Question--Outdrive Placement >

Question--Outdrive Placement

Notices

Question--Outdrive Placement

Old 09-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question--Outdrive Placement

New guy here .... trying to learn as much as I can about powerboats and hulls and especially outdrives (no real reason other than curiosity).

After looking at a ton of pictures ... I noticed that outdrive placements are a little different for certain types of hull styles.

It appears that cats usually have a wider placement (again .. new guy ... but my thought here is that the outdrives for a cat have to be out wide simply because of the design of the boat?)

After looking at some V-Hulls ... it looks like the placement is more varied.

I have seen a ton of Outerlimit boats with a very close drive configuration ... while I have seen others with a much wider outdrive placement.
I imagine that there are different handling characteristics based on the placement ... there is probably some type of performance/speed logic for placement as well.

Thanks in advance for your help ... I have been on boats for years .. but nothing bigger or more powerful than a 26 foot Sea Ray .. my knowledge base is pretty low!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

To get drives closer together generally involves staggering the engines. Side by sides have wide deep drives and staggered lets you put both engines closer to centerline thus bringing drives closer.