Notices

Merc 496 MAGS

Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Merc 496 MAGS

Other than being on the low side of power what if any issues is there with these? How many hours are they good for if well taken care of?

I know they are somewhat gas sippers in a sense too which is always a plus but not anything I was looking for. Just an added bonus.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

I have almost 400 hours on mine with zero issues. The only thing I've done to it was replace the IAC valve a couple weeks ago because it sounded to me like it was cycling too much at idle. These motors make a ton of torque so they are good for heavier boats.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I have almost 400 hours on mine with zero issues. The only thing I've done to it was replace the IAC valve a couple weeks ago because it sounded to me like it was cycling too much at idle. These motors make a ton of torque so they are good for heavier boats.
Ya the boat is question is a heavier boat.

I wouldn't be the fastest in the water but it claims of upper 60's and that is fine for us. Especially being our first offshore boat. The best part is it's LOADED with extra's and we ar the type to take a few friends out and hit the island for fun so it would be nice to have all that on board.

Just didn't know a whole lot about that power plant and it's the first boat I looked at that had them. Good to hear they are soild which is really what I am wanting more than anything.

I heard after 4000 rpm they can be a bit weak and take a while to get back up to top speed in compairision to say a 500 or 525 but that again is ok with us. Most use will be at cruising speeds.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Yes, they just don't have the camshaft to pull really hard over 4K RPM. The closed cooling will be a plus since you boat in salt water.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a 496 in my Velocity and it has enuff power to run it to 74 MPH on the GPS. I believe we just turned around 450 hours on ours. Still running stong. I'd say the biggest turn off is it is an ugly motor to look at (as all merc black motors are).
Old 09-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Yeah...not much to look at, however it's a horse and starts every time. You'll be on the water more than many others.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
Yeah...not much to look at, however it's a horse and starts every time. You'll be on the water more than many others.

This is my overall goal. It's always nice to be up front but I will take finishing every time over that.

Ya I agree they are blah at best to see. I think the hatch with stay closed a bit lol.

Is there a set of stainless manifolds for them that are worth the money? Or are they better left alone?

Last edited by Nate5.0; 09-10-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I think there are some gains to be had, maybe somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but it won't propel you into the realm of a blue motor or similar. When I had mine, I just left it alone, a couple of mph vs the cost wasn't worth it to me. I guess I always had the opinion that if I wanted a decent increase in speed I'd just purchase a purpose built motor.

I had the 496 for 3 years and never stayed off the water for motor reasons.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
I think there are some gains to be had, maybe somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but it won't propel you into the realm of a blue motor or similar. When I had mine, I just left it alone, a couple of mph vs the cost wasn't worth it to me. I guess I always had the opinion that if I wanted a decent increase in speed I'd just purchase a purpose built motor.

I had the 496 for 3 years and never stayed off the water for motor reasons.
It would be to break that mental 70mph mark and add some sound as we don't have a noise law so louder the better lol.

But if it was a heafty cost I would leave it as is.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure about the MAGS, but some of the HO's have valve train problems. I had one motor with only 210 hours and it broke a rocker arm and bent some push rods.The valve springs were weak. These motors were never run hard either,almost all of the hours were under 3000 RPM's.I have also put over 600 hours with some pretty hard running in my previous boat with no problems. The engine ran the same as when it was new when I sold it..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.