Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Shop error causes catasrtophic engine failure. >

Shop error causes catasrtophic engine failure.

Notices

Shop error causes catasrtophic engine failure.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Enough 4 Play
You took the words right out of my mouth. He comes on here acting as if he is out of pocket on this deal but goes on to say that Foremost paid to provide a new engine. The insurance company now has the right of recovery against the shop that caused the damages. Insurance is not designed to cover mechanical breakdown of this type so you are right about Foremost possibly non-renewing coverage. Insurance should not be used as a maintenance policy for your repairs.
WTF are you talking about? Mechanical breakdown was directly caused by the shop that did the work. My policy through Foremost covers any damage that is not directly related to normal wear and tear. The reason for my post was asking if there was anyway to recover money from work that I paid a shop to do that they failed to do. This isn't some sort of bull **** insurance scam. Maybe I didn't do a very good job of explaining the situation.

Last edited by MCKILLOP; 10-02-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Farmers/Foremost are the best,,I have them for my car/home/boat..
Hit bottom 5-6 years ago and they paid for a new drive no questions asked..
Not the cheapest but like everything you get what you pay for..
Old 10-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MCKILLOP
WTF are you talking about? Mechanical breakdown was directly caused by the shop that did the work. My policy through Foremost covers any damage that is not directly related to normal wear and tear. The reason for my post was asking if there was anyway to recover money from work that I paid a shop to do that they failed to do. This isn't some sort of bull **** insurance scam. Maybe I didn't do a very good job of explaining the situation.
you still dont get it,.... take what you have and move on. you are more than lucky.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WTF are you talking about? . The reason for my post was asking if there was anyway to recover money from work that I paid a shop to do that they failed to do. T........ Maybe I didn't do a very good job of explaining the situation.
Guess I'm confused to. What money are you wanting extra? For the original motor work or did they do additional work non motor related?

Never would have thought ins would cover a mechanical breakdown like this, sounds more like an issue for lawyers to handle. Either way, good luck.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Guess I'm confused to. What money are you wanting extra? For the original motor work or did they do additional work non motor related?

Never would have thought ins would cover a mechanical breakdown like this, sounds more like an issue for lawyers to handle. Either way, good luck.

I was just wondering "IF" there was any way to recoup any of the money I spent on the top end work where the mistakes were made. I spent $6500 for the shop to do the top end work and some other work, but from what I am seeing they didn't do a lot of the work they claimed that they did. For example, they said they had installed completely remaned 088 heads, however the heads they sold me and installed were cracked and look worse than the heads that came off. Again, these were supposed to be completely rebuilt and "like new". Anyways, it sounds like I should just be happy with the fact that the ins company is footing the bill, which I am. I was more curious than anything.

Last edited by MCKILLOP; 10-02-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

in all my years working at a marina i have never seen an insurance company pay for faulty work done by a repair shop .you say your insurance company does ??. in an other thread you say they pay for anything other than normal wear and tear ?? if thats the case i say let the motors freeze this year and get new power .never happen !!!. i say be happy you got what you did and dont open a can of worms
Old 10-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by smokin' gun
in all my years working at a marina i have never seen an insurance company pay for faulty work done by a repair shop .you say your insurance company does ??. in an other thread you say they pay for anything other than normal wear and tear ?? if thats the case i say let the motors freeze this year and get new power .never happen !!!. i say be happy you got what you did and dont open a can of worms
Believe me, I am VERY happy with how everything was handled. I had no idea that this sort of thing would not be covered in most policies. Thanks for your input guys!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Registered

I owned an Insurance Agency longer than a lot of folks ,here,have been on this planet. I have heard of a couple BIG dollar yacht policies with that type of mechanical break down coverage but have never seen nor read one. Boat policies are either 'a named peril' policy.. (listed perils) or 'all risk' which has exclusions.of coverage listed. Never having sold a Farmers /Formost Policy...... I called a Claims Rep with Foremost. Her response was.... "unless it's a Policy that she has never seen issued with Foremost... there would not be any coverage". She could not speak for Farmers and she tried to connect me to a Farmer's claim Rep but there were none available. I'm by far not the sharpest pencil in the backpack but I really don't know how, if the facts were as presented here, that claim got paid.

For what it's worth, you should just get the boat fixed and live happily ever after.....

all.....IMHO

Last edited by mosi; 10-02-2013 at 08:53 PM.