat was, a no brainer.

My $.02, I would rather have a MUCH Older LONG Boat than a almost brand new short one. Talking mid 80's as compared to 2010 or newer. I can't swing it but a 80 foot Nor-tech is going to give a nice ride in conditions that would put shorter boats on the trailer, or worse yet, on the bottom.

You didn't ask for this but it is the truth. Folks that claim short boats just get up on top and the ride is smoother, don't mind getting beat to death by the sharp hammer like jolts as they hit one wave crest after another. Had friends with 80 mph bass boats try and claim they ride smooth, BS no F'n way. If the water is dead flat, perhaps so.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personal case in point,

We are getting a 20' beach boat with 19 degree vee and 150 OB. During our Sea-Trial, the dealer's tech that HAD to ride with us nearly freaked out because I was approaching a boat wake at about 30 mph, him yelling for me to slow down because of the wake. I hadn't given it much though because in my big boat I would have just kept going, the wake would not have caused more than a minor bump, bump. With this new 20', even as I slowed significantly it really bounced around alot, not pleasant. Points indicated above proven.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 88Fount33
These discussions always amaze me. I have boated in my Dad's 1950's 14 foot boat, pretty much flat bottom (not long after the time of the dinosaurs).

Then, I bought my first rig, an 18' deep V, now have a 30'6" deep V (some would claim it is no longer than 22', if you listen to some of the crap spouted on this site). The ride got better the longer the boat was, a no brainer.

My $.02, I would rather have a MUCH Older LONG Boat than a almost brand new short one. Talking mid 80's as compared to 2010 or newer. I can't swing it but a 80 foot Nor-tech is going to give a nice ride in conditions that would put shorter boats on the trailer, or worse yet, on the bottom.

You didn't ask for this but it is the truth. Folks that claim short boats just get up on top and the ride is smoother, don't mind getting beat to death by the sharp hammer like jolts as they hit one wave crest after another. Had friends with 80 mph bass boats try and claim they ride smooth, BS no F'n way. If the water is dead flat, perhaps so.
While I appricate your opinion. That is just nothing that interest me.

Also bigger is not happening either. I have said it before and I will say it again. I am keeping my current truck and If came to replace truck to go bigger boat then it's time to shop smaller boats. This is something I am dead set on.

Also I think a lot of what your saying is older talk. I am 31...I want nothing to do with an 80's powerboat. I love the look but I will admire them in pictures and memories. 30'-35' boat with twins is more than enough for me at this point in my life.

I have a good idea of what I want coming from my current 23'CC with a johnson 150 on it. A PP, A/T, or Hustler are all fitting my idea.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was me, I would sea trial each one then make a decision.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I would personally pick the AT over the Hustler. Also a big fan of the PP but finding one that doesn't look like a 5th grader painted it with crayons is tough!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I happen to like the factory paint schemes. To me they dont get old....unlike some of the pastel schemes I have seen on some boats.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,824 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Can't argue with the tape measure, but what about the water line? With the additional 6" and what visually appears as a more of a steeper angle of the front of the bow up to the nose, I suspect the water line/wetted surface might be closer to a foot. While the 33PP does not have as much freeboard as the 32AT, Danny still built them solid (heavy) so I bet the weights are near identical.

It's a shame one can't order a new one of either. Both were fantastic boats.
Here is pic of my 32AT on the trailer just like 33PP in the pic and the bow entry angle looks nearly identical.
Attached Thumbnails All things equal....what are you taking into the "rough".-at1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.