Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Poker Run Format - should it be changed? >

Poker Run Format - should it be changed?

Notices

Poker Run Format - should it be changed?

Old 09-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Poker runs shouldn't be treated like races. If you wanna race get on a race circuit. Seems to me most poker runs in the boating works have lost the true spirit of a poker run. Go to a motorcycle poker run and check that out. Always a charity cause and people cruising for the sake of cruising.

I'm all for speed and going fast but there is a time and place for everything and I believe boats are so much faster now that poker runs present a special challenge in a lot of traffic in a small area.
Couldn't have said it any better.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been on on poker runs where theres a fast pace boat you dont pass him 100mph even 125 impresses most people watching, its funner to run as a safe group then to worry about blowing over or running in to someone. If it narrows down in a turn or curve there should be a spotter or someone to let everyone know ahead that there is no one parked in the middle of traffic.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

We were at the Lake Cumberland PR for the first time this year. The tragedy was heart wrenching to come up on. The "rule book" that was handed out had course information, rules for the PR, suggested contacts, etc. Very well thought out but the simplest of rules were not enforced. The rule book stated that all participants were to wear PFDs during the PR, if no compliance they will not be given cards at the stops AND will be disqualified from the event. We observed many participants not wearing PFDs and receiving their cards anyways, unfortunately this was after the tragedy. PFDs do not curb the speeds but safety and speed need to go hand in hand. Suggestion: It seems that once there is a card stop the field single files in and single files out, so why not hand out the first card at the start single file and away you go to the next stop? The flag drop starts are not in the best interest of a "non-race" event, that is if we want to be able to participate in any PRs in the future.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the same as this year at Desert Storm......different outcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brBTPnREiKA
Old 09-09-2013, 01:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Control the speed. 10 years ago there wasn't production boats/engines (Merc 1350) going 150+
More problems are going to happen because more boats are being made that have incredible top speeds.

Set a speed limit. Maybe a percentage of the boats top speed. WOT is when the problems happen.

Last edited by BraceYourself; 09-09-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I think it's overall much safer for the most of the poker runners fastest first. My first runs at Cumberland were the fastest last. It made me squirm as then I was in a 25 foot v. I would have to watch in the front and in the back. Boats coming from the back at double your speed was really really bad. Made my wife very uncomfortable and me sweat a lot more as the driver. I think speed runs on a closed course like Loto are the answer at Cumberland. A random start poker run coupled with the speed runs will satisfy the spectators and allow for safer competition.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
I think it's overall much safer for the most of the poker runners fastest first. My first runs at Cumberland were the fastest last. It made me squirm as then I was in a 25 foot v. I would have to watch in the front and in the back. Boats coming from the back at double your speed was really really bad. Made my wife very uncomfortable and me sweat a lot more as the driver. I think speed runs on a closed course like Loto are the answer at Cumberland. A random start poker run coupled with the speed runs will satisfy the spectators and allow for safer competition.
I think the key here is keeping this fun and a show of power and beauty is what guys like me are wanting to see... at 160mph ....all you are is a blur... I prefer to shake your hand and introduce my self and ogle & dream at your fiberglass rocket... Please let us learn from this is all I got to say...
Old 09-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

I went to a Poker Run in 2002 that you lined up by your numbers and idled past a houseboat every 30-60 seconds. They handed you a card and a map of stops that you could hit in ANY order. It seemed weird then but makes sense now.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:13 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

It is inevitable that PR’s which are really supposed to be fun runs and not races to the finish will eventually be controlled by the authorities because we have not been able to put in our own safety (speed) controls.

I agree with SkiDoc and my wife will not go on a PR with me as she/we had the chit scared out of us with other boats passing to close and out of control. That’s not what I call fun when you’re sweating out a ride and in fear of others.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I was at the run and participated in it this and several years in the past. It was a shock to come around that bend and see the boat sitting there it brought my girlfriend and sister in law to tears when we were told that atleast one of the men didn't make it. And as we were heading back just idling in shock we saw them on the shore performing cpr on one of the men. I have only done the Cincinnati poker run once which that year we had to help a friend after he put his 32 skater on its side and was ejected from the boat from a cruiser wake, and I have done the Lake Cumberland run several times. So I do not know how any other runs are done across the country. I truly think things definitely need to change at lake Cumberland. I read a report before the run that it attracts 30,000 people to the lake for that weekend, more than 4th of July labor day or memorial day.

Now this year we sorta cheated and went out to watch the fast guys and then jump in the pack when our group came around, I felt we were at a safe distance away but I could not tell you how many people were out too far trying to get a front row seat or the idiots on sea doo's cutting across the water while the run was going on. One boat had to turn out of the way of to avoid hitting a sea doo .

Its only a matter of time before a crash happens near the spectators and a whole group of people gets killed.

Could they stagger the starts 20 minutes apart as opposed to 5 minutes?

Could they tell the fast guys to run 2 or 3 at a time versus 6 or 7 ?

Could you announce the start time to the public yet delay the start to get people out of the way?
I am in no way an expert on any of this and don't intend to offend anyone with my opinion I am just a guy who has and old boat who likes to go look at the newest fastest boats that come to our home lake and want to see every one come back to the dock safe at the end of the run and have a good time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.