Like Tree0Likes

40 Hustler/37 Outerlimits

Old 09-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2012 Hustler 39 Rockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderusone View Post
Handling is awesome at 120+. I have done no hull mods to the boat. I finally got the props at least headed in the right direction. I was running to much rake in the beginning. I just have an old set of cast Merc 5 blade wheels. Nothing fancy....no CNC or Herring. The boat still has more speed in it to be dialed in. I don't want to comment on how fast I have been. But I think I can come closer to what the boat will do at the shootout next year now that I know how everything works.
Heard a rumor that Eddie at Young Performance might be working on a 39 Rocket that Joe at Hustler might be building next year. Heard it might be at the shootout too. I know that 39 skater will be there, might be a little crowded next year!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Registered

My Boats: Outerlimits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean streak View Post
Heard a rumor that Eddie at Young Performance might be working on a 39 Rocket that Joe at Hustler might be building next year. Heard it might be at the shootout too. I know that 39 skater will be there, might be a little crowded next year!
Just an observation but yours?? I spent alot of time with Joe going over the Rockit and it is a very nice boat!!
Old 09-21-2010, 12:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: Previous 37 OL Current 42 Outerlimits

Quote:

Come one Brother....let me enjoy it one more year before I have to go to third place. I hope you do.....that will be bad azz to see one with some real power in it. Im not buying you any more custom made prop nut covers as a boat warming present since you wont use them. I gotta stop the boat madness for a couple of weeks to get the 572 put in the burb and get it finished so I can run that mopar when I catch you at a redlight. All you are gonna see is 38" Mickey Thompsons throwing tractor cleats at your front windshield.
Attached Thumbnails
40 Hustler/37 Outerlimits-dsc03872-large-.jpg   40 Hustler/37 Outerlimits-img00135-20100609-2104-large-.jpg   40 Hustler/37 Outerlimits-dsc03827-large-.jpg  

40 Hustler/37 Outerlimits-dsc03830-large-.jpg  
Old 09-21-2010, 12:27 AM
Registered

Quote:
Handling is awesome at 120+. I have done no hull mods to the boat. I finally got the props at least headed in the right direction. I was running to much rake in the beginning. I just have an old set of cast Merc 5 blade wheels. Nothing fancy....no CNC or Herring. The boat still has more speed in it to be dialed in. I don't want to comment on how fast I have been. But I think I can come closer to what the boat will do at the shootout next year now that I know how everything works.
What pitch and size props do you run? I have a single step 37 with Teague 800's and it runs 110. I run 5 blade cast merc, 17.5 x 34 at 5900. If you are the same guy, someone at Teague said your boat runs well past 120. Do you have to drag a little tab to keep it settled at those speeds?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:38 AM
Registered

Quote:
Heard a rumor that Eddie at Young Performance might be working on a 39 Rocket that Joe at Hustler might be building next year.
When are we starting. I can start tomorrow.....can you???
Old 09-21-2010, 12:57 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37ol View Post
What pitch and size props do you run? I have a single step 37 with Teague 800's and it runs 110. I run 5 blade cast merc, 17.5 x 34 at 5900. If you are the same guy, someone at Teague said your boat runs well past 120. Do you have to drag a little tab to keep it settled at those speeds?
Yes, I still have to drag a little tab. I was running 120 at end bouys all 4 runs at the shootout. I picked up 3mph between the gun and the end bouys every run. I was also doing a standing start....not a rollin start on Saturday. I had a full tank of fuel on Sunday so I was driving it more aggressively. On my 4th run on Sunday, I lifted the tab at aroud 110 and laid into it. That was the only run out of 4 that I had a rolling start going 35 through the start with the props hooked up. When I lifted the tabs it got so out of shape that I pulled the throttles all the way back to the stops twice and I still ran a 117 at the gun and 120 at the bouys. They were hitting us with Radar 400' before the end bouys. I was trying to tie Eddie and I over did it. I shoulld have just left the tabs alone. If you watch the video of my first 3 runs ...it was like it was on train trackis. The 4th run got a little wild.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37ol View Post
If you are running a soilid 110mph in the heat with 3/4 tank of fuel, a coulple of people and all your gear on board with 800hp. I would say you are about as dialed in as it gets. All of the speeds that I am talking about are normal everday boating conditions in 90 to 100 degree heat....1/2to full tank...coolers...peeps...and enough chiit to stay out for two days. Anchors, spare parts..belts...fat towels....umbrella's etc etc. I am running 17" diameter 5 blade wheels though. I had some 17.5" 4 blades and those wanted to pick the azz up and it would porpoise. When I went to 17's and 15 degree rake....it stopped ALL of that. I ran some 18 degree herrings that were 16.5 diameter x 37 and I thought I was gonna loose it at 110 it was so out of control. They were smooth as silk and accelerated welll....but I never got the chance to get on the gas. If I am hitting the waves perpendicular.....you could hold a glass of tea at 120+ and not spill a drop with my current props.....the wind might blow it out though. I am still tuning on the engines to see what I can get out of them so I am not going to buy a $10K set of herrings just to end up changing them. Im pretty damn happy with how it runs now. I wish I could find a set of herrings in a 17x37 15 degree rake to really see what it would do before I bought them....but everything I have seen for sale or that my buds are running are not that big of diameter or the rake is 16 or 18 degrees.

95% of the time....me and my wife ride around at 40 to 50 mph and just enjoy boating like any other person on the lake. My setup is VERY dependable. I broke a tranny at Emerald coast year before last and other than that, I just put gas in it and change the oil. IT IS AN AWESOME BOAT!
Old 09-21-2010, 02:10 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, I still have to drag a little tab. I was running 120 at end bouys all 4 runs at the shootout. I picked up 3mph between the gun and the end bouys every run. I was also doing a standing start....not a rollin start on Saturday. I had a full tank of fuel on Sunday so I was driving it more aggressively. On my 4th run on Sunday, I lifted the tab at aroud 110 and laid into it. That was the only run out of 4 that I had a rolling start going 35 through the start with the props hooked up. When I lifted the tabs it got so out of shape that I pulled the throttles all the way back to the stops twice and I still ran a 117 at the gun and 120 at the bouys. They were hitting us with Radar 400' before the end bouys. I was trying to tie Eddie and I over did it. I shoulld have just left the tabs alone. If you watch the video of my first 3 runs ...it was like it was on train trackis. The 4th run got a little wild.
Getting bent out of shape in the 100'teens in a vee is not an enjoyable feeling.........

So what tuning are you doing on your motors? Pulley diameter tuning I take it?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain40icbm View Post
Just an observation but yours?? I spent alot of time with Joe going over the Rockit and it is a very nice boat!!
I agree that thing is awesome, been for a few rides with Joe. Sold me!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Registered

Quote:
Come one Brother....let me enjoy it one more year before I have to go to third place. I hope you do.....that will be bad azz to see one with some real power in it. Im not buying you any more custom made prop nut covers as a boat warming present since you wont use them. I gotta stop the boat madness for a couple of weeks to get the 572 put in the burb and get it finished so I can run that mopar when I catch you at a redlight. All you are gonna see is 38" Mickey Thompsons throwing tractor cleats at your front windshield.
Your boat takes a back seat to nobody, but that tractor cleat stuff.... well don't know bout that! That thing is quick.