Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Shop error causes catasrtophic engine failure. >

Shop error causes catasrtophic engine failure.

Notices

Shop error causes catasrtophic engine failure.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop error causes catasrtophic engine failure.

Long story short, I had a top end refresh done by a shop this summer only to lose the bottom end shortly after picking it up. The engine is now out of the boat and when we were pulling it apart we noticed that the wrong head gaskets were installed and the remaned heads that they sold me and installed were cracked!! This obviously caused the failure of the bottom end. My insurance company is going to pursue the shop for a new engine, however I was wondering if anyone knows what other course of action I might be able to take to recoup some of the money I lost while having the top end work done. I was changed for remaned heads which obviously were damaged before they were installed. The shop also charged me an absurd amount of hours for the work. My question is, what if anything I can do to go after the shop? Is there a particular type of lawyer I would want to speak with or is this a small claims court type thing?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:06 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Been there done it. There are so many variables its impossible to win this type of case. Other then sending a letter your insurance company won't go after the engine builder. They are usually just looking to stall or deny the payment they are going to have to make.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insurance does not cover mechanical breakdown or failure.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Bad news: You have to lawyer up and go after the shop for faulty workmanship, deprecation of value, lose of use, ect.

A fellow boater just got done with this when the shop didn't install risers correctly causing one motor to ingest water.

Here is the kicker. Be ready to be bootless wile its tied up in court. His had to stay in current condition till every thing was warped up and settled since it was the evidence in the case. Several surveyors, and suits will come inspect the boat and engines. They come up with every excuse and reason to delay anything!!! Then they will point the finger at you and how you were responsible for the brake down. In hopes you get fed up and just say F*** it. You have to stay protestant, and have plenty of vacation time from work.

After 3 years Charley finely settled for $28K. He just got the boat back into the water.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 92nsx
Bad news: You have to lawyer up and go after the shop for faulty workmanship, deprecation of value, lose of use, ect.

A fellow boater just got done with this when the shop didn't install risers correctly causing one motor to ingest water.

Here is the kicker. Be ready to be bootless wile its tied up in court. His had to stay in current condition till every thing was warped up and settled since it was the evidence in the case. Several surveyors, and suits will come inspect the boat and engines. They come up with every excuse and reason to delay anything!!! Then they will point the finger at you and how you were responsible for the brake down. In hopes you get fed up and just say F*** it. You have to stay protestant, and have plenty of vacation time from work.

After 3 years Charley finely settled for $28K. He just got the boat back into the water.

Two things, was he able to collect and what did it cost to get that far?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Here's the sad part, we see this all of the time in the aviation world, and most of the time, a faulty overhauled engine results in multiple deaths. Now you will have lawyers banging the door down trying to get the case because there is big $ involved. In your case it is small money involved, so it's not even worth their time.

Only difference between a vulture and a lawyer????? The lawyer earns frequent flyer mileage.......
Old 10-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Registered

Nice avatar 302....CJ3?
Old 10-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
Nice avatar 302....CJ3?
Yeah, good eye. It is an 06 with about 600 hours.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:18 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 92nsx

Never imagined that religion would have a bearing on this problem
Old 10-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My insurance company has already written the check for the new engine. They are going to pursue the shop. I am just wondering about trying to recover some of the money from the work that they said they did, but didn't. Luckily, everything is very well documented from my builder who has it now. To be honest, I'm just happy to have a new engine, it would be great to recover some of the money I spent on the **** work, but if not it's not really that big of a deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.